invasive species

• phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

But then in that case why is it so hard to believe when gimruis mentioned his fish puking them up ? You said you needed to see pics to believe

It will help in the visual aid as seeing things is easier than relying on somebody’s word. Memories tend to get distorted. Maybe there was 1 rusty along with a bunch of regular crays?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Never meant for it to be personal.

I admit I have no idea what a eaurasian ruffe is.
    But a great lakes dnr study for all these show fish and birds eat them. So win win with both invasive-species being at the bottom of the food chain

Predators include pike perch, northern pike, some eel, burbot, lake trout, small-mouth bass, black crappie, bullheads, walleye, Eurasian perch, yellow perch, cormorants, and kingfishers.

CaptainMusky

i’d really like to see some pictures of the crayfish parts being puked up or in the bellies of caught fish. It also seems that some are glossing over the damage that the rustys do to the aquatic plants.

Rusty crayfish 100% are eaten by fish. I icefish woman lake a lot and it has rusty crayfish and I have had everything from perch, walleyes and smallmouth puke up Rusty crayfish. Obviously the bigger the fish the bigger the crayfish they can eat and 100% sure they were rustys no doubt. We would even get the rusty crayfish clamp down on our lures and we would pull them out of the water.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Maybe there was 1 rusty along with a bunch of regular crays?

Dude I already stated that there is no way to determine whether the parts a smallmouth is puking up is a native crayfish or a rusty. Likewise, stomach content studies don’t speciate that either when they find that a large part of a smallmouth bass diet is from crayfish.

robby
    Quad Cities

Common Carp, Silver Carp, Musky in the River here.

stevenoak

If fish ate crawfish. Lure makers would make lures that look like crayfish. Oh, wait a minute.. Never mind.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

i never said fish don’t eat crayfish. but keep doing your bit, it’s a good look.

duh queen

Hey, I know that fish can distinguish the difference in claw sizes. I was watching with my AquaVu the other day when fish were measuring the claws using their “scales”. However, the catfish, burbot and sturgeon all struggled in the exercise.

duh queen

Phish,
    Your ability to walk back a statement is in dire need at the Whitehouse. If I were you, I’d submit my resume and offer to replace Psaki. Circling back,…….

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Phish Not sure who you were directing that at?
    All I was doing was informing you on a few things. I appologize if you took information as a insult. My girlfriend does the same thing

stevenoak

In hopes to dose the fire. Google is your friend. Several articles from FWS, DNRS etc. Yes, fish eat rusty crayfish. Mentioned are Bass and Sunfish specifically. That said. Fish ARE MORE WARY of Rusty crayfish. As their claws are larger and they have a more aggressive nature. So, if it’s possible we may all be right.

Attachments:
    1. 20220210_1720126490-scaled.jpg

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I have no position on this banter, but biologically speaking fish mostly* only prey on crayfish in their molting stage, when they are known as “softshells”. So sunfish can absolutely prey on crayfish. Personally, I’ve cleaned many Vermilion walleye and have yet to see one. I’m sure they do though. Bass will make games out of eating them though.

Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.