Interesting Deer Harvest

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

So I wanted to follow up and make a post with the story of my buck from last Friday. So thanks to another IDO’er I got tipped off on the general area where a nice mature public land buck may be hanging out. I had Friday off anyway and wasn’t heading north until noon, so I thought I’d try and see if I could sneak in on this guy Friday morning. After setting up on the ground, and doing some mock scrapes and grunts at first light he came in soon after. Here’s where it turned interesting. He came to about 20-30 yards to my left, I shoot a Ravin and it’s significantly more accurate off a rest, so I had it on a bipod, I swung to my left and he froze. I got a good bead on him and got a clean pass through mid-body by the front shoulder. A GREAT hit I thought, but he tore off for a few seconds and I didn’t hear him crash or keep busting through. We were in some very thick woods off of a swamp, so I thought that was odd.

I went up to where I shot him, and couldn’t find any blood anywhere. Found my arrow that did in fact pass thru, and had some fat hanging off of it, but again no blood at where I thought I shot him, no blood on the trail he tore off down, and the only blood I found was on the arrow. So now slightly concerned, I backed out and called my brother to come help track/drag him (we were about a mile back, so it was going to be a work out). When my brother gets there, we search the shot area again for first blood, and find nothing. We search the trail I know he ran down, and no blood anywhere. We start grid searching the first blood area trying to find his trail, and nothing.

Now very concerned we start grid searching the area, and about 75 yards from where I shot him, my brother and I found his trail at about the same time 20 yards apart from one another and there was just a highway of blood to where the buck is piled up probably 125-150 yards from where I shot him. Strange that he made it that far with virtually no blood, but it gets weirder. It’s now about an hour and 45 minutes after I shot him, and he is stiff as a board. He was also cool to the touch yet still had warm blood pooled on his leg, and the deer itself could have stood up on it’s own if I propped him up he was so stiff. Cut him open and he was still very warm inside, but not hot. For reference it was mid-40 degrees out when I shot him, and probably mid-60’s by the time I was gutting him out. So I was shocked he was so cool to the touch but so stiff with rigor mortis (or whatever) for the warm weather? The shot ended up being nearly perfect front shoulder, however he was quartering to me more than I thought and it exited out mid body in front of his rear hip. One lung, the liver, and most of his upper organs were tore up. Just thought I’d put it out there for theories on why the quick rigor mortis? And how could such a devastating shot with entry and exit wounds not leave a blood trail for nearly 75 yards?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Here you can see the rigor Mortis and the entry point, which was a little high but still pretty good imo.

Attachments:
    1. CA36F0BA-698E-4276-BB74-D2DF38A68505.jpeg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

First off great buck! My only thought would be with it being a touch high it probably took longer for the chest cavity to fill to where the hole was to start leaving a trail. I don’t have much experience so take this with a huge grain of salt. Just an idea.

jake47
    WI

What type of broadhead? I have shot a few with 2-blade Killzones the last few years and have not been impressed with the blood trail.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What type of broadhead?

Montec G5’s Fixed blade.

Carter that was my first thought too, except for the exit wound should have still put out blood I’d think…

Justin riegel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jake47 wrote:</div>
    What type of broadhead?

Montec G5’s Fixed blade.

Carter that was my first thought too, except for the exit wound should have still put out blood I’d think…

Did you sharpen the Montecs or use them out of the package? I use to use them and found they were not very sharp out of package and this can lead to more tearing versus cutting. This leads to clotting.

The rigor was from it dying right away the deer was dead within minutes of the shot probably losing oxygen as it ran and some build up of latic acid. My friend double lunged on Saturday with his bow. When we went and retrieved it an hour and half later it had rigor as well.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Nice deer. I have no idea why there wasn’t blood or why he got so stiff but it’s a good story and nice animal.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Did you sharpen the Montecs or use them out of the package?

I used them straight out of the package, but checked them and they were razor sharp. Thanks for the explanation on the rigor and a similar experience, that’s what I kind of figured since it didn’t go far at all, but at the same time it was plenty warm.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

If you had fat on the arrow, good bet there was fat blocking the entry and exit. Even a large hole can clog easily sometimes. Also agree with a higher shot could result in delayed blood. Maybe you didn’t hit a good artery but it was ruptured while he ran.
    Nice buck. waytogo

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congrats!! That is a dandy

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Congrats! Nice buck.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Thanks! As I posted elsewhere, it’s my biggest with a bow, first with my xbow and 3rd biggest overall. I was and am pumped, but not as pumped as my boy! jester woot

Attachments:
    1. B6C7E9CE-F168-482E-A863-9C8CBE75D76A.jpeg

2. 00D7B051-1314-419B-B360-2AA1E849B993.jpeg

3. 93160EF6-D664-4F17-8E55-0D753F5F8FCE.png

Snap

Nice public land buck!

My only thought would be with it being a touch high it probably took longer for the chest cavity to fill

This. Cut hide won’t bleed enough to leave a blood trail. The blood comes from the internal organs which leak into the body cavity.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That’s an awesome shot of LittleWerm! Congrats on the buck!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Just at a theory. With the super fast speed of a crossbow, I wonder if the wound channel is more like a pin prick/clean cut. Shot a doe at 35 yrds with mi C/B and almost no blood. She was double lungs and bled internally. Fortunately she didn’t go far and dropped on a main trail she was on. I use DRT broadheads and they have been nothing short of amazing. This one had me questioning why so Lille blood.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quick kill and rigor sets in that fast.
    Heat takes time leave there body.

Bigwerm

Ditch them broadheads and get some grim reapers….

Attachments:
    1. 20191019_112640.jpg

CaptainMusky

Nice buck and interesting thoughts on why no blood for so far. My son shot his first deer last year during firearms and he was sitting with me. The shot was maybe 10 yards with a 270 and absolutely hammered it. Deer ran off, but no other shots could be made. It ran the direction of my other two boys and dropped right behind them. As a teaching moment I wanted my son to track the deer, but to my surprise there was none for about the same distance you talked about. Thankfully we werent too worried since my other two boys said it was right behind their stand, but that was odd. He was shooting balistic tip bullets too which I would have thought would have been devastating. I am guessing its the same reason as described because the shot was a tick high, but angled down and blew everything apart inside.

Red Eye

Nice deer!
    I’ve also seen this happen. Both with rifle and bow shot deer. Kinda scary to think about how many people don’t follow up to the extant that you did. Maybe look for blood at shot site but when they don’t find any think they missed and call it a miss.

CaptainMusky

Maybe look for blood at shot site but when they don’t find any think they missed and call it a miss.

Agreed! Makes me really question how long we looked for a deer my same son shot at before he ended up getting the one he did. We looked for about 45 minutes and didnt find hair or a spec of blood, but after what happened later in the year I began to wonder if we looked long/far enough. Dang!

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Rage Trypan would be another great option. Obviously the Montec did it’s job, but modern crossbows have SO MUCH more energy than a vertical bow can muster, that it really doesn’t make sense to not run an expandable. Smaller profile in flight (generally better accuracy) and larger cutting diameters puts all that energy to good use vs. burying a bolt 10″ in the dirt on the other side.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Nice buck especially on public land. I agree with the blood needed to fill the cavity theory on a “ground to ground” shot. I had one “clot up” after laying for awhile and then ran off when approached. when I found him, fat had plugged the hole. A bear hunter friend told me to use a two blade broad head and index the blade to be oriented up and down. Two reasons,…one longer slit harder to plug and most vessels run horizontally. Having mentioned these tips, I wasn’t all that happy with the last blood trail after a serious of good ones. I guess some luck is involved in exactly what gets cut on the way thru. Always some anxious moments after the shot.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.