In this day and age

• muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

You are conflating the electoral college with states’ policies on “winner take all” process. I think more states should be like Nebraska and Maine, where electorates are given to the districts they won. Biden won 1/5 of Nebraska’s electorates and Trump won 1/4 of Maine’s.

Just to be up front no political biases here just my thoughts. As BuckyBadger said if it is a different or the same president we will all get up tomorrow and go on with our lives.

Greenhorn I agree with you post about districts. Districts would most likely give a better representation for most areas of the state based on how they voted. One issue, I can envision with this, who picks the districts, guess that would be the politicians.

If you look at Minnesota and Wisconsin for example, there is a lot of red areas but blue got all the electoral votes.

Oh well it is toast time

mojogunter

So you want a new law that prohibits a citizen their right to vote if they don’t own a homestead, or not receiving public assistance? With that logic a person that owns more should get more votes based on what they pay in. In a democracy like ours you have to take the good with the bad. I am all for getting rid of the electoral college. I don’t understand the logic that without the electoral college your vote counts less than someone else’s vote depending on where you live.

I’m fine with getting rid of the electoral college. If and only if, there is a law to go along with it.
    You either own a homestead, or are not currently receiving a certain dollar amount of public assistance before you can vote.

The way it is now, there are so many folks on the dole, that of course they are gonna vote for more free handouts. This keeps the party they vote for in control of them for the rest of their lives.

It’s not right IMO, that the people that do no giving and only taking even get a vote.

frank z

Without the electoral college there would no need to hold an election with the big cities so liberal the republicans would never win an election again.

Brad Dimond

Pig-hunter wrote:
    I’m fine with getting rid of the electoral college. If and only if, there is a law to go along with it.
    You either own a homestead, or are not currently receiving a certain dollar amount of public assistance before you can vote.

The way it is now, there are so many folks on the dole, that of course they are gonna vote for more free handouts. This keeps the party they vote for in control of them for the rest of their lives.

It’s not right IMO, that the people that do no giving and only taking even get a vote.

So farmers shouldn’t get to vote – approximately 40% of farm income in much of the U.S. comes from farm subsidies. Many other industries are subsidized in some form, be it direct payments, tax credits, tax deductions, tax exemptions (see Foxconn as an example) – should people working in those industries not get a vote?

Beast

My thoughts, Our elections need a complete overhaul, we need a way to verify absentee ballots were cast by the person who sent them, You know when the election day is, they need to be postmarked before that day, those ballots then should be opened in front of observers from both, Or all parties running .same with machine tallies at the end of the election day. All election laws should be the same across the nation.

mojogunter

In MN all those things should have happened. You must have voted in person and know nothing about mail in votes. If you mailed in your vote you had to write your state ID number on the ballot. They then check to make sure your ID number matches and also check the signature to see if it matches the signature on file. The one thing that was removed this year due to covid is that they didn’t require a witness of the signature, but the signature was checked as I said. Other states I have no idea of the laws in other states, but I would hope they would be the same or very close.

My thoughts, Our elections need a complete overhaul, we need a way to verify absentee ballots were cast by the person who sent them, You know when the election day is, they need to be postmarked before that day, those ballots then should be opened in front of observers from both, Or all parties running .same with machine tallies at the end of the election day. All election laws should be the same across the nation.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

The electoral college stems from needing the 13 original states in the Articles of Confederation to vote to ratify the new proposed constitution. The census basis that was used had slaves count as 3/5 of a person and thus GA, SC, NC, VA, & MY, ratified since they had significant numbers of slaves.
    The # of Reps has been fixed now for over a hundred years, as previously noted. If congress sees fit they will adjust but then that would mean a dilution of each members influence / power. Ya think that will be happening soon?
    Wide spread election fraud, in my opinion, has a better chance of scanners being tweeked to miscount than the 10s of thousands of forged ballots to be sneaked into the system.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Mojogunther is spot on.
    I had a text 2 days after I voted early from one of the political parties asking me encourage others to also vote early.
    Thus you could also 2X check to see if your ballot was received.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

getting rid of the electoral college
    would be akin to saying that China’s population should decide the direction of the world because they have more people (population, popular vote, etc.).

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

If you dislike and distrust politicians and the way things are now, what do you think it would be like without the electoral college?

Why would anyone running for president waste his or her time in the middle of the country when your vote would matter little becausethe majority of the population live on the east and west coast?

Do you want chicago, California and New York steering the direction of the country?

castle-rock-clown

I don’t know…it seems the longer it takes the better and more gratifying it seems to be. Now the question is are we talking about the election or are we talking about sex???

Either way we’re getting screwed.

Tom schmitt

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>
    forget this archaic electoral college.

100% agree. I can’t believe it’s lasted this long.

If you get rid of the electoral college you had better like what big city people like.
    The big population centers like LA, NY, and locally Minneapolis will decide everything.
    Ask rural ontario how they like Toronto making their decisions.

Beast

I don’t fully understand Nebraska electoral college system, but it appears better than what we’re using now.

castle-rock-clown

It’s funny, we all like an election system that in the end puts our candidate in the lead, and find fault with a system that has “our guy” losing.

It would be interesting to see if there was a similar thread such as this one in this forum 4 years ago???

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

So farmers shouldn’t get to vote – approximately 40% of farm income in much of the U.S. comes from farm subsidies. Many other industries are subsidized in some form, be it direct payments, tax credits, tax deductions, tax exemptions (see Foxconn as an example) – should people working in those industries not get a vote?

They own a homestead now don’t they.

Brad Dimond

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brad Dimond wrote:</div>

They own a homestead now don’t they.

So if they own property it is OK to be on the dole…

Slipbob nick

I’m assuming well be
    Voting via an app next election. Just kidding. But who knows. The longer this one goes the less
    I care.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I completely disagree we get rid of the Electoral College, we just need it to used correctly. Get rid of the winner take all for every state, that was never the intent of our founding fathers, as it gives large cities an insurmountable advantage at the presidential level, which is the complete opposite of how it was designed. Having just one large city should not decide the entire state.

Each electoral vote should be won individually, so that means each district must be won in order to get all votes for that state. For the most part, our country is decided by large cities which bad, as that leads to mob rule on many levels of government. The executive branch is meant to be decided by a cross section of our country, not just large cities.

While your at it, get all political parties OUT of the counting vote process. As much as it pains me to say it, votes should be counted by state / federal part time election workers. No more volunteers, and NO parties involved. And you set the rules and stick by them. No changing the rules. It should not be hard to figure them out.

Term limits are next, 2 terms and your OUT, and you cannot run for office while you are in office, do your job first, then move on if you want to run in the next election cycle.

Hey, I can dream, or at least so I was told

Paulski

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Land does not vote people do .

bigpike

Its official. We now have a 77 year old president elect. I wonder if they will make as much fun of his age as the did with Reagan who was 69 when elected to his first term. Then again Trumpy bear was elected at 70

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Life long politicians should be banned. Its not supposed to be a career.
    To bad the people don’t all get together and give them a big f u

DTW

If you get rid of the electoral college, Los Angeles county would have the potential to have more votes than 40 other States. 40 STATES! Hell no, the founders of this country were genius with this process.

DTW

castle-rock-clown

Life long politicians should be banned??? If their doing a bad job for their constituents they would get voted out. It’s a self correcting situation. I’m sure I’ll roil all the “all politicians are crooks” crowd, but if a guy or gal is doing good, then keep them on the job. Would you want term limits for other professions like Doctors, cops, auto mechanics???And a multitude of others?

Hello sir, you need heart surgery. The experienced doctor was forced to leave after 8 years, but we got this new guy…you’ll be his first surgery patient.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Castle rock clown

Seriously an analogy between a Doctor and a Politician?

Good grief.

Doctor – years of schooling.
    Politician – years of panhandling.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

With all the brilliant people in the United States we have these 2 people as our choice for president?

Shame on us!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

People who don’t like the electoral college don’t understand the principles of a republic or they know a popular vote would mean their party would win the presidency in perpetuity.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

With all the brilliant people in the United States we have these 2 people as our choice for president?

Shame on us!

Of the 100’s of posts made the last month about politics you summed it up in one sentence.

We deserve everything we got the last 4 years and the next 4 years. As you said, shame on us.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpout guy wrote:</div>

Shame on us!

Of the 100’s of posts made the last month about politics you summed it up in one sentence.

We deserve everything we got the last 4 years and the next 4 years. As you said, shame on us.

2 turds and they both stink.

Karry Kyllo

We just had a chance to “vote for someone better” as you put it and we did. You think no one over 65 can run this country? Ridiculous. Biden is no clown. Americans that believe in democracy just won this election.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

We just had a chance to “vote for someone better” as you put it and we did. You think no one over 65 can run this country? Ridiculous. Biden is no clown. Americans that believe in democracy just won this election.

LOL

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘In this day and age’ is closed to new replies.