In line ice reels

• Drumshooter
    NULL

Been thinking one purchasing one. Do alot of fishing for gills and crappies. I ise a swivel to help with line twist but it doesnt completely take care of all the twist. Any suggestions??? I’m most concerned with the drag systems.

monstermatt
    Minnesota

I got one of the tony roach in line reels last year and haven’t looked back! I really like the fact that it has a push button spool release and it has a good drag. I have used the 13 Black Betty and the clam ice spooler and the tony roach is the best of what I’ve used.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

There should be no worry with drag. If anything set loose and feather the spool

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Even with a in-line you can get line twist but it is not the fault of the reel. A simple little jig with a waxworm not centered correctly can cause your line to twist while descending. I always use a swivel because I use heavier line on my spool and line appropriate for what I’m fishing on my leader. I also use invisaawivels because they are made out of floral carbon and are neutrally buoyant. That way I do not get slack in my leader because another type of metal swivel could be heavier than my jig.

As far as drag you can rebuild them to work better than with the washers that came in the reel. Joel Nelson had a article on this two years ago and Bronzback also has had some good threads about doing it.

Drumshooter
    NULL

I see the tony roach is an eagle claw. There are a few models. Which range from $35 to $70. Is the mid range model ok? Or is the high end one the only one to bother with? I want ti buy one but dont want to blow $70 if the mid range one is good for a first time in line reel.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I see the tony roach is an eagle claw. There are a few models. Which range from $35 to $70. Is the mid range model ok? Or is the high end one the only one to bother with? I want ti buy one but dont want to blow $70 if the mid range one is good for a first time in line reel.

I’ve been using the original EC inlines changed out drag washers cleaned and use reel butter in them and have no complaints. 1/2 hour battle with 50″ + Muskie on 4 # test is my testimonial to them.

Drumshooter
    NULL

Is it worth the money to get the aluminum spool model? Are the reels the same functionally other than the spool type? Both perform well in the cold?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Worth is subjective. I enjoy graphite, mold aluminum, to CNC forged aluminum reels. While the costs jumps may be huge, there is the precision that comes with each step up. I will say the graphite feels less cold to the hand.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Well There is no difference between the guts of the eagle claw or tony roach. Same guts and gearing inside them. The 13 fishing 6061 and the 8 fishing inline are identical guts also. The only difference is aluminum spool for the roach, and the 6061 are entirely aluminum. I currently have 15 inline reeks and can say performance wise there is not much difference. The plastic models weigh far less if weight is a issue and keep your hand warmer.

I have pretty well come to the conclusion all these reels need drag and lubrication work from the box. I remove the handle and spool and spray with brake clean to remove factory grease and lube. There are several great lubes to use. Ardent, hot sauce, I now using militec but any will work.
    Spray the bearings gears and moving parts of the reel and put back together. With the handle removed take star drag adjustment knob off. Under that in most models is a metal drag washer. Remove that and replace with a carbon fiber or several plastic washers. The washers I have are carbon fiber. Bring the metal washer with you to hardware store to get several of same size. If hardware store doesn’t carry auto parts stores should also have some. Install a few washers slightly thicker than the original metal one. Lube them up and re install star drag and handle. Your reel should feel tighter, spin far more free, and have a far more functional and sensitive drag!

Drumshooter
    NULL

Bronzback,
    Thanks for the info! I’ll do this once i finally get my hands on one!

Lawrence Luoma

Schooley’s are the number one winning reel on the NAIFC, Ultimate Panfish League and Team Extreme circuits. I even had the guys at Tuned Up Custom Rods build me custom rod just for the reel!!

Attachments:
    1. 10733847_10152774022748396_2735775062782679756_o.jpg

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Multiplier inlines work far better in deeper water. Plus they also work far better with heavier spoons and jigs. The old plastic schooley reels are better for shallower water. Everything has its place and you’ll see your icefishing tourney guys adapt the equipment to there benefit.

Lawrence Luoma

I can’t imagine how multipliers work better in deeper water for a couple of reasons. Even the 5mm tungsten I can’t strip off fast enough from a schooley without it bunching up while dropping a jig down a hole. A jig simply can’t fall fast enough. Using a slow reeling schooley to pull up a fish in deep water actually has many benefits for keeping a fish alive.

As for using spoons and etc. you loose any benefit at all using an in line reel as the spoons twist the line themselves and line twists aren’t an issue. You should be using a spinning reel while using a spoon because of it.

You would be amazed that every year there is new guys that show up with the best most expensive rod and reels made. By the end of the season they have joined the clue and have bought schooley’s.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have a Black Betty, operates smooth as silk. I just wish they would back reel. I never trust a drag, ever, especially in winter.
    Must be because of the old Johnson Sabre’s I used as a kid and lost some big ones when the drags malfunctioned.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

When fishing deep fish that are not tiny you don’t want it to take 5 minutes to get to the surface. Pressing the button on a fine tuned inline and watching it freespool 35 feet down is simply no comparison vs a plastic schooley. I own both and once you figure out how to trick out the reel you understand its advantages. Spoons, raps, pimples, run on braid to A swivel then a fluro leader fish better on a inline than a spinning reel. Lure free spools and line has no reverse kink to it. I’m done arguing with you about this. Believe as you wish.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Also as to you on schooley reels if you talk tournament success the Europeans pound you guys with palm rods. So I guess you should dump the schooley and get into the game. LOL

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

okuma reel

Got this fly reel and its smooth.

Brennon Nielson

Well There is no difference between the guts of the eagle claw or tony roach. Same guts and gearing inside them. The 13 fishing 6061 and the 8 fishing inline are identical guts also. The only difference is aluminum spool for the roach, and the 6061 are entirely aluminum. I currently have 15 inline reeks and can say performance wise there is not much difference. The plastic models weigh far less if weight is a issue and keep your hand warmer.

I have pretty well come to the conclusion all these reels need drag and lubrication work from the box. I remove the handle and spool and spray with brake clean to remove factory grease and lube. There are several great lubes to use. Ardent, hot sauce, I now using militec but any will work.
    Spray the bearings gears and moving parts of the reel and put back together. With the handle removed take star drag adjustment knob off. Under that in most models is a metal drag washer. Remove that and replace with a carbon fiber or several plastic washers. The washers I have are carbon fiber. Bring the metal washer with you to hardware store to get several of same size. If hardware store doesn’t carry auto parts stores should also have some. Install a few washers slightly thicker than the original metal one. Lube them up and re install star drag and handle. Your reel should feel tighter, spin far more free, and have a far more functional and sensitive drag!

i have the eagle claw inline reals and i am having a really hard time finding the carbon fiber washer. i have tried looking online and several hardware stores in town. any other guesses where to look? do they need to have the flat sides or can they just be plain round washers?

bronzbak
    Long way from home

You can try auto supply like autozone or one of them. Straight plastic thin washers will work better than metal. The goal is to stack them just enough so the star drag is more tunable. Plastic or carbon fiber is better less chance to freeze, corrode, or stick than metal.

They do not have to have flat sides straight round will work. Just be sure to lubricate them. Also make sure they are very smooth with no small knobs or burrs. That would prevent even and smooth pressure across the entire washer.

robby
    Quad Cities

I like the Shakespears especially for the money. They feature a small gear ratio, decent enough drag, switchable for right or left handed use, and a super cool freespool function for feeding line out when dropping your bait down the hole.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Original eagle claw inline – 4lb test line – ultra light st. Croix gold rod – BIG WALLEYE – NO PROBLEM

Attachments:
    1. image23.jpg

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I caught this on a No 8 Tackle Code blue.. Its a 1:1. 13 Fishing has the Black Betty which is the same reel just aluminum. You can catch any size fish on any reel as long as your patient.

I personally use the 6061 and Black Betty From 13 fishing and the CGI and Code Blue (no longer made) from No 8 Tackle. I have caught a ton of fish on all of these reels and have not had an issue with drag performance. Its all a matter of what you want to spend 100$ for a 6061 or 35 for a CGI.

Drumshooter
    NULL

Picked up a CGI inline reel today. Of all places found it at a convenience store that sold a small amount of tackle. Got it for $21. With these reels i noticed the small gap between the spool and side cover. Is there an issue with this icing up?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Don’t drop it in fluffy snow…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.