Ifishpro 2.0 Walleye

• DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I love first ice and all the action it brings! I finally got a chance to spend some time chasing flags from the NEW IFishPro Tip Up 2.0 and am very happy to say its a KEEPER! Has anyone else had a chance to play with it yet?

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

How’s it substantially different than mine, to which I added a thick layer of insulating spray foam to the underside?

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Trying one this year for the first time. Used the Finicky Fooler in the past. My IFP is the original version.

@BassThumb- how much did the spray foam help? Worth doing before season starts?

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

How’s it substantially different than mine, to which I added a thick layer of insulating spray foam to the underside?

Not sure how much more effective than the spray foam but I do know it works as good or better than the 2in foam tip up hole covers I cut to size and stuffed in my originals last season! If you don’t already have some IFishPro originals I would say this is a better investment upfront.

B-man

Does the foam even do anything with the big hole and slot in the middle?

Aaron Kalberer

The foam I added helped a bit, on -10 days or colder I scoop the skim ice off every 15 minutes or so.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Does the foam even do anything with the big hole and slot in the middle?

I made my own like someone else mentioned and I thought it was pointless for this reason.

B-man

Dave can you do a video of a pair side by side with play-by-play reports of ice formation?? jester

Don’t forget a third empty hole as a control )

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Dave can you do a video of a pair side by side with play-by-play reports of ice formation?? jester

Don’t forget a third empty hole as a control )

Actually not a bad idea and easy to pull off! toast

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

The spray foam helped quite a bit. I placed an empty cardboard toilet paper tube down the middle and foamed around it. When the foam dried, I tore out the tube and cleaned up the hole with a boxcutter. Worked better than expected and made a nice clean hole.

The original IFP is pretty much worthless without some sort of insulation when it’s below 20 degrees or so, unless you want to constantly be fiddling with it. You can also set an IFP on top of the foam tip-up hole covers. Works about the same as an IFT with spray foam insulation.

The main flaw in the IFP is that the line contacts the water in an unprotected open area that’s prone to freezing, no matter the foam/insulation configuration. There’s no substitute for a quality tip-up, like a Beaver Dam, when it’s cold as He** out. I only use the IFP on those really warm days. 90% of the time, my second line is a Beaver Dam with a hole cover. I’ll bring the IFP out from time to time as a gimmick. It’s a blast on those rare times it’s warm enough to be effective.

skfishing16

Finicky Fooler hole covers work awesome. I’ve fished in -10 to 0 temps. without having to skim a hole all day. And you can’t beat the tip-up. Simple to use, ultra sensitive and very compact.

tim hurley

Tip ups can jam up-check them before you go out, some work better with the arm on a particular side, use oil, WD40, whatever it takes to get that line moving out smoothly. I know with hammer handle pike it probably does not matter too much, but you might have a walleye or bass come by…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.