iFish Minnesota app

• Nice Fella

As reported today by AP, via KARE11.com:

“ST. PAUL, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is working with University of Minnesota researchers to come up with a smartphone application for anglers.
    Minnesota Public Radio News reports the free app, iFish Minnesota, would allow anglers log what they’re catching, how big and where.
    The DNR wants to gauge how fishing affects lakes and to ensure fish populations can reproduce.
    Melissa Treml, fisheries research and policy manager for the DNR, says that has long involved someone going out and interviewing hundreds of anglers on large lakes in the state.
    After a year of data collection, researchers will compare the app data with their traditional data-collection methods.
    Similar apps are being used in Alberta, Canada, Denmark and Florida.
    Treml says the DNR won’t share anglers’ secrets.”

Who’s in?! wink

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I was going to approach the DNR with my app for this purpose. AS long as people can opt out, I thinks its a great idea. If enough people participate, its greater than creel surveys, because there are only so many resources for that.

My app? Look for the beta around 2022. coffee

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve been using it for a few weeks now.

The most expensive part of lake surveys is the creel census. By having each of us use this app the DNR will be able to have a more accurate reading of the lake or river. Yes they know there will be some inaccuracies and have taken that into consideration.

The DNR is giving this app out at no charge to us at this time.

Here’s a how to video from Darren Troseth on how to use it.

Richard Hewitt

You know it’s a shame that the DNR decided to partner with this app. I tried it and it is very dated and not that great. The Fishidy app is much better and something that I want to actually use. But, I can’t log my catches in two apps, that’s just ridiculous! So, unfortunately the DNR is not going to get my data… it’s a bit of a conundrum for me really.

I’m going to send them a note to partner with Fishidy.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My app? Look for the beta around 2022.

By then, apps in general will be obsolete.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

My app?

I remember you had something in the works that we discussed a few years ago. It was in your profile or something.
    My memory is somewhat lacking. frown

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve been struggling with it as well. It’s hard to record a catch when there are others in the boat.

That and it took me forever to figure out how to start a trip.

…then again I’m a bit on the slow side.

Richard Hewitt

Yeah it’s just a very outdated app. Very 2010.

I’ve sent messages to both MN DNR and Fishidy re: getting the Fishidy app on board and have gotten responses from both.

Probably won’t happen, but ya gotta at least try a little.

Until then I will continue using Fishidy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just wondering if you could print out your data from Fishidy and send it in? Depending on how much data you have, I would think the DNR would be interested.

No matter what app the DNR chooses, not everyone will be happy. But it’s good that you gave them some feedback.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    My app? Look for the beta around 2022.

By then, apps in general will be obsolete.

FML..

I remember you had something in the works that we discussed a few years ago. It was in your profile or something.
    My memory is somewhat lacking. frown

I am trying to force myself to get back on it. I’ve made some what of a start, I moved my website to a different hosting package to save money. The website is basically being parked right now to keep me ranked in searches.

Talked to a guy who has a guy who has a weather app and pointed me in the right direction for a weather provider.

The deal is my app is several Android versions behind. I am going to finish it as is and get a group of users to test it as a prototype while I upgrade everything.

My desire to finish it now that I am settled down is 2 fold. I am at least half way done with it. Secondly it will be a nice piece to put on my resume.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

What’s an “app” ?

Gold-durned whippersnappers and their new-fangled contraptions.

SR

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.