IDO TV – Hot Bite on Lake of the Woods

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Video Details: Season 9 – Episode 8. Ice Fishing. Walleye. Dave Koonce joins In-Depth Outdoors host James Holst for an awesome walleye bite in the Northwest Angle at Sunset Lodge – http://www.sunsetlodgeresort.com/

Don’t forget to set those DVRs or tune in next Sunday at 8AM on FSN to catch the next show!

———————————————————————-

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Love my AK-48 made by TUCR !!!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

“If I can fish Viking’s colors, I can fish pink” I am guessing that the first fish shown on pink was a beaut!!! Had a good day Kooncer, so check will be in the mail… Don’t remember if you had your address in the last pm or not…

Mark

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Here are a couple of photos of the TUC AK-48 peace and the case I’m using..

Attachments:
    1. 20150125_1103071.jpg

2. 20150125_110227.jpg

fireline
    Rochester

Were you fishing Minnesota waters ?

Chumba

Dave is that a metal arm on your marcum?? And if so where would one be able to get that!!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Dave is that a metal arm on your marcum?? And if so where would one be able to get that!!

Check out Shane123 here on IDO !!!

He can customize an arm for you..

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

That would be a big yes !!

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Sweet show.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

How long of a drive is it from Young Bays Resort to Sunset? Map quest only goes as far a Young Bays.
    Or how long of a drive is it from Baudette to Sunset?

Tonka
    Minnesota

It’s hard to rank the shows but I’d have to place this one in the top three of this year. Awesome job and thanks for posting the video on youtube this morning, always thankful for that.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

How long of a drive is it from Young Bays Resort to Sunset? Map quest only goes as far a Young Bays.
    Or how long of a drive is it from Baudette to Sunset?

It’s about a 15 minute truck ride via the ice road. I believe it takes an hour and 15 via snowmobile maybe a little bit longer from baudette to sunset on the lake.

NapaNick
    Twin Cities, MN

Eelpout guy, last year we took the bomber from Sportsmans to Sunset Lodge. If I recall it was around 45 min-1 hour doing about 25-28 mph. We had another group that drove around through Canada to get there and we both showed up about the same time.

NapaNick
    Twin Cities, MN

Love my AK-48 made by TUCR !!!

As usual another great episode. I find myself tuning in every Sunday morning to watch the show and live vicariously through you guys on the hot bites. An infant and 2 elementary aged kids will do that to a guy. cool With that being said I do have one trip coming up to LOTW.

I have a question for you Dave. When you fish the Rippin Rap, do you use a swivel tied a foot or two above the Rippin Rap or do you tie directly to the Rippin Rap? I’ve only fished one a couple times with minimal success. Thanks in advance for the tip.

Bassn Dan

Thanks for the rod case photos. Looks like a perfect fit.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have a question for you Dave. When you fish the Rippin Rap, do you use a swivel tied a foot or two above the Rippin Rap or do you tie directly to the Rippin Rap? I’ve only fished one a couple times with minimal success. Thanks in advance for the tip.

I did use a swivel mostly because I was using braid to floro leader.. James was using straight fluorocarbon and was not using one..I don’t think is 100% necessary. .

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I did use a swivel mostly because I was using braid to floro leader.. James was using straight fluorocarbon and was not using one..I don’t think is 100% necessary. .

The Rippin Raps don’t seem to cause much line twist so I’ve always opted to not use one. Your mileage may vary.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That 48″ TUCR Dave was fishing about wore me out. Every time he’d stick a fish I’d look over and assess the bend in his rod and come running convinced that he had a giant hooked up and would need a hand at the hole… only to have it turn out to be an 18″ fish. mrgreen

shamus
    Inactive

That was a really fun episode. Thanks guys!

Which braid did you have spooled up Dave? How warm was it when you guys were fishing? I’d like to use braid outside during the ice season, tried it once with poor results due to ice up of the line.

NapaNick
    Twin Cities, MN

Thank you James and Dave for your input. I really appreciate it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Which braid did you have spooled up Dave? How warm was it when you guys were fishing? I’d like to use braid outside during the ice season, tried it once with poor results due to ice up of the line.

The high temps were right near the freezing mark so the braid wasn’t icing up too much. Cold temps and braid don’t play well together in my opinion but any time you’re near 32 degrees or above I’ll use it outside.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

8 lb Suffix Ice Braid…
    If i was going to do it over.. I would opt not to do the braid… i think it cost me a few fish as I could not get the line out as fast as I wanted to..

When the fish are on the Marcum.. You need to get that bait down to them asap !!

shamus
    Inactive

Right on thanks guys. I figured it must have been close to 32* if you were doing okay with the braid. I just need to buy some extra spools for my reels to have handy when it gets to the right temp.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

What rod were you using James? Was it a QT?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What rod were you using James? Was it a QT?

No, it is a new blank that TUCR will be releasing next season that we’ve been prototype testing for the last couple winters. This particular blank has been perfected in my opinion and should be ready for release going into next season. It is intended for the guys that run bigger, heavier baits like rattle baits, big spoons or larger jigging raps or fish bodies of water where larger fish are common place – LOTW, Lake Erie, Winnipeg, etc. I know it doesn’t have an official name yet but I call mine “BFH.” Stands for BIG FISH HAMMER! smash

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

lol @ big fish hammer!!!!

Thanks for the episode. was really cool to see my custom transducer arms on the tv. Gives me a big feeling of pride.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

lol @ big fish hammer!!!!

Thanks for the episode. was really cool to see my custom transducer arms on the tv. Gives me a big feeling of pride.

You make a great product, Shane. I’ve yet to run into anyone that had anything but good things to say about your arms or your customer service.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Thanks James! Who woulda thought 3 years ago when I was waiting for the LX9 to be released, that making a little “bling” for my unit would turn into this….

Same goes for IDO, I’m sure back when you started it, you weren’t thinking it would grow this much or have such a following. Keep up the good work, I truly enjoy the shows as well as the tips on fishing and using my sonar to its maximum capabilities!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.