Still Ice in Iowa

• iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I live in the Northern part of Iowa and I still drilled through 15″ of ice here. None of my fishing buddies would go with me as there is some open water in areas with lots of water coming in. I fished a barrow pit along the interstate and there was open water on one end, but after drilling a few holes I was not worried. I caught lots of all kinds of fish. Too many smaller crappies to count and then a school of of very small bass moved under my hole. I could not keep them off. Ended up keeping these 10 crappies and one perch for a meal. These were nice size for Iowa. I know I missed plenty others as most of the bites were very light. I caught these on a variety of presentations. The hardest hits came on a clown GilPil with a Gulp alive minnow on. I was amazed how most hits were very light and then I would just get slammed by one. All in all, it was a great day on the ice.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Nice report. I wish we were only drilling through 15″. Double that around here. Open water can’t come soon enough this year… at least for me!!!

shaley
    Milford IA

Still guys driving full sized trucks on the ice here in NW Iowa as of today….

grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

I watched the crew pull a pickup out of Big Spirit at Buffalo Run this afternoon. Also heard that a vehicle went through on Anglers Bay. Watch the edges people, they are getting rotten.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

iacanoeguy,

What type of jig rod is that in your picture. I used to fish with a guy along the Mississippi that had one just like it. He said he got it from his dad many years ago. Whats the name on that rod and do they make it anymore?

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Sorry – so long on the answer – I DON”T KNOW – Yes, it is very old, the first one I ever got. I have replace a few reel, but really like the pole. Has nice eyes that don’t freeze up. I have a few newer more sensitive ones, but I really like this one with Fireline on it. Wish I could tell you the brand/model

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.