Lake Winnie

• woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Anyone been on Winnibigoshish since the warm up. I was reading on the IDO Winnie lake forum page that said alot of the snow went away and the slush froze up and you can go just about anywhere.

If anyone has been up there lately, how is the perch and walleye fishing. What depths and or bottom structure was most productive for you? What types of jigs/colors/bait has been working for you?

Im heading up Weds morning and will have 3.5 days of fishing with a few guys from work. Usually don’t catch too much but a few for a fish fry. The bottle bass usually make an appearance or two.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

I was out there last weekend on saturday and sunday. There is alot less snow out there but off road travel is difficult with a truck. My buddy had his jeep thats all set up and we never got stuck but close, our other buddys f250 got stuck all the time and he has good tires.

Sat. we targeted perch on the mid lake humps. Got to the first hump at 3pm and the fish were on top in 21′ and by 4:30 I was set up in 25′ and he was in 23′. Ended up catching 40-50 by 6pm and we kept 30 most being 10-11.5″ Using a full minnow didnt catch as many asjust heads but they were bigger.

Sunday we tried another hump going for eyes but had no luck. Started off catching some more jumbos and then once they left we had some eyes come in but nothing but lookers and a 6lb pike. We would have moved but with the high wind we said the heck with it.

Alot of guys are heading up towards zoomers for perch and I believe highbanks has a rd up there. The eyes have been a hit or miss for everyone. Most are targeting the perch. Good Luck!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

We will also be splitting time between Winni and Leech and a few smaller lakes around. I’m thinking we might just have to stick to the roads and see if we can get on to a hump with a short walk. With this cold weekend the slush on the roads should be solid. Just have to bring plenty cocktails to keep the body warm. We didn’t go to Zoomers last year, went around Bena bar and did pretty good.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Im not exactly sure where on Winnie we are going to fish. Alot of it depends on the roads and if there is any off road travel with trucks. If Highbanks has a road to Zoomers we might try that one day. I guess we will have to see.

sledgod
    Sparta, WI

What a coincendence I’m also going to Winnie this weekend…gonna try Zoomers first thing on Wed and see what conditions are for the rest of the trip. May see ya up there Woody.

Mike S

Was there for 3 days last weekend. Wasn’t an issue driving with wheel house on the lake. With this cold weather this week you should be able to drive just about anywhere. We went out of Denny’s. Not much snow to worry about.

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Any reports off the north end of Winnie?
    Woody should be drumming and eagles building their
    nest at Squaw Lake by now.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

That’s good news. Hopefully being mobile will help us stay on the fish.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.