Ice Fishing Shelter

• rsballar6941
    Minnesota

I dont usually post on this side of the ido websites but am in need for some advise. I have really gotten into the ice fishing adventures and am looking at purchasing an ice shelter but am unsure on which style I should go with. I like to move around searching for fish so thought something like a flip-over would benefit me in that area, then again I fish mostly with my old man so thought something that heavy could become a bit much especially if he were to go by himself. I have been looking into the Clam Summit Thermal for the purpose of the spacious room, more than anything I think I would like more fishable area rather than luxurious commodities. I also like the fact that those pop outs are easy to transport from one area to the next.

If anyone has some insight on what they would do in a situation like this please help me out Also, I should have mentioned I would like to keep the price somewhere under $500 if at all possible! Thanks

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Hub shelters are great but they also need a little bit more care to prevent mishaps. Be gentle with them, they are prone to tear easy. The hub joints shouldn’t be placed down or banged, they tend to break. Take the time to fold the material like an umbrella, it will prevent premature crease damage and pin holes in the material.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

I like the flip over myself. There not that hard to handle. Most of the time a person is driving on the ice with some sort of transportation anyway. Getting one in the back of the truck by ones self can be tricky some times though. Of course I have all my stuff in the shack at all times so this makes it even heavier. That’s a good thing about a flip over also. You can keep all your gear in it, so you only have the one sled. My 2cents

rsballar6941
    Minnesota

Well I went with the clam summit thermal and used it yesterday for the first time, wow what an extreme difference from what im used to fishing. It has tons of room especially for two people and is easy to set up and take down. Although I more than likely will purchase a two man flip over in the future, this clam was hard to turn down for $275 brand spanking new Thanks to the both of you for the advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.