Auger ???

• col._klink
    St Paul

Got a Strikemaster Lazer…..Problem not cutting well. Took the auger to Big Lake and they adjusted the pitch on the auger itself. But It still wobbles I noticted that the where the power head meets the auger shaft is where the wobble is coming from. If you stand the unit upright like your going to cut a hole you can rock the power head back and forth about a 1/2″ each way.

Is this normal? Can it be fixed? Any advice would be great!!! Thanks for the help. Got a week long trek coming up and not liking the idea of fighting with my auger to drill holes.

red89
    Hudson

Used or new? Might have to replace the bushing there.

arklite881south

I have an old Strikemaster Lazer that has a bit of play between the head and the shaft also. It is my Grandfather auger. He’s been there for me from the beginning!! I think I’ve burned a million holes with it, and I’m about ready to retire it to the cabin wall with a plaque by it for a lifetime achievement!! In my case the unit still cuts like a charm though, so my guess would be this won’t be an issue for cutting properly. Not sure what they adjusted with your auger, but because these augers are so finely tuned to be fierce cutting machines if the pitch is changed slightly the cutting is simply not the same. In all honesty I’ve been as guilty as the next guy in past years popping my auger on the sheet to clear some ice of the blades. I guess it is forums like ours that give that gentle reminder to probably not do that!! LOL!! Not saying that was the case with your auger, but just a reminder for all of us “Iceheads!”

loshinit420

My lazer mag does the same thing once in awhile, just tighten the bolt that holds the shaft together. Mine uses an allen wrench.

Jaya
    Zimmerman, MN

Quote:

My lazer mag does the same thing once in awhile, just tighten the bolt that holds the shaft together. Mine uses an allen wrench.

I had that allen bolt fall out, luckily i wasn’t through the ice yet!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

I had that allen bolt fall out, luckily i wasn’t through the ice yet!

Eventually they work loose. I’ve been throwing a wrap of electrical tape or two around the bolt hole so should it loosen up it won’t fall out which could result in the loss of an auger. When it comes time to re-torque the bolt should the power head to auger connection get a little sloppy the tape is easily removed and often reusable.

herb
    6ft under

My Jiffy and my friend’s Strikemaster are both a bit wobbly. I accept it as being normal.They still cut holes like they are supposed to

travp
    Blaine , Mn

On my old mag 3/lazer bit the head would wobble a bit. My new solo is pretty tight though.

Jaya
    Zimmerman, MN

I fixed mine by putting a longer bolt with a locking nut.

crappies

i have a buddy who put some rubber o rings on his and the play went away. plus its like a shock. just a thought?

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

On the bottomside of the gear box, there is a brass oil lite flanged sleeve bearing. This sleeve bearing is designed to wear. When it does wear down, it is VERY easily confused with not having that connecting bolt attached.

If you let the brass get too worn you will eventually wear out the drive shaft pinions shaft that rides inside the sleeve bearing. This is a much spendier fix. In all my strikemaster years, I have replaced one sleeve bearing. The little bit of wobble is non-issue, but If you must have a solid mate, replace that bearing. Its cheap, the pinions shaft is not.

col._klink
    St Paul

Thanks for the help!! Stopping by Strikemaster on the way to Red to take care of it!!!

col._klink
    St Paul

Well I took my auger to strikemaster and they set me up! They ended up shimming the power head where it meet the auger. Adjusted the pitch on the auger. And the weirdest thing turns out I have a 9″ auger heres the probelm. Somehow I forgot this little bit of info over the years. I remember asking Frankies for the new blades to fit a 9″ “They dont make a 9″ John only 8”! Wow. I listened to him………….

Anyways with the right blades and the work that was done my auger cuts and runs WAY better then new! 40″ of ice in no time at all. I have been hole hoping like crazy making cheese out there! Thanks to the folks in Big Lake. Even got a smile out the the crabbiest woman in the world (Lady behind the counter)

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Good deal colklink

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.