Small Permanent house help please

• arklite881south

Gentleman!! Here is what I’m looking to do for next season. I am looking to add some smaller/lightweight permanent houses on skis or skids that I can utilize for satelite houses deep into Rainy Lake. These houses need to be Light and able to be pulled with a utility sled. I’m thinking 4×7 or 5X7. If anyone has any ideas or options of companies or home designs please let me know. This will further enable our guide service to locate our customers on walleyes off the beaten paths in comfort and warmth. These utilized with our growing fleet of Otter Portables will also have the Rainydaze Search and Destroy team SMILING!!

Ideas fellas??

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Chris, This maybe just what the doctor ordered. You can search Mille Lacs custom on internet. This is what I found on craigs list. Actually thinking about looing into one as an option to my big Lodge house.
    Happy shopping for the “Search and destroy” mission.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/spo/2137324590.html

arklite881south

Keep them coming guys!! I am going to check with both of these parties. The Skid system is going to have to be pretty tough to withstand some towing. My thought is a custom aluminum tow bar that can be transferred to other houses. I do like how the second house has the skids high up from the house to hopefully keep snow from plowing in front. I think a wider ski for flotation might be in order depending on conditions, but just a thought.

Again THANKS and PLEASE keep the ideas coming

fiskyknut

RD check out Soderbloom aluminum and foam skid houses. They’re nice and may be kinda what your thinking.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

HA – my first idea that I am going to share is what you see a lot of around IA, but then I looked at all the other ideas and mine seems, well CHEAP. Here it is anyway. We get those old chemical tanks from farm chemical companies and put skies on them to make them pullable. If you put the word out, sometimes even get them for free. I don’t have a pic right now as I am at my office. I will try to take one when I head out fishing. Guys that don’t want to move them, just pull them on the ice, bank them up and let them set. You can do the insides as fancy as you like.

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Love to see a pic of your idea

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

I have seen a few like that with the tanks. Andy – Todd works at Farm Chem which is one of the companies that sell those tanks throughout the US.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Chris, if youe aer building houses you might try aluminum truck toppers. You can generally get them cheap or free, light weight, windows, shorter walls because they are about 2′ tall. They do condensate a lot of moisture and drip when uninsulated, you can glue foam on the tops to prevent or spray foam too. Hope this might help or strike up other ideas. -Mark

icepromk
    sw wi

i fished out of a couple permanent shacks that my buddy made on thursday. they were 4×8. i am 6 1 tall and with my shorty panfish pole i was hugging the hole. my advice, go with 5 ft wide. 8 ft was plenty long for two, woulda been ok for 3.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Hey Daze,

Sorry I’m late to the show…

My buddy Chad and I made this ice shack a few years back in college. It was a 4×8 shack that could fish 2 guy’s (Skids went 10ft long, shack was 8ft and we added a small storage box on the front of the skids for 12v batt etc). We put it on skids with plastic runners and I could push it around with ease, super light. We fully insulated and added 12v power etc.

A couple hundred and a few cases of beer and you could get it done pretty easy.

I sold it last year but if you’re interested in building something like this yourself, I can prob dig up some more old pictures.

Good Luck with whatever you do

arklite881south

Hey Pete,

Similiar concept as to what I’m thinking. Probably going to end up going aluminum frames to have them last a bit. Still that size structure is almost exactly what I’m considering. I do believe I’ll end up with 5×7 shacks. Thanks everyone for the input!! I truly appreciate it!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.