Chetek Chain 12/15/10

• mduffy1969

Got out on the chain here in Chetek again today. As is the story everywhere the ice is covered in slush. We managed to find a spot where the top layer had frozen solid so I poked a couple holes with my brand spankin new Strikemaster Lazer Mag (what a machine!) and set up the shack. We were in 12 ft. of water and had fish on the flasher all afternoon. It was too sloppy to get really motivated to be mobile so we stayed put. Generally the fish were much less aggressive than they have been over the course of the last week or so but we caught probably 35 or 40 and kept a dozen really nice gills apiece for a meal. Overall I have been impressed with the quality of the gills we’ve been catching on the chain. Really nice fish this year and I am hoping to see the trend continue. I wish we could see the quality of the crappies increase like the gills have. You catch an occasional edible crappie on the chain but generally they are small and paper thin. Like I said I broke the Strikemaster in today and am thoroughly impressed with the ease of drilling holes. When things firm up and we are hole hoppin a little more I’ll gladly volunteer to run the auger. It’s awesome! Anyway, that’s a little report from my corner of the chain. Headed to Lake of the Woods in two weeks and I can’t wait! I’m ready to jack jaws and cross eyes on some big water beauties! Good luck to all of you and be safe on the ice.

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/ SJU

glad you ran into the fish
    i will be up at LoTW on the 26th…cant wait

codycroteau1
    La Crosse Wisconsin

Quote:

i will be up at LoTW on the 26th…cant wait

x2 great fish!!!!! I will also be at lotw then. Pumped!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Gotta love the Lazer Mag, got mine last year with the 8″ 2.5 HP and it cuts ice like butter. That Solo engine just purrs.

TWick

I’ve been thinking of hitting that, would you care to share what lake of the chain you were on? A friend of mine has been catching nice gills on prairie. I love that body of water in the summer, never fished it through the ice.

mduffy1969

Sure… North Prairie, 10-12 feet, CJS Gill Pills and Ratsos. Hope you whack em!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Cool. Haven’t been up there yet this year. The in-law have a cabin just down from Sunny’s Bar. Usually get out there once or twice in the winter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.