Otter Ice house – expert ?

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have a friend looking to purchase a new ice house. I’m trying to talk him into a otter. He is looking for a small 1 many sized house. I told him that the Pro ice cottage would be the house that I’d buy. He does not want to spend near $600.00. I see on otters web site they have a Wild series of houses that are less expensive. How do this series differ/compare to the pro series? I see that the cover on the wild series is a lighter weight material but still weighs more in the same sized unit ( not sure how that is ) I’m compareing the wild 1 and the Pro ice cottage. I do see that the wild also has a bench seat in place of the swivel seat. It is almost $200.00 less and comes with a cover. I have never seen a wild series house just currious what all your getting less for $200.00. Do they use the same sled base and poles on both of them? if anyone has either of these houses and are looking at selling it, feel free to contact me. Thanks.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Do they use the same sled base and poles on both of them? if anyone has either of these houses and are looking at selling it, feel free to contact me. Thanks.

The canvas, sled and poles are not the same ones used in the Pro. The Wild series houses aren’t intended to compete with the Otter Pro on quality or durability. But they are on par with regards to quality with the other major brands on the market and are priced accordingly.

If you fish hard and often, the Otter Pro is the way to go.

If you’re a weekend warrior that doesn’t rack up the lake miles then the Wild might be a good fit.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

I just bought an otter cabin from cabelas. I looked long and hard at the wild series. The sled is flimsy and the canvas isn’t as thick or durable as the otter. The poles are lower quality. Bottom line…you will get what you pay for between these two. Wild will just break down years earlier so he will have to invest more money sooner…jmo

Ted

mnbassin
    Mpls, MN

I purchased an Wild2 First thing last year within the first time out I new I wanted something better. First and formost the bench seat is heavy and in the way. The canvas has to be up and the bench needs to be flipped up to access the tub. The tub is also narrow, which means pulling at high speeds Via Sled or ATV it can get un-stable. Canvas is also thinner as noted before. But Saying that for the price its a nice set-up.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Quote:

I purchased an Wild2 First thing last year within the first time out I new I wanted something better. First and formost the bench seat is heavy and in the way. The canvas has to be up and the bench needs to be flipped up to access the tub. The tub is also narrow, which means pulling at high speeds Via Sled or ATV it can get un-stable. Canvas is also thinner as noted before. But Saying that for the price its a nice set-up.

The bench seat the Wild is lighter then the heavy wood covered Otter bench, unless they changed the 48″ bench in the last couple years. I have had both and the wild seat is lighter by far.
    The bench is harder to flip up with the Wild because the poles lay on the front bracket.
    As for the tub being narrower between the Cabin and the wild II ,I think they are about the same.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.