Vexilar vs. Marcum

• Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Had a clear water classic for many years, upgraded to an FL8 about 10 years ago. Night and day difference to the FL8. Then bought a Marcum LX5. Once again night at day difference and my wife likes it because she got the FL8. I also use it on my trolling motor and love the target separation and zoom. LX5

arklite881south

In the Open water arena Sonar is often priced accordingly to the overall power output of the unit. The next time your at a retail store look for yourself at the open water sonar units we seldom question when reaching 2-3K in pricing. They’ll be lined up less power to more power for the most part. YET it seems Marcum is bucking this trend. The LX5 from Marcum Technology features a mind boggling 2500 watts of power. With a Target seperation at 3/4 of an inch……Is absolutely advantage ANGLER!! I’d compare it to looking through a scope on your deer rifle. All scopes will surely allow hunters better views of the target. Still it is without question some will feel that seeing a deer tick on the target through say a high end Swarovski sp is more beneficial? I can say without any hesitation I am able to mark bottom huggers with tremendous accuracy with my LX5. Just my observations while staring at the flasher more than I care to admit!!

So I have absolutely ZERO issues with any of the competitors in the marketplace today, and we’ve got some great companies to compare. There is little doubt the competition between brands will continue to keep consumers in technologically advanced products!!

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

Very well put. Props sir, props.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I just use a Marcum becuase everybodyelse has a Vex. Last thing I need is someone swapping my Vex for theirs. Not a chance with a Marcum.

wally1992
    Evansville MN

Can’t honestly remember when I bought my LX-1.It get’s used every day when there is safe ice to fish on in the winter, and then gets transferred to my boat during the open water season.
    My 2 cents is about customer service. It was probably 2 or 3 seasons of use when the marcum decided to paint all the same color. It still ID’d the fish, but made it a little more difficult. I called customer service and was directed to a technician.Long story short, He told me to send it in when i was done using it.
    The turn around made the postal service look phenominal. I truly think it must have only been there for hours. Best of all Marcum did not charge me for any repair or postage! No reason for me to use anything else. I will be purchasing the LX-5 this season.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I’ve run a vex 18 for about ten years and it has been a fine unit. If I had to do it over though, I would go with an LX5. I do have issues with interference on occaision and would really like to be able to move my zoom from the bottom 10 feet. the fishing I do the bottom is where you want the zoom 9 times out of 10. the other thing is it is kind of loud in my little shack.

arklite881south

Quote:

I’ve run a vex 18 for about ten years and it has been a fine unit. If I had to do it over though, I would go with an LX5. I do have issues with interference on occaision and would really like to be able to move my zoom from the bottom 10 feet. the fishing I do the bottom is where you want the zoom 9 times out of 10. the other thing is it is kind of loud in my little shack.

I think we all have our own reasons for fishing the flashers we do, and undoubtably they help us ice more fish!! That is the true KEY!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I own both a FL-18 and a LX5. After almost 20 years of fishing a Vexilar I decided to give the LX5 a try last season. I think you will not be at all unhappy with the Fl-18. Nore do I think you would be unhappy with the LX5. Both are excellent units. I guess I’m one of the few that just did not get a WOW after fishing the LX-5. Not sure if my unit is working correctly or I just have not figured out all the setting yet. I know someone else here said what excellent customer service they had with Marcum but I had less than great luck dealing with them last season and I know there were a few other negative threads last season on their customer service as well. I’m going to put a new battery in the LX-5 this season and spend a little more time trying the different setting and see if I will like it better. Since you already have the FL-18 I say spend some time using it and once you have a feel for it give a Marcum a try and see what you think. That is what is so great about this site is that everyone is free to voice their thoughts without getting hammered by those with other idea’s.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They both work very good but when being used close together you want to be the Marcum owner.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

They both work very good but when being used close together you want to be the Marcum owner.

If Suzuki can change and be happy…EVERYONE will be happy with the LX-5!!

Mike? Are we going to hit first ice this year? You can run my StrikeMaster.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I’ve always loved my Vex !! I bought my first one many years ago from Dave Genz over the phone. Back when the Genz box was made from wood!! It put my ice fishing into another world ! And the people that went with me! They couldn’t believe it. Since then I moved to a FL18 on a Genz Pac. Then a funny thing happened to me. My brother in-law had bought a LX3 and didn’t like it So being the nice guy he is he offered it to me “Free”. Last year was my first year using it and all I can say is No Comparison!! I’ll be getting an LX5 here shortly with the special they’re offering till Dec 31st. Unbelievable target seperation. Glenn

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Hope to see ya on Castle Rock this year with your new toy Glenn Congrats

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Same here Bret !!! They caught alot of nice crappies on the “Rock” this year so maybe we can get into em this winter. And maybe we can get over to your neck of the woods this year like we talked about last winter. Can’t wait to get my LX5 !!!

MattJohnson
    Blaine, MN

I’ve used about every flasher known to man at one point or another, and I will say it heavily comes down to each individual’s style of fishing, as well as what their friends fish with. If all your buddies fish with Marcum units and you all fish together on a regular basis, then tossing a different unit into the mix can be a headache.

I fished with Marcum units for several years, even held a position on their Pro Staff for about 6 years (back as far as when the first LX-3 was field tested and right through the heart of the LX-5) and as I grew into my ice fishing ability I realized they weren’t the units for me. Bad units? Definitely not, but like I said, each angler is different.

I personally found out that I can detect fish activity better with a Vexilar unit, meaning those “quivers” in color that tell me fish mood and activity, things I couldn’t fully grasp with a Marcum unit. This also plays a role in jig movement. I wasn’t a fan of staggered movements of a Marcum and fast realized the constant movement of the Vexilar colors were better recognized by my eyes, allowing me to be a better angler. Sounds picky, but that’s how I operate… I’m very picky with my gear and don’t settle for anything less It even took some convincing for me but after I trained my eye to see those simple nuisances I found myself triggering more fish into biting. There is indeed movement or purpose in those “blurs” that can teach you more about what your flasher is telling you. Those blurs are not meaningless, but in fact activity by fish and offering, again, something I was skeptic about but now can’t live without. These are all things that expert ice legends like Pat Smith and others trained me in on, on top of the countless hours on the ice.

I also like the complete ability to read what’s below the bottom. I’m talking about that tail-off section of your bottom telling you the complete physical makeup of the bottom and fish holding “below the bottom” (or off to one side or another). This I found to also be easier to read on a Vexilar… and something that has helped me land more gills and bottom-huggers, especially those rouge giants. Bottom content is a HUGE aspect of ice fishing, something that gets overlooked by most anglers, and variance in one type of bottom content is even more important. Soft bottom is not good enough, I want to know when the soft bottom is beginning to harden… like I said, I’m very picky Again, another point that most anglers could care less about but something that makes us better anglers.

The whole “target separation” debate holds little ground for me too. Are we talking about “target separation” or “target ID?”… because they are explained and perceived differently. The ability to pinpoint target position is most important to me, target separation (now talking about fractions of an inch) mean little to me and in fact can be mis-termed. I do know that Vexilar units have 525 lines/segments around the dial, versus 400 or so with a Marcum? Numbers that truly produce and equate to more display information, again, reverting back to my ability to train my eye to see all of the subtle movements from both fish and my presentation on my Vexilar.

As far as cone angle goes, I’ve always been a big fan of narrow cone angles because they tell you the most precise info, but this year with the Tri-Beam, all I can do is smile We are very spoiled and I can’t wait to have an even better fine-tuned unit.

Most of us don’t know what our flasher units can really do. Yes, we can turn them on, find the bottom, find our jig, and find the fish. Going past the obvious is what can make everyone a better ice angler and take every ice angler to a new level. Fine-tuning your units by adjusting gain and cone angles, as well as different depth settings shows so much more than meets the eye. Took me a while to figure some of those things out but now I’m having a very hard time looking back.

And there is a difference between “Made in the USA” and “Assembled in the USA” … I think most of the industry has it backwards

These are just a couple of the reasons I’ve turned to Vexilar and to some these reasons don’t seem important, but I know that they mean enough to me to put my credibility behind the Vexilar products.

But like I said, every angler is different and you need to look into your own skill-sets to determine the best flasher for you. Like mentioned, the beauty of the ice fishing industry is competition, and when you look at the big picture we’ll all supporting the great sport we love!

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

That didn’t take long to rack up 3 pages of notes

arklite881south

With all due respect Matt

After re-reading your post here’s what I picked up in your first couple paragraphs.

You like your Vex for the blurred, shaky display that allows you to see “below the bottom?” OK. I feel ya’. You didn’t exactly convince me at this point but I respect your opinion on the matter and I know so much of this comes down to personal preference so I kept reading.

The one thing I will take STRONG exception with is what appears to be an attempt to mislead people into believing that MarCum’s aren’t made in the USA. And do forgive me if I sound a little worked up on this point. Now, more than ever, we need jobs here in the USA. So back to my point. There’s nearly 40 cars in the Versa parking lot each morning that weren’t there last year. That’s not a used car lot ya’ know?! Those are people going to work HERE in the USA and not overseas like is the case with all other electronics companies. I’ll repeat… good jobs. Here. Every worker is taking down a good paycheck which means mortgage payments on homes in the local area, food on the table and clothes for kids. Minnesota kids. I hear they even have a profit sharing program and benefits! And they’re building from the electrical component up using multi-million dollar machinery in a recently expanded facility. Not just stuffing things in boxes.

Now, to be fair, I do know Vex creates some jobs as well. Every time one of those shipping containers from Asia arrives there’s no doubt it takes some man power to box them up, apply stickers and whatnot then ship them to the consumer. I’m sure Vex does create some high paying local jobs too. For example I’m sure their accountant responsible for sending all that money back overseas is very well paid.

As you stated, every angler is different and we all need to determine the best flasher for ourselves. So that’s what guys need to do. Get out on the ice and try them for themselves. Side by side if possible. That’s what us MarCum guys are always suggesting instead of playing games with made up terms like Target ID. We’re confident in the quality of the MarCum products. I think more Vex guys should suggest the same And once you try them side-by-side I’m confident that the vast majority of guys will walk away carrying “BIG RED” a kick butt flasher MADE IN THE USA!

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I just LOVE this web site!!!! Facebook has nothing on us !!!!

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Chris I’ve fished “side by side” with you and am still walking away holding a black unit. Hmmmmmm…. See ya in a few weeks bud, hope you got those fish on lockdown for us!!!!!!!!!!!!

arklite881south

Lol!! Kayle I figured you were lurking out there somewhere!! We will have them locked. You get the easy part!! BTW Andy is likely going to going the “Big fish Parade” also. Can’t wait!!

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

I will have to fish them side by side but from now on lets leave the “where its made” issue out of it. Performance and preference only.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I will have to fish them side by side but from now on lets leave the “where its made” issue out of it. Performance and preference only.

MattJohnson
    Blaine, MN

Chris,
    Sorry if my post was a little misleading, but no intention was meant to imply anything about the lack of importance for jobs in the USA, having a hard time seeing the point with that one, and I apologize if it was taken that way. I was just stating the fact that I know not ALL the parts are not made in the USA, but rather received and assembled or boxed, much like every other electronics company in the industry. Squeeze the honesty from your sponsor and you’ll find out I’m not trying to mislead people, but in fact telling the truth and trying to avoid others from misleading the public, and I say this knowing we’re all on the same page on this topic. This is not intended to be a dig, but rather a straightening of truth. You need to level the playing field on this topic so consumers can make a fair decision, otherwise Vexilar products are now also “Made in the USA” because their most recent batch of decals were made down the street at a local printing shop

Regardless, per your challenge to the public, I indeed spent two seasons with a Vexilar and Marcum side-by-side, and like your friend Kayle states above, I’m now using a Vexilar. Heck, I would go as far to say I’ve put more hours with a Marcum than most reading/using this board… 6+ plus years with 75+ days a winter season on the ice… so my experience with Marcum units goes beyond just talk in the forums trying to pick sides, it goes from hours in the office of those who created the Marcum units and hours with other Marcum Pro Staff who have seen every scenario in the book… I even helped give design input on units like the LX-5 and critiqued the original batch of LX-3’s… and the outcome is that I’m now fishing a Vexilar. I had my fingertips in the Marcum pot and the decision to switch to a Vexilar was my own to better my angling success.

And with all due respect, where would Marcum honestly be without Vexilar? “One Step Ahead?”… hmm… Vexilar was the first three color flasher… Vexilar had the first split-screen and the first zoom… Vexilar had the first true interference rejection patent… and now Vexilar has the first Tri-beam… if follow-the-leader is a theme in the ice fishing industry then Marcum has bought stock in it… misleading the industry should be used lightly… Vexilar never has, nor ever will, ride on the coattail of Marcum’s advancements… and that’s the true definition of “One Step Ahead.” Next year Marcum will have a Tri-beam

I had no intention of throwing this one out there, but if you want to throw another variable into the mix… talk to the retailers about returns/broken units and compare Marcum to Vexilar… since we’re on the topic of misleading the public with statements like “We’re confident in the quality of the MarCum products.”… you might want to rethink the definition of quality. A consumer buys a Vexilar and knows the quality they’re buying, because more than likely that person’s kids will be using the same unit someday. I went through a couple Marcum units a season when I was on their Pro Staff, and I know of several other Marcum Pro Staff who continue to do the same to this day, but free units are tough to beat so who cares… enough said.

I know I’m amidst a field of the Marcum obsessed, but I just want to make sure all companies are getting a fair swing at the ball, whether it is Marcum, Vexilar or even Humminbird. We all need to get our info from a non-biased source in order to properly make decisions in terms of buying the right gear. We can be easily brainwashed into believing one thing or another, especially in the ice fishing industry because of how cut-throat things can get, and I’m not using that term in an offensive way. If I sat down in a room with Marcum reps I will only hear one side of the story and very little negative issues will be presented. Same thing goes if I sat in a room with Vexilar reps. However, I sit here saying I’ve sat behind closed doors with both companies, and on several occasions… now come fish with me and see which unit sits by my hole… I love my Vexilar

And Chris, I know you’re one of the best ice anglers of the north and a darn good guy, so don’t take any of this as me challenging you, but rather just a chance to present both sides of the story to the public. I know we both have thick skin so a little push does no harm

Time to go fishing

arklite881south

Matt I surely respect your position with Vexilar,and with Thorne Bros. We both know sometimes a couple good guys simply have to disagree on some key priniciples of discussion. Its the American way!! When the day is over I’ll be fishing with what I feel gives myself and customers a distinct advantage on the ice as I would expect you will as well. I know from our past you will sell with 100% conviction, and I have a lot of respect for that. While you were with Marcum Technologies over all those years you influenced tremendous numbers of consumers to buy “Red”. Your articles and clips were first class material with incredible detail on why Marcum. You continue to sell your beliefs with the same heart and soul as many remember. Your an asset to the fishing industry, and that will always get a thumbs up from me. Still beyond you and I we both may agree something of far more importance is that consumers NEED to try these units out as much as you and I have. I’ve stared down flashers more than teenage girls text their friends. I’ve been fishing with flashers since my grandpa’s “Green Box” (Bless his soul) when I was about 12!!LOL!! Regardless it is still my hope we can come together as to urge our followers to put these units into play in their personal world of fishing. Try them both when possible side by side!! For it is then and only then when a consumer ultimately will be best served with the sonar that tuly best fits his or her needs.

Beyond that I need those Walleye Sweet Hearts Matt!! LOL!! I’m getting antsy to put those whoopin sticks in play, so let me know how to proceed! Oh…..and BTW my customer above who referenced “Black”…..Humminbird!! LOL!! before that he ran Vexilar. Should be turning “Red” pretty soon.

I’m sure we’ll see each other at the show, and be fun to catch up!! Been awhile!! I bet we’d have a fun conversation

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Now that was a very good debate. Very civil and good points brought up on both sides.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Civil discussion my eye! Matt and I have been talking behind the scenes and we’ve decided to settle the “flasher wars” once and for all with a winner take all cage match. To be held at the Blaine Buffalo Wild Wings next tueasday. Because I’ve got 50 lbs and some reach on him so he gets first choice of weapons. Winner buys reconciliatory beers for all in attendance because nobody REALLY cares about all this flasher stuff anyway. The loser has to wear BK’s house brand stink bait as deodorant for a week… lol

The only point I care to contest is Matt’s assertion that a locally printed sticker applied to a Vexilar makes it as “Made in the USA” as a MarCum unit. I just got done touring the plant… the place is amazing. I won’t even go into detail. I’m just going to see if I can get permission from the MarCum people in charge to see if I can post some pics of what goes into the making of a MarCum so people can decide for themselves if Matt’s assertion holds water. I’ll see if I can get that done early next week.

In my best WWE voice…. “Matt… I’m comin’ for YOUuuuuuuu!”

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

speaking of bk did you see his recent pic where he is sporting the tank top tan lines?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

speaking of bk did you see his recent pic where he is sporting the tank top tan lines?

Oh god, no. And don’t send it to me either…

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

It’s on the snosuit thread if you get curious.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Tattle tail.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Odd photo, I must admit.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.