Keeping your hole from freezing over

• Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Last year people asked the question on how you keep your hole from freezing over. Someone mentioned a device that if I recall correctly sounded something like the Spitter which is described below.

A couple days ago I was reading the first Hooked on Ice Fishing book by Tom Gruenwald and found this.

Quote:

Keeping your holes open
    Once set up and fishing, you’ll be faced with the challenge of keeping each hole clear of ice and slush. If you’re “on fish” and not moving much, drill a second hole beside the actual fishing hole, chip out a channel between the two holes with a chisel, and place a coffee can full of hot charcoal briquettes into the false hole. Warm water will circulate into the fishing hole to prevent ice up. You can also use the charcoal bucket to warm your hands, as well melt ice from line guides, auger blades and scoop. After dark, the glowing coals can provide enough light for unhooking fish and baiting.
    Water spitters are another way to keep holes open. A spitter can is constructed using a coffee can and a length of copper tubing. Bend the copper tubing into a coil, place the coil inside the coffee can, drill a hole for the intake at the base, and seal with solder.
    Next, form a spout at the top, add sand to the bottom of the can, pile charcoal into the coil and place it in a shallow hole drilled next to the hole you’re fishing. Finally, chip a small channel between the two holes, and with the spout positioned over your open hole, light the charcoal. As the can and copper tubing heats, the water around the can will heat slightly and spill into the adjacent hole. The tubing will draw in cold water, warm it, and “spit” it back into your fishing hole, keeping it from freezing in your absence.
    Commercially made items are also available:
    *HT offers the Thermal Hole Cover, a flexible three-fourths inch foam pad that works with any tip-up, and the Ice Guard, a plastic cover that adapts to any tip up, including wind-tip-ups.
    *Northeast Products offers the Ice Hole Insulator, similar in design to HT’s hole cover.
    *Other interesting inventions, including the Hole Heater, can be placed in the hole or on the hole cover (with the line run through) to eliminate line freeze-up.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I thought this post was going to be about Thermal underwear

OK, somebody was going to say something….

My kids bought me a couple of Frabil tipups that have round plastic bases. It works much better than I would have guessed. You’d think a thin piece of plastic wouldn’t do much to keep the air warmer over the hole but it does work.

Rootski

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Isopropal alcohol works pretty good.
    -Mark

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Best way is to keep catching fish after fish after fish. The water always moving keeps it unfrozen. Of course with me it’s alway throwing back the little ones that keep the hole open.

Jake_A

PAM cooking spray works well…only apply every half hour….but you have to keep the bottle somewhat warm so the aerosal works. Also keeps slip bobbers unfrozen too

p.s. If my mom catches me takin the cooking spray, my is grass.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

A heated shanty works great!
    Especially when you’ve found a spot that is producing consistently and stopped hole hopping.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

When has Joel B ever consistently produced anything icefishing? Seems like the fish leave for the other side of the lake whenever he gets there.

desperado

the human kidneys produce a pretty effective ice-hole-anti-freeze
    step one drink beer
    step two drop trou
    step three (in think ya get the picture)

lhprop1
    Eagan

That seems like a lot more work than is necessary and a lot more to carry just to keep a hole open. What ever happened to just swishing the ice scoop around the hole every 15 minutes or so?

And if you haven’t caught a fish in one spot for an hour, you shouldn’t still be there.

capn’crappie
    Wisconsin

I have a small slit sewn into the outside my ice armor pants – the skimmer handle fits right in. When the hole gets a bit frosty I pull out the skimmer and scoop.

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Crank the heat up in the “wuss hut”

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I made a splitter as described in the first post. It did not work any better than a plain can of coals. Tip. Put several rocks in the bottom of the can before adding the charcoal. The coal will burn better and the rocks add weight needed to keep floating in the hole.

Remeber, you can’t use this inside a shelter. I use them next to tip ups most of the time of when just fishing on a bucket.

-J.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Isopropal alcohol works pretty good. -Mark

Put a roll of TP IN A METAL COFFEE CAN. Pour in a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and light.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Holy cow did you just respond to a 10 year old thread?

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Holy cow did you just respond to a 10 year old thread?

Yes he did.

Sylvanboat

We’ve all just entered The Twilight Zone. Look in the mirror. Are you 10 years younger?

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Ho Ho ho

Attachments:
    1. 41428AFD-50D9-4D86-B447-024CD8A382B4.jpeg

Sylvanboat

Ho Ho Ho. Again

Attachments:
    1. 53FA0F21-422C-4829-B592-B95B34CCFB84.jpeg

Steve Johnson

I knew this was an old thread- when is the last time you saw coffee that came in a can? I don’t think the plastic containers Folgers comes in are up to the task of holding hot coals.

PmB

Ice defence. Spendy but works

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I knew this was an old thread- when is the last time you saw coffee that came in a can? I don’t think the plastic containers Folgers comes in are up to the task of holding hot coals.

MY wife buys HyVee coffee in metal cans. So the last time I saw coffee in a can was this morning.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.