Tulibee

• Scott Mueller
    Coon Rapids, MN

I’m heading to Northern MN today. My relatives said the Tulibee are going good on a local lake there.

Would someone be kind enough to give me a basic idea how to catch them?

I’ve heard you bring two rods. One with a big spoon on it and one with a small ice jig on it.

You use the spoon to attract a school of fish, when you see them on your electronics you drop the small ice jig into the school and hopefully catch one. The ice jig can be tipped with a eurolarvae….

Am I close to the right technique?

Regards,

BlueSmoke

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You can use a Demon or Go-Devil or any small spoon…remove the treble hook…and add a dropper line about 1 foot down to a panfish jig and a waxie. It also works for crappie, perch and sunnies. I prefer bright colors to silver Swedish Pimples. Have yourself a blast! By using this method, you can jig 2 rods and not set one down when you confront fish!

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Waxies have been best for me. the tullis will hammer the bottem stirring up the mud inturn exposing the bugs they eat. it is hard to beat a small Kastmaster spoon tipped with waxies or the new macho minnow. On the second line I would have a small black/dark colared Ice Ant tipped with a waxie and leave it just off bottem till you see the school then as alway fish it slightly above them. Dont be afraid to slamm the bottem for close to a minute to stir up the mud, IMO the cloud brings them in.remember they have tiny mouths!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

You can use a Demon or Go-Devil or any small spoon…remove the treble hook…and add a dropper line about 1 foot down to a panfish jig and a waxie. It also works for crappie, perch and sunnies. I prefer bright colors to silver Swedish Pimples. Have yourself a blast! By using this method, you can jig 2 rods and not set one down when you confront fish!

X2 – Have fun they are a blast to catch

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

A small forage minnow with euro larve works well.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

A few weeks ago we were using Buckshot’s on Mille Lacs with good results. We had a camera down and could watch them come in. If you keep jigging hard (1-2′ up and down) they would just keep circling the lure. It must look to good to pass up as most of them would bite after about 5-6 swings at it. We were using a minnow heads on the Buckshot’s but you could probably use waxys too.

Another way I have seen people fish them is by taking off the treble hook and putting a small dropper line with a single small hook and tip it with a waxy. They will come into the flashing lure and then hit the meat.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Edit: Looks like I was a little slow responding. What they said above.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

My go to is a silver Hali with a chain dropper. Spike waxie or minnow head.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

Other than feeding to the hogs what good are they? I have tried smoking them 3 or 4 times and have never had good results. All were fresh caught thru the ice.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Channel Cat Bait on the Red River!!

…is it spring yet!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I like them smoked and jus did my first batch of pickeled.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

dogs love ’em smoked, I was surprised one afternoon on Mille Lacs when a tuli about jumped out of the hole when I had just set me pole down with the line almost reeled up to the top. We thought about it for a while and figured that they might be picking bugs and stuff off the bottom of the ice. Anyone else have this happen? It really scared the crap out of me!

Jason_N
    St. Cloud, Minnesota, USA

I was on Mille Lacs this past Sunday and tried fishing them for the first time. Didn’t get into a lot, but caught a few. They are a blast to catch! I want to get a few to smoke, does anyone of a good brine recipe for them? Thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.