Vexilar fl 18-20 vs. humminbird ice 45

• shaley
    Milford IA

I ask him that to and the answer is why buy one when I can use yours. Besides we don’t use flashers during the day anyway, no need here.

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Additionally, have you ever used or even seen a Marcum next to a Vex?

CSP88,

The fact that you never answered this question speaks volumes for your credibility when it comes to first-hand knowledge of the product. ‘Nuff said…

Huh???? I did answer your question. You are more than welcome to drive down here and check the stores out for yourself…..I’ll go with ya.

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Nextbite, sorry this thread got off-line from your original question “Vexilar or Humminbird.” My advise it go to the local sporting good stores and ask lots of questions on each company and their products. Have them show you the ins and outs of each unit. Any flasher you get will be better than nothing at all.

ps…my offer still stands if you want to see a FL-18 or FL-20 on the ice. I’m out at Big Creek quite frequently.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Just to let you guys know CSP88 is a Vexilar Pro Staff.

Ed

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Quote:

Ed

And this site is sponsored by marcum….so what’s your point Ed??

shaley
    Milford IA

I’m not on anyones staff just giving my own personal experience, and Thanks to Ed he turned me to the Red side

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Quote:

Quote:

Ed

My point is if a person is on a Pro Staff, be it Vexilar, Marcum, or Hummingbird, that is the only unit they will push. Your Average Joe fisherman needs to hear from other Average Joe fisherman who either has used all units or compared them side by side on the ice to get an honest, unbiased opinion.

Ed

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

CSP88,

I will ask the question you absolutely NEVER answered, one more time.

Have you compared the Vex and Marcum side-by-side? That is the question you ignored.

Now, I’m not sponsored by anyone except my wife and myself. I have owned both a Vex and a Marcum. I will stay with the Marcum!

The fact that you are so one-sided without facts and just going by hear-say regarding Marcum, I really think it would be best if you just kept quiet or be completely honest. You haven’t been.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ed

My point is if a person is on a Pro Staff, be it Vexilar, Marcum, or Hummingbird, that is the only unit they will push. Your Average Joe fisherman needs to hear from other Average Joe fisherman who either has used all units or compared them side by side on the ice to get an honest, unbiased opinion.

Ed

You know I am addicted to reading posts on this site. There is a lot of great info I have taken away from the forums. I do have to say the product reviews seem political to me. Last week I got blasted for expressing my opinion on “how I have enjoyed my Jiffy auger” since making the purchase. I sure heard a lot of Strike Master responses. Some were from pro staff and some were not. If you are sponsored by a company and supporting their products on this forum maybe you should be up front with all of us and let us know you are sponsored by them. I know it will help me more understand how your opinion was formed. Obviously you are not going to bite the hand that feeds you and nor would I.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If someone gave you a hard time over a post about enjoying your auger, I’d like to know about it. That shouldn’t happen here and I apologize if it did. We try and keep up with all the threads. Sadly there’s too few of us and far too many threads. Shoot me a PM with the link or a point in the right direction if you would, please.

As for the “political” nature of some of these posts… you’re not imagining things.

Most of the time this type of thread goes off without a hitch. Members in support of one product state their preferences and reason why, the same is posted by members in support of product B and C. There’s no drama or emotion either way and 99% of the time members are trying to lend an honest opinion. I think our format and rules regarding moderation of the forums allow that to take place better here than anywhere else on the internet.

So why is this thread different? Good question. A couple hired guns that only post on threads regarding their sponsor’s product have attempted to muddy these threads. IDO staff know who they are and we tend to look unfavorably on that. If it wasn’t for this fact, chances are I wouldn’t even be involved with this thread. Some times we have to jump in with both feet and do our best to keep things factual.

To spot one of these hired guns a SURE FIRE way to figure out who’s who is to… click on the username. Then click on “show all user’s posts.” A couple of the guys in this thread only show up here to make a post trumpeting their sponsor’s product then they run off to the next site to repeat the process. I could simply list the names but 5 minutes of digging will turn the same results.

Once you’ve looked at a posting history the lightbulbs should go off for you. It is this type of postings that got me involved today as these guys tend to be incredibly skewed and often involve the posting of intentionally misleading info. I’ve got no problem with someone sharing opinions in good faith should they be pro MarCum, Vexilar or Humminbird. But that’s NOT what’s been done here in a couple instances.

I myself am sponsored by marcum. My advice is and will always be the same. Compare price and features then try them on the ice, side-by-side, where it matters. I’m confident enough in my sponsor’s product to encourage anyone looking for a flasher to compare units side by side and come to their own decision versus throwing out misleading information in an attempt to influence a purchase decision.

I think you can also put a lot of faith in the opinions shared by members that consistently post photos, bite information or in other ways try to genuinely aid other IDO members regardless of if they post a favorable opinion of brand x, y or z. Guys that are here consistently and take time to share are very unlikely to intentionally steer anyone wrong.

shaley
    Milford IA

Well said James.

primetime82

I guess I can’t compare because I have only used the Fl-20! This week I will be fishing with my Buddy that recently got the Lx5 so we will see how it goes! The one down fall I have about my Vex is sometimes on sharp breaks-rocky area’s I have trouble reading bottom correctly and that absolutly sucks….who wants to jig when there jig goes 5 feet through the bottom red!!! Most of the guys on Ido will tell you there Honest opinion unlike Mn-Fishin where they go to great lenghs to sponser ONLY there prodcuts!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

To member “NextBite” that posted the original question, you have our collective apology for the direction of this thread. Please do what you can to separate the good info from the…. nonsense.

corey_bechtold

BranK. Underwater cameras don’t have anything to do with this thread.

I tried Marcum LX-3’s and LX-5’s. Both didn’t work for me. One thing that annoyed me was having to move a zoom window around. If Marcum was smart they would have made it start from the bottom and move up from there. Having to make that annoying “beep, beep, beep, beep bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbeeep” drove me nuts.

As for the Crappies 10′ down in 30′ of water is a no brainer. Just turn the locator on the 20′ scale and it’s going to show up better that way. If there isn’t anythig you want to target down below them then there’s no reason to look there.

It’s funny how this thread was about Vexilar and Humminbird and turns onto a Marcum one. That’s what’s funny about the internet. Or should I say the “sponsored” internet sites. I was dupped into believing Marcum was a better product but after using them I know the truth. Vexilar for me. I love the features and that’s my opinion. I like fishing and not advertising so I stick with what works for me.

Sorry about the rant. This is too good of a site to have dragged down into the “advertising” avenue. Look at what the different companies have to offer and pick the one that best suits your needs. It was an easy option for me and that’s why I am a Vexilar guy.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Corey,

Aren’t you sponsored by Vex?

corey-studer

James – Nicely said.

Jeff – I’m pretty sure Corey B. was a Vexilar fan before getting on Vexilar’s staff.

Everyone – Are you catching more fish because of a flasher or graph? I sure hope so! If not, time to get one.

I was out on Peltier today and caught some nice pannies in 12-13 fow. Most of the fish I caught were 1-4 ft off the bottom using ratso’s, fat boys tipped with a nuggie and I also saw quite a few caught on gulp fish frys (white).

Good luck and be safe to all!

Happy fishing!

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

BranK. Underwater cameras don’t have anything to do with this thread.

I tried Marcum LX-3’s and LX-5’s. Both didn’t work for me. One thing that annoyed me was having to move a zoom window around. If Marcum was smart they would have made it start from the bottom and move up from there. Having to make that annoying “beep, beep, beep, beep bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbeeep” drove me nuts.

As for the Crappies 10′ down in 30′ of water is a no brainer. Just turn the locator on the 20′ scale and it’s going to show up better that way. If there isn’t anythig you want to target down below them then there’s no reason to look there.

It’s funny how this thread was about Vexilar and Humminbird and turns onto a Marcum one. That’s what’s funny about the internet. Or should I say the “sponsored” internet sites. I was dupped into believing Marcum was a better product but after using them I know the truth. Vexilar for me. I love the features and that’s my opinion. I like fishing and not advertising so I stick with what works for me.

Sorry about the rant. This is too good of a site to have dragged down into the “advertising” avenue. Look at what the different companies have to offer and pick the one that best suits your needs. It was an easy option for me and that’s why I am a Vexilar guy.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Corey likes fishing and not advertising??

75% of your posts over the last year have been advertising for Vexilar.

How about a fishing report or a picture of a nice sunny?

I also find it hard to believe that someone would return

6 Marcums and then go back to what was working to begin

with. If it wasn’t broke…….why did you try to fix it

in the first place? Because of the internet??

corey_bechtold

Most of my posting is done at a site that isn’t run by sponsorship or advertising dollars. It’s a fishing store called Thorne Bros. The postings aren’t combative because they sell all brands. If you want to see my pictures or fishing reports feel free to stop in over there and have a peek.

The reason I replied to this individual on this site is because he had a question about Vexilar and I thought that since I’ve owned them for the better part of 17 years I’d offer some help.

Hopefully everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

The pack is in the playoffs!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

The pack is in the playoffs!

A Vikings / Packers rematch would qualify for a MN-WI holiday if things work out where they have to play each other again.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I was once told by an old timer that any flasher will do basically the same thing. Show you the depth, if there are fish hanging out, and show your lure. It is up to the user to interprert what he is seeing. Now if that is all you need, any flasher will do. I’ve always had a Vex, no problems at all, even the same battery for 5 years! I will say that after watching a demo on the LX-5, I know where my money is going, I have a line up ready to buy my old trusty FL-8, but she will stay as a back-up cause I can’t afford two LX-5’s. Any flasher, whether old or new, will help you put more fish on the ice. Oh, I should mention I’m trying to get Captain Morgan to sponsor me! And yes, the Pack did well this season!

nextbite
    Newton, IA

Matt Grow
    IDO Ice Pro Staff

Reged: 11/30/04
    Fish Bucks: $63.54
    Loc: Albertville MN Re: Vexilar fl 18-20 vs. humminbird ice 45 [Re: NextBite]
    #846300 – 12/23/09 08:16 AM Edit Reply Quote

Quote:
    ——————————————————————————–

I was wondering if someone has compared these two products and could give me the pros and cons of each. I am looking to purchase one or the other. Any info would be appreciated.

——————————————————————————–

Any reason you’ve eliminated The MarCum line of flashers. Its well worth your time to compare price to feature; and a ton of other things for that matter.

I can give you a review of the ice 45 and Fl-18/20, but its nowhere near complete until you atleast see MarCum’s features along side.

——————–
    Matt Grow – Ice Pro Staff
    [email protected]
    The second amendment…..Americas original homeland security.

I don’t mind it getting so off topic and all. Some stuff is entertaining to read. After doing plenty of reading and research on all the flashers for a few days I made my decision. I called all of the companies directly and asked questions as well. I went to Scheels because they carry all 3 units and could look at all of the fetures. I talked to the sales guy at scheels and got his opinion and it was pretty clear from looking at the shelves that I was getting a Marcum LX5. They sold more often over the other brands and seemed very reliable. The salesman never had a return come in that he had seen.He told me I was pretty lucky when I called them first and had him hold one of each so they were not sold out. They had 4 LX5’s when I called and a few hours later I came in and the only one left was the one I had held. They had just sold the last one 5 minutes prior to me arriving. Some will be dissapointed and others may be glad on my choice nut I did plenty in research and am happy with what I got. I can’t wait to get on the ice now that I am done with all the christmas gathering I had to attend. Thank you to everybody who posted on this topic. Maybe we will see each other on the water.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You are a wise man. I’m not talking about the Marcum, just how you went about arriving at your decision!

Done with the research, now it’s time to FISH!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

A great choice for sure!!! I’m of course biased as an LX5 owner.

Now, to the important stuff like catching some fish. Please post back with some pics of your new toy with fish!!

Robin Holden
    Nestor Falls ON

I have owned every company of flasher and used every unit I believe that is made. That is the joy of guiding ice fishing is every fisherman fishes with his own unit and I have seen most of them. Right now I own a vx-1, and a lowrance 332c adapted to ice. I gave my brother my fl-18 a year or 2 back(loved it but he needed it more than me). This year I will be using a humminbird ice-45. I have loved all my units and all have hleped me catch fish. Here is a quick jot of my reasonings for each one.
    Lowrance-great unit but also my main summer unit so try to only use it when necessary as I am hard on equipment.
    Marcum(vx-1)-3 years, 3 transducers.But great price and has zoom. Lx-5(awesome unit) I have grown a supersticion to them spooking trout(please don’t give me crap for it but I have had several issues, we don’t need this topic getting more dragged off topic telling me I am crazy for this).
    Vexilar-Durable Durable Durable. Liked when they came out with the flat screen.
    Showdown-Not a flasher, I might as well use my lowrance(color and bigger screen)
    Humminbird-Love the screen and used one in the SAME hole last year with my marcum and lowrance with no interference(I was impressed) but we will see as it is still relatively new on the market. I have tried to put these units to the test as much as possible and also be unbiased with each model. This just shows one persons feelings and experiences. I hope Nextbite you love your unit and you will like how it really helps you catch fish.

scottsteil
    Central MN

The problems certain units had last year with the Gain and seeing jigs in deep water was not a problem with the unit but the transducer. I did all sorts of testing to figure out what was wrong with certain units and why some needed to have the Gain set so high. As it turns out the units were working fine but the transducers were not mounted level. Essentially certain units had transducers that were pointing slightly at an angle towards the bottom, which we all know does not work with sonar.

That transducer issue was addressed last year at the end of the season. I was fortuate enough to not get any of the ducers that had the issue but I did some testing on some transducers that did and you needed your gain set at 25 all the time.

As I said, that issue has been fixed and the new units come with an additional 25 levels of Gain. If someone still needs their Gain on 25 out of 25 or 50 out of 50, they have a bad transducer still. I have been through these trasducer issues with Vexilar, MarCum and Humminbird, lets just say that little transducer is an important part of your sonar-take care of it!

oneshot1killdoa
    Michigan

Thank you for your reply James, I was starting to get confused and mis-lead. I am a fish-a-holic, I fish 6 days a week in my boat from when the ice disappears until it forms back up. I just started hard water fishing last winter. I decided this year to get some electronics and I just ironically bought the Humminbird Ice 45. I only used it 3 times and immediately had great success “seeing” what was happening underwater. Maybe I’m too new at it to know any better about what’s the better unit, but that’s not the point. I AM HAPPY with it. On soft water I am in that 10% that catches 90% of the fish and I hope to learn more from you ice fishing pros on this site to join the 10% on hard water. Remember that when giving advice and don’t get too technical for us novices. Again, thanks.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

I bought the ICE 55 be cause of the color options, (being color blind)
    I had a FL 8 converted the colors and like it, but I had a good offer on it and sold it.
    I also have a Fl 18 that the wife uses, not color switched.
    I have used the 55 acouple of times and works great. I love the big screen. Just my thoughts on it. Good Luck; Doug

Viewing 29 posts - 31 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.