Galena Pool 12

• bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

il.jack have you heard anything more about millers around the tug? barge lake or lower sabula I think I’ve been out 4- times and haven’t really found any decent fish.

jepik

Bigjigger2002+fishsqzr….nope nothing any good anywhere…a friend just got back from mickelsons, kept working south of boat landing,water little deeper where they orignally had barge with pump on it, when they dreged the cuts,kept noticing every place he tried,most of the fish were all going south, if fishsqzr is right, snow cover,low oxygen,maybe thats why he saw so many heading out…there where 2 places they park that barge the other is just on the outside of mallard bay,little wider,little deeper in both….

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

ill.jack have you ever fished at Bulgers Hollow or Gomers lake off of hwy. 67 straight acrossed the river from michelsons landing on the Iowa side?

jepik

Bigjigger2002….its been at least 15 yrs….fished there a lot in summer in bass boat, boat lane going back to cabins in gomers….now that you mention it, we had year that it was tough, up and down river,bulgers and gomers was the only place that was reasonably good….could possibly be a sleeper….

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

ill.jack I’ve never been there before,would that stretch have good ice .It looks like it has deep enough water all along the tracks by the landing all the way to deer creek, do you know the name of the road that would get you back to Gomers and would you be able to get to the lake from here meaning public acess.I might give this a try next weekend,them fish got to be somewhere,Ijust wonder about the ice conditions at both places.

jepik

Bigjigger2002…I used to put in at the camp ground or the boat ramp, just after you cross railroad tracks in bulgers…there is a road going back to cabins in gomers but I think it might be private…long walk from bulgers…never had problem with ice at either place,but our winters were colder then…the road going to bulgers is a ways past eagle point park,at the top of hill,used to be mark boat landing or camping or something…turn right,steep hill,turn left after you cross tracks to camp grounds,or go straight ahead to boat landing…good luck

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

ill.jack Thanks for the info have you ever tried that area that Ted Peck is talking about on the other thread out from michelsons on the other side of the island?

fishsqzr

Bigjigger2000 – the gates are acutally in upper Browns, right across the levee from the Green Island Bottoms. When the gates are opened, there will be some current flowing into the dredge cuts. This has the potential to reduce the thickness of the ice. The dredge cuts come in from Laineville Slough – through Lower Brown’s (along the RR tracks) then into Upper Brown’s before the cut runs straight across the middle of Upper Brown’s to the Green Island Levee. There is also a loop in Lower Brown’s and a cut that runs up into Scarburough Lake.

jepik

Quote:

Bigjigger2002…I used to put in at the camp ground or the boat ramp, just after you cross railroad tracks in bulgers…there is a road going back to cabins in gomers but I think it might be private…long walk from bulgers…never had problem with ice at either place,but our winters were colder then…the road going to bulgers is a ways past eagle point park,at the top of hill,used to be mark boat landing or camping or something…turn right,steep hill,turn left after you cross tracks to camp grounds,or go straight ahead to boat landing…good luck

the route to get there is from clinton…

jepik

Bigjigger2002….the area I think he is talking about is in mallard bay itself,all the way back to blind 22,there used to be 2 beaver houses on the east side,one around blinds 19 and the other around 22….your map is correct, the guts do run like shown on your map…if I am reading his post correctly,he started in there and then came out of the bay itself, and caught his fish around boat landing,blind 22 is area he like to start at…check south around blind 41,south side of island, that where the barge was, little wider and little deeper…still think bulgers could be a sleeper…

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

fishsqzr Thanks, I thought you were talking about the gates up at Bellvue before,I din’t know there were any gates in Browns I’ve only been there 3-times and only in the winter.I’m going to have to start cheking these backwaters out during the summer so I’m alot more familiar with them in the winter. Thanks again

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

ill.jack theres a good chance we might try Bulgers and Michelsons on Sat. Let me know how you did if you go before the weekend, I will post if I go.

jepik

Bigjigger2002…went to bulgers this morning,they have got railroad crossing and park both block off…did not look good….stop at R+R bait shop,nobody been fishing there…

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

ill.jack thanks for the heads up on Bulgers, I wonder why that is? I’ve got tomorrow off buddy was talking about going to Apple canyon lake won’t know if were going there for sure until he calls later.

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

ill.jack:: Was at fishtrap today caught 1-crappie 2-bluegills and a couple of baby bass fished from 7:30 to 10:00 then went to kehough fished from 10:30 till noon without a bite talked to some guys walking back from the springs very poor bite there also.It’s been a lousy winter so far was hopingto have a much better post than this.

jepik

Bigjigger2002…bad down here also,went to mickelsons,south of boat landing, lots of fish movement in the cuts, no takers…went north of boat landing, no fish…tried guppies to gulp,and everything in between, no wax worms,or mousies,…there were some fellows catching small gills on wax worms…nobody fishing in the bay….8 till 2 was all the fun I could stand….

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.