Life span of a StrikeMaster?

• Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

So I’m looking to buy a power auger. A friend has a 5-7 year old StrikeMaster Lazer Mag Express (?) that he’s looking to sell for $200. I know he takes care of his stuff, but also fishes a lot. The auger has new blades and starts and runs good now, but I’m wondering how much life may be left in the auger? If it will get me 2-3 years I’ll probably buy it since I can’t come up with the $400+ to buy new.

Thoughts?

Matt

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Grab it up! As long as you keep it tuned up and take care of them they will run a long time.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I have 9 years on mine runs tip top. fish alot and punch alot holes every time out. well kept should last for many years.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Well taken care of is the most important! Blades can be changed so use is not that big of an issue. I have an auger that a friend of mine gave me that was purchased in the early 70’s and that thing still works great. No name brand on mine just the company that sold it.

Snap it up.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

This morning I fired mine up for the first time this season. I remember buying it from Reeds at the ice show, THE FIRST ONE….17 years ago!!! I believe it was either the first or second year that the Lazer model hit the market. I would guess that I drill between 300 and 500 holes per season

In that time it has only let me down two times. The first time was nine years ago on LOW. It must have been -10F at best in the morning. I gave it one pull and the cooling fins stuck open not allowing the rope to recoil. A little time in the fish house to thaw it out and it was good to go. To to this day I’m unsure how that much moisture collected, but I’ve never had that problem again. The other issue was about 3 years ago when plastic throttle assembly broke not allowing the cable to do it’s job. The throttle issue is just an age and wear thing. I just wore it out.

So, to answer your question; I’d guess you should have another 10 years of service from the used auger.

Surf-N-Turf
    Stevens Point, WI

Mine is 21 years old this month!!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

plastic throttle assembly broke

This is the only reason I went with the Jiffy STX. It has a beefy steel throttle handle. I don’t think I can break that off. I always seem to amaze myself though and break the unbreakable!!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

My Lazer is 14 years old.

One throttle assembly replaced and a tune up.

Runs great.

gary d
    cordova,il

I have had mine for 15 years plus. I have rebuilt the carb once and replaced gas hose many times.If I was you I think I would buy it.
    fish333

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My strikemaster will be hitting 10 this year. The last one died on my the morning of 1-1-2000. Purchased the new one on 1-2-2000. Think there was a computer glitch in the old one.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Buy It !!!

I am on my 6th year on my SM…

If i did get a new one…I would not sell my old one !!!

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! It will be in my garage by the end of the week and on the ice very soon.

wolfman-k

I’ve owned mine for about 15 years, & only had one issue, easily fixed with a visit to their Big Lake facility.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Have a 6 year old Lazer Mag. Buddy broke the recoil 20+ miles north of Pine Island on LOW. At least we got a few holes drilled before he busted it! After reaching halfway back to Canada on every pull (abuse), the recoil rope had had enough.

As someone else mentioned, this was a 5 minute fix at the Strikemaster HQ in Big Lake, MN. I walked out of there for next to nothing after it was truly my buddy’s fault, and they threw in an extra collar bolt and allen wrench that had gone missing somewhere along the way.

Other than that, never had a single problem. I’ve upgraded to the solo this year. It’s been a difficult transition because I TRUST that auger. However, I know from running the solo a bit last year that it’ll be my new favorite!

Joel

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.