La Crosse area…

• Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

I know there is no such thing as safe ice, especially given the snow we just had. How far north does a guy have to go to find some fishable ice?

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Quote:

How far north does a guy have to go to find some fishable ice?

I know it would be a long drive for you, but I’m sure there is a lot of ice here that is good. They were on the ice before last night. It was -13 here last night so there has to be a lot of really good ice as we got very little snow. New London, MN area, lakes Andrew, Games, Norway.

wallclimber
    Stoddard WI

fished around stoddard today i got skunked but a guy got 16 gills out a little furtherfrom me ready to go at it tommorow

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

What is the parking situation at Stoddard again? I didn’t fish it last year, but heard that they had changed some of the places that you could park, or not park as some would say.

Thanks,

FDR

wallclimber
    Stoddard WI

2 to 4 inches its kinda wierd with the snow it seems a lot thicker then it is but it sounded solid uder me im pretty big or i should asay round. ice had some cracks from presure but not week if you stick close to ice thats got no snow on it seems pretty safe to me but im a lot irish.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

From what I saw today, there may very well be fishable ice in the LAX area in a few days. The snow that was on the ice pushed the water up and solidified into white ice. The usual spots on the lake will more than likely have people fishing by Saturday. As always, use caution and carry a spud to check the ice.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

What is the parking situation at Stoddard again? I didn’t fish it last year, but heard that they had changed some of the places that you could park, or not park as some would say.

Thanks,

FDR

Last year they shut down the parking along HWY 35. I normally park at the boat landing by Water Edge Motel and pay the 3 bucks. It makes it easy to get on the ice from there. No hassle with the slope and you don’t need to cross the tracks.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Checked out a deep area today and was very pleased to see that the snow has been pretty much completely removed from the ice. Underneath the half inch dusting was 3″ + of hard ice. It is white for most of that 3″ but it did not pop or crack at all. I am very satisfied and confident that we will see 5 or even 6″ of ice by the weekend. I will be in a very open area Saturday and expect the snow to be a non factor. The area I looked at today is pretty protected so it was surprising that the wind took care of it.

Batman09
    Michigan

keep the updates coming.
    I’m going out this evening here in Indiana to test the rods out for the season.
    We would like to get up there the weekend before Christmas.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Thanks for the advice Mr. Clark!

FDR

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

Does anyone have any curent ice conditions? Looking to put some fish on the ice on sunday. PM me if your gonna be out.

wallclimber
    Stoddard WI

We have nice plowed road behind waters edge. Fihing has been good ice is 4 + good ice no poping or cracking. Caught a lot of nice gills yesterday .LET THE ICE FISHING BEGIN YAHOOOOOOO!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

The bite was particular and the fish were moving quickly today but Justin and I were able to put together a decent batch of fish. I’ll have a full report and lots of pictures to add after tomorrow. This weekend’s theme is “In search of monster gills” So far I think we are failing as our biggest 3 or 4 fish are in the 8-1/2″ to 8-3/4″ range but we’ll see what tomorrow brings. Justin was able to catch a few decent crappies too, myself only catching one . Hopefully we’ll tag a couple 9-1/2″+ fish tomorrow that fit in the category that i dub “monster gills.”
    PS- we felt like taking some infisherman pics today

wallclimber
    Stoddard WI

alls well at stodard. as posted earlier, the fishing was great this afternoon will be busy sun before the game im going early good luck sun

wallclimber
    Stoddard WI

stoddard is packed with people. the paper story swamped us fishing has slowed still getting gills but its vey crowded

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The trick to fishing Stoddard is…..show up late after everyone has there spot. Stay in the cuts but keep 30-40 yards out of the crowd

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

Went out to the airport late this morning and had a good bite, lots of sorting and not as big gills as other places but got about a dozen mostly 7-7 1/2 but 2 or 3 over 8. Not bad for a couple hours in the middle of the day. Orange Ratso and a Blue and White demon spoon worked well with waxies.

scottgill
    kenosha wi

I agree with brett. Was there on thursday and got alot of fish went back to same place on fri morning and it was good untill people started showing up so we moved and did really good again. If you are going to fish stoddard for the monkey see monkey do stuff your not going to get much you have to be willing to walk and do alot of moving and it will pay off good luck all.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

I actually prefer a lot of people .. its always great to have a large crowd of adoring fans, as I pull one potato chip after another up on the ice

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I actually prefer a lot of people .. its always great to have a large crowd of adoring fans, as I pull one potato chip after another up on the ice

you can bet I’d be clapping too

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.