Ice Fishing Alone

• trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

Lately, many of the articles regarding ice fishing have commented that you should not go ice fishing by yourself. Is it enough to let people know where you are going fishing or should ice fishing be on the “buddy system”

Thank you,
    Mike

ZEROdegrees

If you want to fish by yourself all you have to do is make sure you have safe ice and all of your gear is in good working condition. Bring a cell phone and fish on a lake you know. You should be good.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I fish alone sometimes. I don’t usually do it until the ice is well over 12 inches thick. I can’t say I go to new lakes alone, but I have no problem going to the 2 lakes near me alone. I am not going to stay home because my buddies are slackers and can’t get up before the sun comes up.

trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

I’m afraid of unsafe ice

Don’t you agree that, at least, somebody should know where you are going? I know there are some people on this site that fish many different places.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If you don’t have any trust in ice, you should maybe plan your fishing with a friend. By mid-season, most ice can be considered ok but you are not at ease alone, you will not enjoy the trip. There’s no harm in waiting to fish until you can have some company.

ZEROdegrees

Don’t be scared to go by youself! Just don’t be stuip on the ice because that is how you get into trouble. Just be careful.(Fish on my man). Be careful and good luck!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Common Sense can go a long way !!

AverageSportsman
    SE MN

I fish by myself a few times a year. Always let the wife know where I am going, bring cell phone, ice picks, and most importantly bring the common sense along for the ride Use your head and put safety above all else and you should be fine, just keep in mind accidents can and do happen to all of us at some point you can’t prevent everything, but using your head you can diminish the risks to a safer level.

Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

Wear a life jacket and bring ice spikes cause if you go in you’ll need to pull yourself out.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you push the safty factor I think you better have a buddy with you – Just make sure they are not standing right next to you if you go thru. i fish about 80% of the time by myself. I just play it safe and usually will not head out unless I see others in the area I’m heading or have been out there safely before.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Yep, and sooner or later Dave and I will give it a try sometime

I fish a lot by myself, cell phone in a zip lock and the wife knows where I am at.

I will however push the limits a tad when my good buddy Mikehd is a long on the trip

PS: Make sure your buddy likes you

whiskeyandwater
    ????

75% of the time I’m alone, However Someone ALWAYS knows where I’m @ Cell phone is in my pocket.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Quote:

Quote:

75% of the time I’m alone, However Someone ALWAYS knows where I’m @ Cell phone is in my pocket.

I almost always alone when ice fishing but as said above, use common sense, let someone know where you’ll be, when you’ll be back and I always carry ice spikes ready to be deployed around my neck.
    I also have a emergency blanket on my person, cheap and fit in a pocket and might save a life.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.