Northern WI Ice fishing

• woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Hi All,

This past Saturday I went up to Northern WI to fish a Ice tourney that I’ve fished for the past 4 years. We had most of the tip-ups in the water by 7am and sat back and waited. I had a friend get stuck in a snow drift and spent about 30 minutes getting his truck out. 7:30 we got our first flag, I got a nice 17″ walleye. Hopped back on the atv and went back to the ice shack and drilled a few holes for some more people that were joining us in the day of fishing. Finished with 6 more holes and noticed the same flag up as before.

So my buddy and I got back on the atv and headed over to it. We sat there for about 3 minutes and nothing moved. So I told him to pick it up and see if there was anything there. He grabbed the line and set the hook, and looks up at me and says that whats on the other end feels “Nice”. So he gets the “Nice” fish to the hole 3 times and every time it makes a run and takes out about 15 feet of line. So the fourth time he said that he was going for it and pulling it up the hole. He got its head turned up the hole and as it came up I saw the eyes and it flared its gills i knew it was a “Nice” Walleye. As the mouth came out out of the water I heard a loud snap. My hand Immediately went down the hole, and water almost to my elbow, I some how got the head of the walleye pinned against the side of the hole. I was trying like crazy to get one of my finger tips underneath its gill. I managed to do so and pulled with all I had, the fish went flying and so did a wave of water. The Walleye ended up being 24 5/8 inches, 5 lbs 6 ounces. Its the biggest eye that I have ever caught, or helped catch. I ended up registering the fish in the afternoon and ended winning 1st place in the Walleye category later that day. My prize was a Strikemaster Lazer Mag Xpress which I am very impressed with.

The snap that I heard wasn’t the line breaking as I first thought. When we went back out to the Tip-up and put a minnow back on we discovered that one hook on the trebble actually bent straight. As the hook came out it must have opened the mouth of the fish and as the mouth sprung back it made a snapping noise. Does that make any sense? It all happened Fast!

But needless to say, I didnt fish too hard the rest of the day. The Millers and the Peppermint Dr. were flowing, and It seems to taste better when you catch a nice fish.

I added some pictures and hope they turn out.

What a great Day of fishing!!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Congrats to you guys and your PB eye!

A new auger to boot! It don’t get much better then that!

hib
    Waterloo, IA

Congratulations for a nice fish and a win
    Seems as though when the worst of the worst is unfolding before you and then turns out for the best it just makes the experience all that more fulfilling

bigpike

That’s a great story, you wont forget that anytime soon!

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Congrats Sir.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Congrats!

I have to know, “how did you determine who caught the fish”? Did you rock, paper, scissors for it? You were basically the net man here, albeit an important one!

Good story and pics!

Eric

chrispy003
    Superior, Wisconsin

nice fish woody, ha I was looking at the picture and I was thinking those guys looked familiar. This is Greta’s little brother, small world. Congrats on winning the walleye category.

NickJohnson

congrats woody you missed a good bite on the pete but looked like you had a better day up north

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Cougareye

Just so you know, I gave my buddy the brand new auger. I already had a good one. Lets just say I was a very important net man on this fish.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.