Pool 10 1/1/09

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

THe old saying when life hands you lemons make lemonade really was the rule for this day.

I started out looking for a crappie bite in an area I had not fished this year yet. After punching some holes from the deeper water into the shallows I started out fishing a big mic because of the heavy wind. First trip down as soon as my jig reached the bottom I saw the spring bobber bob and fight on. After a major tussle up he came…about a 17 inch greeen carp. Next hole same thing, as soon as I reached bottom I locked into another of those green monsters. I continued to fish toward the shallower holes and did manage to catch two nice crappies a little higher up in the water column. But the crappie bite was real tough this morning.

Thoughts of moving on to a different backwater looking for crappies crossed my mind but I thought I’ve got a hot bite, just wrong species. Went back to fishing the big mic in the deeper water and caught big bass all morning long. I kept two that were a little over 14 inches but released many more that were significantly bigger. My biggest was just under 19 inches. I was using a long pole with no drag except for my left arm so each fish was an adventure.

What could of been a dissapointing day because of the tough crappie bite turned out to be one of the best mornings I had ever expieienced just by taking what ole man river had to offer.

earnit

Great way to look at it! Sounds like you had a great day! You sure had fun on the long sticks, I bet!

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

That’s pretty cool Brian. Hey, if a guy can get out, chase fish and get his pole bent no matter what species…..life is good.
    One thing about the bass on the river, they interact well with the gills and slabs so you know you are close to the trifecta

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

Nice job Brian….ya throw those bigger ones back for the tournements this summer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.