Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express or Strike-Lite

• Seth Larson
    Winfield, MO

I want to get my first power auger. I know I want a Strikemaster but I am torn between the Laser Express and the Strike-Lite. I do 90% of my ice fishing in Iowa and rarely see ice thicker than 20 inches. I’ve been getting by with manual augers but want to have the ability to move around more when the ice gets thicker.

I understand the difference between the two that the websites state such as 4 stroke to 2 stroke. I am interested in comparisons in drilling speed. I also am interested in the noise factor. I hate when you hear someone fire up an auger and you think they are right next to you. Then you look out and they are over a 1/4 mile from you. Is the strike-lite that much quieter than the Laser express?

Any other comments on these two augers would be greatly appreciated.

Seth

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

The strike lite is quieter than the Lazer mag xpress. However with the new EPA restrictions on strikemasters lineup,..the Mags are now also fairly quiet. You must be reffering to the Jiffy’s similar sound of a Harley Davidson?

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Ya I agree with that Jiffy comment. Sometimes I wonder if its just a gearhead that has bored and stroked his auger and put a straight pipe on it!
    The strikelite is great, I bought one after I sold my last Lazermag Express. Think of it this way, its only a hundred bucks or so more, so divide that over the life and it wont seem near as costly.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Here is a link to another post asking the same question.

link

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I bought my Strike Lite a week ago at Evert’s Resort from Dean…and it’s everything I was told it would be !! Man, is that thing shhhhhhh QUIET shhhhh . Briank told me it was quiet but there are times I think he exagerates a bit but NOT this time…that thing is sweet. It sounds more like my wife’s kitchenaid mixer than an ice auger !! I too have the LazerMag and it’s been a great auger but I can definitely feel the difference in weight. I’m hoping the forums about hard starting in sub zero weather are just inexperience in starting a cold 4 stroke.

mrwalleye
    MN

Why are you guys bashing Jiffy?

when Strikemaster and Jiffy use the exact same Tecumseh motors on their 2 cycle units.

comparing the 4 stroke auger to a 2 cycle auger is like comparing a old 2 cycle Merc to a new Honda.

and by the way if you have never used the new Jiffy Stealth STX PRO you should

it’s the best cutting auger I have ever used you can use 3 fingers to hold it and drill ( no joke )not recommended but it is possible

And yes I do own a Strikemaster Mag III also and love them both

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

No one is bashing Jiffy mrwalleye, they were just commenting on how loud they are. There was nothing stated here but the truth, they do sound like a Harley running in the distance!!
    Can you here it in your head fellas??- Barrrrrrp, Barrrrrp, Barrrrrrrrrp, pup, pup, pup!!!!!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

The STX models are the exception to the Harley Davidson crack

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Barrrrrrp, Barrrrrp, Barrrrrrrrrp, pup, pup, pup!!!!!

Not sure it can be described any more accurately. I love sitting in the house and here someone starting the auger. It’s always a fun game to guess.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

but there are times I think he exagerates a bit

I only exagerate when I’m talking about Redneck Cracker ringworms working.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.