storing ice rods

• Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

i’m going to be buying st. croix legend ice rod and was wondering whats the best way to store it? i usually just bend the spring bobbers over and put it in the rod case. but i was wondering if that affects the action of the spring bobber? so any help is appreciated

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I haven’t had the chance to fish with the St. Croix Ice rods yet, but isn’t the spring bobber removeable. If that is the case just remove the spring bobber and store it for later use. Just remember where you store it…

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I stored mine w/ the spring bent all summer and just fished with it today. Popped right back to normal when tension was released

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

I keep the line lose so that the spring bobber won’t bend then into the rod sleeve they go.Hard sided arrow cases also work great to give those rods extra protection.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

The tube that it comes in explains how to store… basically, push the spring as far forward in the grommet as it will go, and then tighten the line down with the hook placed in the hook holder at the base of the rod. Pushing the spring forward through the grommet allows all the tension to go into the spring.

I do the above… and then carefully place the rod into my MarCum rod storage bag.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I store them all winter in my rod bag with the springs fully loaded. They bounce right back after a full year. If you have concerns, just push the spring down as far as you can on the rod and put it away. Congrats on getting an EXCELLENT ice rod

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

I’ve bought some plastic tubes that you see used in golf bags and use them to store my SC ice rods. Cut them to the length you need. Punch a hole in opposite sides of the tube on the reel end and run a heavy duty rubber band that has been cut thru each of the holes then tie a knot in each end. The rubber band can be stretched around your reed to hold every thing in place. Costs around $1 for everything and works great, especially given the fact that those rods are expensive.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I got one of these last year.

otter hard case

And absolutely love it. Toss it into the sled, or strap in on the wheeler and never have to worry about breaking a rod.

Yes, it might seem expensive, but once you put a st croix ice rod or 2 in there, well worth the investment.

I also use it as a table in the shack when I’m fishing by myself. It fits across the sled nicely.

Jami

Rugbyguy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

I’ve bought some plastic tubes that you see used in golf bags and use them to store my SC ice rods. Cut them to the length you need. Punch a hole in opposite sides of the tube on the reel end and run a heavy duty rubber band that has been cut thru each of the holes then tie a knot in each end. The rubber band can be stretched around your reed to hold every thing in place. Costs around $1 for everything and works great, especially given the fact that those rods are expensive.

I just use the rod tube that the St. Croix came in, works great as well.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

I just took the reel off and stored it back in the tube that it was in when I purchased it and put the reel back in it’s box for safe keeping. I’m not usually this organized but I really like this rod and reel so I’m trying something new – taking good care of it.

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

My brother and I went to W-Mart and picked up the tubes for golf culbs (very cheap) then cut them to lenght and cut a grove for the reel handle to slide into. This protect the rods and keep the line from tangling with other poles. It work very well last year.

JP Mason

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

Jami,

Can you really get 4 rods in that otter storage case?

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

Jami,

I’ll bet he can get more than that. I run a arrow case which looks to be the same size and I can get 6.

BIRDDOG

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Jami,

I just took a look and I’ve got 5 in there right now. Room for the present under the tree that looks/feels just like a croix rod tube…

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks Jami!

Looks like I need to buy a Christmas present for myself…

tyguy11
    Alma Wi

I have a rod case that I picked up from Gander Mountain a few years ago and love it. I can hold 2 poles easily and it has a couple of pockets that I store my tackle boxes in. It also has a PVC tube to keep the rods from getting broken. As for the springs on the rods I take them out while still on the line and set it into the eyes of the pole. My tiptop eye and second eye are pretty close together so it fits well, and no bending.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Thanks Jami!

Looks like I need to buy a Christmas present for myself…

Heck yes, you’ll love it. That thing is rock solid!

Jami

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I really liked the looks of the Otter case for protecting my rods and started looking to other options once I saw the price

Now for value, I am a buyer for a living after all, wouldn’t something like this be at least as good for protecting my rods and is half the price?

I know it’s a foot longer and a few inches wider, but that really doesn’t matter to me since I’m pulling my portable with my wheeler.

eisert

My girlfreind got me a bag last year at Fleet Farm. It’s soft sided, but it fits 8 combos, 2 tip ups, my marcum, and pockets for tackle boxes. Also has straps so you can put it on like a backpack. Cost around 30-40 bucks. Made by Croxton.

troy_blackstad
    Hastings MN

This is what I made to keep my rods out of the danger zone all summer. Just 1″ pvc pieses. Cap screwed to the wood, short piese then a 45. The St. Croix Legend rod needs another piese of 1″ to keep at about a 45. Easy to make and works great for me. I leave slack in my lines I don’t know that it makes a difference.?

beckzl32

i have the keeper seat and it has a rod locker built in and i think it works great

2iceman
    Gem Lake, Minnesota

I store mine in a bow and arrow case. The foam is in there and you can leave the reals on. The case is hard plastic which protects the equipment.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Here is one of my Otter rod boxes. The other one is like Jamis. The plastic is the same plastic they use on their sleds, it is very strong, and can stand up to the cold. It also has two metal clasps to lock it closed not like those plastic ones found on a lot of the bow cases.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Man thats perdy

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.