First gill

• kirk moe
    Algona,Iowa

I finally got out to do some ice fishing this past Sunday afternoon. I was accompanied by my brother in law Jamie and his son Eli. What was so cool about this trip was that it was there first time to ice fish and Eli needed learn some basic fishing fundamentals to earn wolf scout status.

We started out targeting brush piles for crappies. An hour pasted and nothing so we moved to a dormant weed line for some gills. We popped 3 holes slide my Clam Voyager into place and started the Mr. Heater up. I got my Vexilar out and the ducer in the hole and it lit up. I helped Jamie and Eli get there waxies on and lines in the water. Eli no more than got his tear drop down and smack he had one on. Soon after Eli caught his first gill Jamie landed his first.

We didn’t stay long for Eli wanted to get back and play with his cousins before he headed home. But in the 3 hours he went from a kid who had no clue about fishing to someone who now can bait his own hook, land his own fish and read a Vexilar. To top it off he learned alongside his father….

I had so much fun helping them out that I didn’t wet a line. What a great afternoon and thanks to Jamie and Eli for letting me enjoy it with them.

birddog
    Mn.

That right there is what it’s all about! Look at that smile on the kids face.

BIRDDOG

cweber01

awesome fish, and an even better story!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Way to go Moe !!!

Well done my friend

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

That is why I enjoy this site so much,to hear stories like yours. It IS about the kids,you will remember it always, thank you

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Nice gill Eli and Jamie

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Nice job Moe! There is nothing like fishing with kids and seeing them smile from ear to ear.

John

hoistafish1
    Long Prairie,MN

That there is what it’s all about, another young’in hooked on fishing!! Thanks for the story

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

Way to go Moe

fishbizbob

Boy’s smile says it all!! They’re the future of our sport!!!
    Nice to see.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Nice job Moe, it sure is nice when you can take a kid fishing and put them on fish. Keep up the good work!

Ed

kirk moe
    Algona,Iowa

Thanks guys

It was an awesome time.
    Next Monday I have a meeting with the Kossuth County Kids Fishing Club. Hope to be planning an ice fishing trip with all the kids.

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

Looks like Eli has a nice bull gill there The key to maintaining future fishing locations/habitat is getting the youth involved. Great job Kirk

gagervais

way to go Moe…i am going to hit big creek today 02/03/07…i have been looking really hard for spots that no one fishes using maps and my scout XL to find stumps and so forth….i am try my hardest to find the big eyes!!!!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Kirk, That is so cool buddy! Awesome!!

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

thats a good one!!!!!!!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.