line catching, bottom of holes

• AkDan

Ok, after the past two days I have to ask if there’s a possible way to fix this.

My line was either cutting into or catching on the bottom of the hole. Cost me one awfully nice fish. I’m not sure if it’s the line diameter being so small (10lb stren super braid with a 3lb mono equivalant) or due to blow out with the auger?

Anyone else have this problem?

TGM
    Lakeville,MN.

Akdan,
    There use to be a device that attached to your auger that would put a bevel on the bottom of the hole.I`ve never used one but I`ve seen the advertisement ,looked interesting.I`m sure someone knows what it is called…..This sounds like what you need

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I dont know if those gizmo’s are still on the market.

I don’t know anyone who has used one.

If you find a way to not get caught on the bottom of the hole, I’d like to know too.

I think everybody who ice fishes has that problem sometimes.

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

When we pop a hole, we angle the auger and rotate it, it extends the hole on the bottom and helps to keep the line from cutting. Then we go and drink beer and wait.

col._klink
    St Paul

Randy is right. Try to angle your holes a little bit. That should cure your problem. I do that when we fish big pike. I should not say this but…..Have not lost one yet. I hoped I did not just jinx myself.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

AKDAN

I use the same mothod mentioned above. At the same time I went to a 10 inch bit. A little excesive, but efficient.

scottsteil
    Central MN

That superbraid you are using works like and ice saw. Try using a flourocarbon line and you will not have that problem because there is a little strech to it. If you are set on using no-strech braid, you will have that problem.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I agree with Scott 100%…
    I have actually had my line, (fighting a catfish on an ultralight) cut its way into the ice, I am guessing half an inch. I don’t know what I was thinking…
    I used to have those problem, then I switched to flouro on some of my rods, and trilene ice line, on some of the others. Problem solved!

AkDan

Scott,

I really thought that was my culprit, the line more then anything. I do like the no stretch lines due to the depth we are fishing (and the potential to land a monster laker is there so line capacity is an issue!). I’ve thought about going from the super braid to a filament super line like fireline.

As far as beveling I’ll have to give that a try but I’ll be honest we are burying a jiff model 31 with the 6″ exstension right now and only expect more ice to come as winter drags on. I expect on this lake we are about 42″es or more. We’ve bottomed out a 8″ barracuda with a 12″ exstension (54″es) of ice less then a week ago now. So it seems some lakes have a considerable more amount of ice then others but either way it’s a ton.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I’d assume your cutting into the ice as the fish draws near the hole? If so use your no stretch line as the primary line then nail knot a 6-8 foot leader of heavy mono to your lure. It might just make the difference without losing the no stretch deep water advantage.

AkDan

Havent tried a nail knot but I sure dont trust a blood knot. Already am using the stren super braid then running a 3 to 4′ leader of flurocarbon seperated by a barrel swivel.

The one fish I lost due to this was cutting the hole way up. Along with a few others long before they hit the hole. I did loose it at the hole though due to my line hanging up. With 44″es or so of ice there was no way to get my lil 34″ ht rod down deep enough to free it before the hooks popped off. Unfortunatly it was a pretty big laker to boot, sure would have been nice to really see it and maybe get a photo.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I don’t recommend fireline on the ice, the negatives out weigh any positives. I would try spooling up with some Seaguar (filler spool, not leader material) on a rod. I would think 12 pound would be plenty for any fish. It is a flourocarbon line, but the abrasion resistance can not be touched by any other flouro line. The stuff is amazing. I think you will be suprised how much better it fishes over a superline. In addition, there is a little bit of stretch to the line so you won’t lose as many fish.

AkDan

Scott,

Just curious what the negatives of using fireline are? Have never even tried it which is funny as I have three bait casters spooled up with the stuff and love it for summer kings.

If I stay with the spinning reels I don’t have the line capacity to go with the fluro for the main line. Any other options? I’m headed south for two weeks and should get quite a bit of shopping in while I am gone, including respooling these two spinning reels. I’ve thought about using the bait casters on the ice rods however they are spinning not casting ice rods regarding the handles. Though I am sure it doesnt matter as you aren’t casting, I just havent given it a try yet. Line is the big issue at this point.

As far as stretch, I am really loving the no stretch lines. For shallow water (30′ and up) stretch lines are fine, but for deep water fishing 80-140′ or so I’m really liking the no stretch lines. Missed a couple of fish in not really deep water (65′) trying to run mono and a tube for lakers. Set the hook and never did pull tight. I know reel reel reel, then set the hook. Habit I guess is to just set the hook eh.

col._klink
    St Paul

Get yourself some P line!

scottsteil
    Central MN

I use fireline for flatline trolling, and a few summer applications. However, in the winter it is a pain to deal with because of how it acts in extreme cold. Also, the lack of strech is a real pain. If you are fishing extremely big fish, with heavy long rods you can get away with it, but you will still have the line cutting into the hole issue.

I also, don’t like Mono. Flourocarbon lines are perfect for winter use because they don’t strech as much as mono and are way more abbraision resistant. Plenty of hooking power and just enough strech to keep you from losing the fish on a head shake.

AkDan

Well I went shopping today for some flurocarbon. What P line are yall using then? They had the fluro clear which is some kind of coated line, and the extra tough which I believe is solid fluro?

AkDan

TTT Have a week left here in sportsmens shopping paradise, still need some help with line!!!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Sorry Dan, I have been busy with a filming project. As for Flouro, I like Vanish, P-Line and Seaguar. Make sure you get the filler spool, not leader material. For Walleye I use 6lb and for panfish I use 2lb. The diameter is slightly smaller than mono. I can’t imagine using more than 12lb test for anything, no matter how hard they fight.

AkDan

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I had the opportunity to run with a guy today who was running p-line fluro not sure the test. After seeing that I’m going to stay with the stren super braid (still using the 10lb at the moment, and it’s still cutting into the ice ugg).

I agree on the 12lb mono, even for 30lb lakers. My partner landed a 28 pounder last thursday and we’re hanging into 15lb char on almost every outing!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.