CHUBBY DARTERS?

• gr8angler

JUST PICKED A COUPLE OF THOSE CHUBBY DARTERS UP YESTERDAY ANYONE USE THEM? HAD ANY LUCK CLOSE TO WHAT THEY CLAIM YOU’LL HAVE WITH THEM??

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I have some of them. In my experiences, don’t expect great results with them in moving water. I’ve tried them through the ice on the Mississippi and have a hard time finding bottom with them. They are just too light for my taste.

I’m sure they work great on lakes though. Just no experience with them there though.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Not sure what they claim but they are great! We have had the best luck with the perch and chub designs.

gr8angler

GREAT! I BOUGHT 2 PERCH AND 1 OF THE GLOWS. I GUESS ILL FIND OUT. THANKS FOR THE INFO!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I used a them yesterday on mille lacs.. I had one walleye hit. I don’t know how I missed . I think they are a good lure to attract fish into the area. Might be too big and bulky for lathargic fish though!!!
    Just my 2 cents..

gr8angler

SO THERE PROBABLY BETTER TO USE AS AN ATTRACTOR AND DROP A MINNOW OR WAXIE DOWN THE OTHER HOLE?? I SUPPOSE YOU’D GET YOUR OCCASIONAL HIT AS WELL!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

That would be an idea. I was really suprised yesterday the walleyes were smacking any spoon type of lure. That is why I put down the Chubby darter because i thought they would slam this. Guess not. Oh well I think i will try this lure on LOW this weekend!!!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Heidi and I used them a little on LOTW this last weekend. We were inside pine island in the current and Heidi dropped it down to the bottom and then cranked it up a couple cranks and missed 2 and caught one in 45 minutes and I had one bit off 10 minutes after putting it on and then missed another bite but that was it. I am going to use them up at LOTW next time I am up there.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I was using a perch colored chubby darter in my father-in-law’s spearhouse over Christmas. I was going for walleye and had luck getting some nice eyes last year. This year I didn’t even see an ‘eye.

However the freakin’ northerns would not leave the chubby darter alone. I was constantly reeling it up to get the northerns out of there. Eventually one of those snot rockets came flying in out of nowhere and bit off my one and only darter.

When you can actually watch the action that chubby darters have and the way fish react to them you can see they are a pretty cool lure. At the very least you will attract fish in with them. Good luck!

dd

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

They work great in open water too.. Vertical jigging.

mdokken
    Bloomington,Mn

Yesterday, just before sunset, I put on a small chubby darter with shiner pattern. I jigged it pretty aggresively in shallow (<8′) water, just to check the action. I caught and releases 3 small crappies in about ten minutes. They all hit on slack line, and all had the darter fully in their mouth- sideways. After dark, nothing.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I used a them yesterday on mille lacs.. I had one walleye hit. I don’t know how I missed . I think they are a good lure to attract fish into the area. Might be too big and bulky for lethargic fish though!!!
    Just my 2 cents..

A recent Walleye Insider article states that swimming lures in general don’t work as well when ‘eyes are in neutral or negative “mood”. They work best when they are in an aggressive “mood”. The article advised using a jigging spoon when in a negative mood.

So this seems to support your theory.

Sully

TGM
    Lakeville,MN.

Maybe they need to make a smaller one,they can call it a stubby chubby.
    Jiggle-jiggle

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

That’s funny

I have caught some jumbo’s on this lure as well…I just think this lure needs to be used at the proper time….I think I would be a good lure on Rainy River in the spring…I think I will try that…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.