Red Lake 01/29/2004

• Jira

My second trip in 3 weeks to Red Lake was not as productive as the first.

We put in at Roger’s at 8am and after punching a few holes we settled on a spot about 3 miles out. We were marking plenty of fish on both the FL-18 and x67 with the most visitors between 11 and 2. We threw various glow jigs, jiggin spoons, buzz jigs, teardrops, bare hooks and alike tipped with small shiners, crappie minnows, and wax worms, (swimmers and head-only) down the holes. Four of us only managed to scrap together a few small eyes.

In talking to others, the bite has been morning mostly with a brief evening bite. While we talked to no one who filled out, some groups caught some and some did not. Seemed pretty evenly spread.

Also of note, both West Wind and Hudec’s roads were under significant slush and they were not letting people out on the lake when we arrived. Hillman’s and Roger’s were open and mostly slush free.

I hope to return in 2 weeks for a better bite.

Tight lines,

jon

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We are heading back up on the 12th. I hope the roads are better by then!
    Tuck

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

I talked with my friend who runs sleepers out of West Winds and he said the ice heaved in so many different areas they had made 3 different roads this past weekend, cant expect it to get any better with thses warmer temps But on the bright side of things I read a report from Hillmans that 8 out of 9 of his rental houses limited out plus, now thats some good news

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Hillman’s road was great on Friday. We caught 8 from 5:30 to 8 pm. Pink/glow, red glow, blue glow, all fish on dead sticks, would only look at the jiggin spoons. 4.5 miles out 200 yds from houses in the main group.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Hillman’s road was great on Friday. We caught 8 from 5:30 to 8 pm. Pink/glow, red glow, blue glow, all fish on dead sticks, would only look at the jiggin spoons. 4.5 miles out 200 yds from houses in the main group.

Thats where we did real well about 3 weeks ago the next time up Hilmans had their rentals planted all in row.
    The fishing on RED LK has picked up again….

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Ooooh! I can’t wait! My son and a buddy of mine are heading up Saturday morning for an overnight out of Rogers. It is not Caribou this time, but a guy who rents out of there. I hope we get into them. Anyone been out of Rogers lately?
    Tuck

GEMEYEGUY

Tuck
    Would you recommend Caribou?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I was in the hospital. My buddy took my son and one of his up. I think they liked them just fine. They caught fish! That helps!
    Tuck

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

Tuck, my buddy has his palace out a few miles on rogers and he has been catchin em but I still dont think anything too impressive for numbers is coming in consistent at any one place. The bite still sounds like a guy really has to work to get his fish to connect, red seems to be the ticket, glow or not, id say try a minnow head on if nothing is going quite well, seemed to be the trick at different times.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!
    Tuck

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.