What’s your favorite jigging spoon?

• panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Thought I’d start a post on what some of your favorite spoons for ice fishing were.

I like in no special order…

Kastmaster
    Buckshot rattle
    Angel eyes
    Glow devils
    forage minnow

These are what I have had good luck on in the past. I’ve bought a few other I’m going to try out this winter.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I second the Kastmaster, along with Swedish Pimples and Varmits.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Glow Devil or Angel Eye

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

I second what Derek has down for his choice.I started to use these last year and was very happy with the results.
    But my go to lures would be a Pilkie and Hali’s.
    Ryan Hale

herb
    6ft under

For Rathbun crappies I like the forage minnows and swedish pimples. Might have to try some of Derek’s choices this year. Hard to find quality stuff for ice fishing this far south, and I don’t buy anything unless I can see it up close for color and size.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Pimples up in my neck of the woods. Heck they even worked on the river last trip on walleye.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I know I probably don’t have to answer this because everyone knows I use Glow Devils. That is pretty much it, Glow Devils 98% of the time.

PS…Most people over jig their jigging spoons. That is my tip of the day

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Same as for open water…. Willow Spoon or Hildebrant (sp?) flutter spoon. I also like buckshot spoons for pounding the bottom.

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

Buck shot rattle especially after dark

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Glow Devil or Angel Eye

Lenny Jamison

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Was going through my ice tackle last night and found out that I forgot to mention a lure. It’s called a Vin-gla (sp?) It drops slower than the heavy spoons and can be deadly when tipped with 3 small crappie minnows. I replace the trebles with larger ones to accomodate the minnows. I believe 6 eyes are better than 2.

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

I always like Swedish Pimples with minnow or just with a minnow head. Anybody still have or see a Russian Minnow, can’t find that style in bait shops any more. It had a great rocking action

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Just wondering who makes the Glow Devil and Angel Eyes.

Hey Ryan, while I’m at it, who makes Pilkie and Halis too?

Thanks a lot, Chris

lebruce
    C.R. Iowa

Quote:

Just wondering who makes the Glow Devil and Angel Eyes.
    Hey Ryan, while I’m at it, who makes Pilkie and Halis too?
    Thanks a lot, Chris

Chris, The Glow Devil and Angel Eyes are made by Scenic Tackle and the Halies are made by Nils Master.You can find them listed here at Thorne Bros. .Hope this helped,Lee.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Helps tremendously! Thanks Lee

Chris

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Anyone ever jig Mepps Cyclops’? There are many pictures on the Mepps website, of Pike that people have caught jigging these.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Chris,Pilkies are a local lure that are made in NW IA.They are “the lure” for us perch fishermen in this area.If you want me to get you a few there $3 each.
    Ryan Hale

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Thanks Ryan but I was reading a post somewhere on here that said to shop for ice fishing gear to hold you over for the hard waters’ arrival. After two days of that funds are low and I just want to hit it harder now But I did find some Hali and Angel Eye’s at Gander. Thanks for the offer but I should be pretty well set now.
    Chris

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

What is everyone elses favoprite and why? Do your prefer one color over the other?
    Thanks, Bill

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

An Angle Eye Jr in red and gold finish gets my vote. I’ve caught just about everything from Panfish to Eyes on that spoon on lakes in WI , MN and Canada. I don’t hit the ice without them.
    Fishing for Walleyes I add a minnow head, Crappeis/Perch I add a few bugs.

superdave
    NE IA

What size kastmaster should I get? I checked my inventory and I don’t have any at all.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I use 3 different sizes of Kastmasters. The bodies are 1.5″, 1.75″, and 2″ long. Don’t have the packaging any more so I don’t know their size number. The small one is for perch or nuetral walleyes and the large one is for aggressive walleyes. I start with the middle one when fishing aggresive perch in deeper (15-30 ft) water.

My .02

elheldt
    N E Iowa

no.2 jigging raps. But it looks like I am going to have to stock some Glo-devils and angel eyes.

juggs
    The biggest nightcrawler bed in all of Minneapolis

Putz–The Vingla is a style of Swedish Pimple I believe. It has great action but they’re hard to find.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Dave I like the smallest one you can buy I believe its a 1/12 oz. I like the blue/chrome and the red/gold the best. They work great for perch also heavy enough to get right back down when a school come by!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Yeah, Juggs, a pimple with wings. I got mine at Johnson’s Bait and gas station in Isle, Minn. Not sure if it is called that any more though.

Borch

My favorite is the Go Devil in 1/16 for crappies and 1/8 oz for eyes. Next would be the Angel Eye Jrs and then the Swedish Pimples or Varmits. I like Glow, Glow Red, Chartruese or Gold.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I like Varmits and the good old Jig-A-Whooper(swim jig).. for some reason the big walleyes around here like big, fast falling lures some of the time.

I have tried most the spoons out there with few really standing out.. It usually comes down to the right place and time, and the right bait presentation(size) for the fish under your feet. Color makes a huge difference. I like Gold, it seems to work everywhere, orange finds my line 2nd if the gold isnt working usually.

I have also had very good luck on light weight jigging spoons made by mom-and-pop manufactures. The willow spinnerblade outfitted with a hook(sodered to, or connected by split ring) are deadly. They have a very slow, fluttering fall which is often too much for fish to resist. The only downfall of this type of lure is the weight… takes forever to get them down if your fishing deep.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Vinglas

setdahook
    south dakota

#3 all white do-jigger (another type of pimple)
    havnt used anything else for last 2 years.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.