Letting the bait come to you!

• Bryan Myers

I was crib fishing for panfish the other day and like normal I forgot something, this time it was larva. Not a big deal normally I’m only using plastic anyway. Well the bite was kind of tough after working some fish for few minutes I finally got one to commit, it was just a small bass but something even smaller was laying on the ice after he swam back down. I had to do a double take to realize what it was, it was a small leech. I figured there was only one thing to do with it put it on the hook! The results were immediate the pan fish were loving it and it held on for quite a while through quite a few fish.

This is something I have done with freshwater shrimp before when perch fishing but that was a first for me with a leech. Now if I could just find a spot to get micro leeches.

That’s pretty neat. I’m sure come fishing opener you’ll be seeing micro leeches everywhere..

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Way to make due with the current circumstances. I know in the summer up near the Detroit Lakes are of Minnesota; small leeches are the ticket on drop shot for big sunfish. This is partly why I believe the mustache worm by Trigger X is such a great bait. – QB

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Never fished small leaches in the winter..but black is often a hot color on the river !!
    Great job QB …looks like that added to the excitement for the day !!!

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Generally make it a practice at sunset when the big gills come in to switch from crawler slices to small leeches.
    If you’re really hard up for leeches start checking the stomach contents.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

The Northland Tackle plastic mini tapeworm looks like a litte leech. Its an idea.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Try tying a single strand of black or dark brown silicone or rubber skirt material to the hook and trim it to the length you want.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.