Pike line

• BBKK
    IA

Going on an impromptu pike journey this weekend. Going to fish a section of river backwaters in 3-8′ of water. The fish are small, most around 12-18″ and the biggest maybe 25″. The chance of a fish over 20″ is not high. I don’t have any heavier ice gear since I am a panfisherman. The “biggest” rod I’ve got is the 36″ UL-XF trumar made for me, that will do. I tested it today and it will handle a small lindy darter and 1/8oz spoon just fine, and it has a great backbone. That’s what I’m planning on using since the chance of catching a crappie or bass is also high, and the pike are small.

What should I do for line? I’ve got a spare pflueger reel to use, with a great drag. 4lb mono, 6lb mono, 4lb braid, or 3lb ice line? I’m leaning towards the 4lb braid since it should be right at or above freezing and sunny.. shouldn’t have ice-up problems. I’m pretty much writing the 3lb line off since although it would be fun, I really don’t want to lose $5 lures.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Be prepared to lose some.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Should not have any issues with the 4# braid. I have pulled in 37″ pike on 6# Copoly. As you know set your drag right and have a blast

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I would assume you have some bigger # test for the leader? Those lil snakes have got the sharpest teeth around and won’t matter how good your drag is when they turn and burn.

BBKK
    IA

I’ve got 6lb co poly p-line, 6lb seaguar flouro, 8lb seaguar floro, and 8lb co poly as well if one of those is a better choice.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I would assume you have some bigger # test for the leader? Those lil snakes have got the sharpest teeth around and won’t matter how good your drag is when they turn and burn.

Oh yeah, was planning on using a 12″ section of 10-14# fluoro.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

As long as you have the leader, I would think use whatever you like. You are pretty shallow so might not matter too much, but braid might let you achieve a sharper snap of your baits to call em in. Sounds like fun and good luck.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Why not use a tip-up?

Egts

You’ll be fine with 4# & leader as long as the drag is set correctly. I’d suggest setting it a little light, then when one takes it you can tighten it down when he/she takes it & starts running. The rod also makes a huge difference in how light of line one can use, I pulled a 44″ northern in 2 years ago on 6#. I’d use 4#’ that way if you want to target panfish you can clip the leader & have at it.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Why not use a tip-up?

I will. But we are only allowed 1 tip up and 1 rod or 2 tip-ups. Would be very boring sitting there watching two tip-ups all day.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Would be very boring sitting there watching two tip-ups all day.

True dat……

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Would be very boring sitting there watching two tip-ups all day.

True dat……

Not if the tips are up!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

You’ll be good with braid. It’s amazing how many pike you can hook in the snout when fishing with a lengthier profile bait (spoon) paired with a whole minnow or a minnow tail. My son and I did this last year near Buffalo slough and had a blast. We lost a few, but most were hooked with the line nowhere near their teeth.

Joel

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.