Best Low-Mid Range Gear

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

In honor of Wififisherman and for my own use, I’d like to start a thread on those of us who don’t buy high end gear for ice fishing. Lets say combos < $50, reels < $30, Rods < $30 and marine electronics < $300. Other gear, use your own judgement.

I’ll start.

I like my Genz inline real. It’s no frills and I feel a little more sporting using it over a spinning reel. I won’t use it in water approaching and deeper than 20′. At that point, stripping line can be a little cumbersome.

I love the Showdown. I don’t need colors, I just need to know something is down there and if it is interested. It’s simple to use and has nice target separation. I’ve had issues with it powering off between holes when hole hopping and scrambled returns when first putting it down the hole sometimes.

I have the FishPhone camera, but have only used it once. So far I am impressed. And my partners can use it too at the same time by connecting to the wifi signal and entering the password after download and running the app on their phones. I tried using the tablet with it, but a 9″ tablet is a bit clumsy on the ice and not necessary is you have at least a 4″ screen on your phone.

I often use those adjustable sponge bobbers. Sometimes my hands are shaky and it makes it difficult to detect strikes.

I couldn’t tell you the brands of my rods I couldn’t tell you the brand of my reels either, just that they are anti-reverse.

castle-rock-clown

I use store brand bulk toilet paper. Regular gas from Quick Trip, plain pocket jeans from Blain’s Farm and Fleet. And ramen noodles.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Thanks for your useful insight troll.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I have a favorite shallow water panfish rod that cost about $30 new with the small inline reel attached. It’s a 48″ HT noodle rod, the blue one with the orange tip. I rarely sit in a shack (on the 2 times a year I try to catch bluegills). Not having to hunch over a whole to jig a short rod saves a lot on my bad back.

This winter I built some 39″ hole hopping eye/crappie rods too. I fished them last week with a number 7 jigging rap which was on the high end of lure weights, but also use them to fish 1/8 oz spoons for eyes and pies.

A buddy and I built some wooden tip downs, between scrap wood and the jig poles, we have about $6 a piece into those.

matt

Ive got two ice combos I purchased of the cabelas brand for 25$ bucks a combo I have been catching fish on for 6 years now,and I fish at least three days a week.I run cheap 50$fenwick rods and30$ okuma reels in summer for the last 7 years and catch just as many fish as buddies with the loomis and st croix rods and spendy pfluger reels.In my mind its not the gear that catches the fish.Could I afford better gear?Sure i could but thatd be less fuel in the tanks for all my fishin trips,and the gear I do run catches just fine.

castle-rock-clown

Quote:

Thanks for your useful insight troll.

Hey, I’m not independently wealthy, but saving on everyday items allows me to buy “the expensive stuff” when it comes to interests I’m passionate about.

briansmude

I try to use as much of my summer stuff as I can to keep cost down on ice fishing, god knows I got enough money spent on that. I just had the conversation with a friend on how I might start making my own spoon because I hate spending $4+ on a little spoon. I have some of the cheapest rods and a couple of cheap reels as well. But can you tell why the manufacturers can’t put a single drop of oil on their drag washers.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

My favorite low-mid range product is the $25 Eagle Claw inline reel with freespool… I find that it is 99% as good as the more expensive machined Al version at 1/4 of the price

One area that I really do feel spending more $$ makes a big difference is having a quality rod… I don’t push any products on my friends but I always let them borrow my stuff anytime they want to try it out. In the past year I’ve had over a dozen friends who’ve never owned a custom rod purchase a TUC after fishing with mine for just a few hours because they thought that it really did make a difference versus a big store brand.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I usually snap off a stick and weave my own hair into braided line…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I usually snap off a stick and weave my own hair into braided line…

But what do you use for bait?

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Just gnaw my way through goldenrods. I wait 24 hours after the first bite so that it has time to pass through the entire digestive system, thus no need for a hook.

GoldWinger

Bought a cheap tip down rig at Fleet a couple of years ago, then made a couple more. Last year on Lake of the Woods it outdid jigging by at least 2 to 1…only problem is hauling ’em up hand over hand rather than reeling….but effective dead stick.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I encourage a lot of Do It Yourself type projects. In addition to building rods, a lot of satisfaction comes from making my own tackle. Kind of therapeutic at times also. Some would argue that the start up costs superseded the cost of the end results, but for me, I disagree. I make about 95% of the blade baits I use, about 80% of the jigs we use, 100% of all my drop shot weights, plus a number of spoons and other various tackle. For me, the cost effectiveness comes from bulk. I burn through hundreds of jigs and blade baits a year. I feel better about snapping off a 30 cent blade bait instead of a $3.99 retail blade bait!

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

I have a few high end and custom rods but the majority of my arsenal is made up of St. Croix Premier rods which can be found for arounf $20-$25 (someone posted a link yesterday to St. Croix’s bargain bin – a great time to scoop them up!). I also love my Eagle Claw Inline reels and those could be found early season for $20-$25 (tougher to find now). I purchased a double shotgun case off A mazon and that’s where I tote my ice fishing combo’s (can fit atleast 10 combo’s) and it protects my investments. As far as electronics, I use a Humminbird ICE 45 but the 35’s can be found for under $300 if you search around on the interwebs!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

I use store brand bulk toilet paper. Regular gas from Quick Trip, plain pocket jeans from Blain’s Farm and Fleet. And ramen noodles.

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

I pick and choose where to spend more on certain items. Best example is last year I put an Elite 7 HDI with map chip and ram mount that was around $800 out the door. I paid $1000 for my boat, motor, trailer. But hey the boat pulls great behind my professional grade GMC. I also like Bourbon, I’d rather drink Maker’s Mark and Buffalo Trace but I usually get the Jim Beam so I can get minnows and gas to go fishing without using a credit card.

dld24

Rods-13 fishing wicked series
    Reel-Shimano Sienna
    Flasher-Marcum Vx-1

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

I do my best panfish jigging with cheap no-name solid glass rods from years ago. I can just control them better and hold them steadier. Just add a spring bobber. On these I attach the cheap inline rattle reels. I have a 5″ lazer hand auger, and a couple 5 gallon buckets. I spend some serious money on casting outfits, but for ice fishing I like to go cheap and seem to do as well as everyone else.

Invader440
    Fosston, Mn

Ice Slammer rods along with the now discontinued Ice Slammer 10 spinning reels and a Showdown Troller 2.0 with the performance pack.

milemark_714

Quote:

I encourage a lot of Do It Yourself type projects. In addition to building rods, a lot of satisfaction comes from making my own tackle. Kind of therapeutic at times also. Some would argue that the start up costs superseded the cost of the end results, but for me, I disagree. I make about 95% of the blade baits I use, about 80% of the jigs we use, 100% of all my drop shot weights, plus a number of spoons and other various tackle. For me, the cost effectiveness comes from bulk. I burn through hundreds of jigs and blade baits a year. I feel better about snapping off a 30 cent blade bait instead of a $3.99 retail blade bait!

X10

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Most of my rods are homemade from the tips of busted ultra light summer rods or fly rods. The few I have bought are the Whip’r rods (http://www.stopperlures.com/whipr_rods1.html) its from stopper lures (I use the 48 inch $30) but lots of people aren’t in love with the longer ice sticks like I am. I think it is a perfect rod for all pannies really quick tip and a fast transition to good backbone to tangle with pesky pike or bass. I pair it with a 13 fishing wicked reel and some Stren high vis gold ice line and its deadly.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Most days my fiance outfishes me using the jason mitchell meatstick (noodle rod, $30) while I’m using my TB power noodle. Also, eagle claw inline reels are a steal at the price of $30. To agree with Randy, learn to build your own stuff. Made my first rod this winter, the blank is high quality graphite like the customs, and all the components cost $45. Sure it takes some time, but money is saved and its darn gratifying catching fish on a rod you made yourself.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

13 fishing combos. for 40-50$ there really hard to beat.
    Electronics would be fl-8 or vx-1. What ever one you want.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Quote:

I love the Showdown. I don’t need colors, I just need to know something is down there and if it is interested. It’s simple to use and has nice target separation. I’ve had issues with it powering off between holes when hole hopping and scrambled returns when first putting it down the hole sometimes.

I have the FishPhone camera, but have only used it once. So far I am impressed. And my partners can use it too at the same time by connecting to the wifi signal and entering the password after download and running the app on their phones. I tried using the tablet with it, but a 9″ tablet is a bit clumsy on the ice and not necessary is you have at least a 4″ screen on your phone.

I’ve had the same issues on my Showdown but it’s still nice compared to the other high price tagged options. I sold mine to my brother and got last years Showdown Troller for $130 with a free Powercap and love it. Hole hopping is easier than ever and for $50 you can mount it in a pack that comes with charger and battery so it’s just like the big Showdown just smaller. I have 4 boys and I can get them all one for the price of one high-end flasher. I can often out-fish them all because I can move hole to hole faster than anyone with a free hand because I wear it around my neck with the included lanyard and run it on 6 AA’s that last for many days. I’m still using my first set of batteries and don’t need to worry about recharger every time I get home – just keep 6 spares along. It shows what you need to see, I absolutely love it!

The other best tool is the Navionics smart phone app which is just a few bucks. It’s great for off water homework and use it year round whether on ice, in my canoe, or in a buddies boat. Buy it you’ll love it!

-Gregg

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

Favorite rod- HT Polar Lite 27 ML. Whippy tip with no need for a spring bobber. Wal Mart $13 Eskimo Mako 8″ I got a Frabill 1 man flip from a guy on another site, and a 4 man hub from e-bay for $80 and an Ice 35 for $270. Eagle Claw in line, and the other reels are from $30 combos. The rods have broken on some, replaced with 2 $25 Fenwicks. Other wise Gander rods feel pretty nice for less than $20

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.