Austin VS TUC VS Thorne Bros

• brycenannenga1
    Dubuque Ia

Looking at purchasing a new ice rod, can you guys give me some pros and cons and your overall thoughts for a good perch and walleye rod. I see Austin are a little cheaper but are also fiberglass are they compariable in sensitivity?

tswoboda

I’ve bought and used Austin, TUC, Thorne Bros, and DH. The last 3 mentioned are very comparable and I would be happy with any of them. The Austin Custom Rods were not even close to the others. Don’t get me wrong, Greg was a super nice guy and built exactly what I asked. BUT the blanks he offers just aren’t up to par with the other makers listed.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I haven’t used an Austin or TB rod, but my 36″ TUC Precision is amazing at working all of my 1/16oz – 1/4oz spoons. It works flawlessly for my #6 & #7 Rippin Raps, as well as any size Jigging Rap too. There are a lot of guys on here that use several different custom rods, so if you stay tuned you should get a good mix of ideas to choose from.

tucrs
    NW Metro

What kinda of rod are you looking for?

holmsvc
    SE ND

DH makes a good rod as well.

I have a TB Perch SH and I am very happy with it.

Michelle1969
    NULL

I have DH perch, TB perch and a QT from TUCR. I love all these rods. If you are using larger baits DH and TB would be my choice.

renegadewalleye

I have used TUC an thorne Bros both are good rods. If you wanted it customized a little more I would go with TUC.

Quote:

I have used TUC an thorne Bros both are good rods. If you wanted it customized a little more I would go with TUC.

I don’t understand how a TUC would be more customizable than a TB? TB has more blanks styles and essentially will make whatever you want. The sky’s the limit with both brands IMO.

BBKK
    IA

Maybe make a new topic with your location asking if anyone around you has one of those rods that you could check out. Only way to see which one you will like is to hold it in your hand. With that being said, all three are top notch rods. You won’t go wrong with whichever you choose.

I’m down in the quad cities and I have a TUCR precision noodle, and a custom noodle and 36″ ULXF spoon rod from trumar (a guy on here). You are welcome to check them out if you ever fish down this way. Just let me know and we can meet up on the ice!

I think the noodles would fit what you are looking for in a perch rod if you fish with smaller baits. Our perch here aren’t record breakers. The 36″er would be a great spoon rod for perch and smaller walleyes I bet!

renegadewalleye

Quote:

Quote:

when I first order a thorne Bros rod I was trying to get a split grip handle an they said they couldn’t get one so I still got the walleye sweet heart and later on got a precision split grip from TUC.

I don’t understand how a TUC would be more customizable than a TB? TB has more blanks styles and essentially will make whatever you want. The sky’s the limit with both brands IMO.

Michelle1969
    NULL

I have a quick question, what is the difference between TUCR Eva handle and a TB stealth handle? Are they that much lighter than cork? thanks

Bassn Dan

Quote:

I have a quick question, what is the difference between TUCR Eva handle and a TB stealth handle? Are they that much lighter than cork? thanks

They both are EVA. The black handles are really more of a style choice.

The difference in weight compared to cork is a fraction of an ounce in the handle area of the rod and that is not going to make a difference in the rod’s sensitivity. Keeping weight off the rod’s blank with lighter guides makes a difference in the rod’s feel, but a very small difference in the handle area not so much. Much more weight can be saved with a lighter reel if you want the overall combo to be lighter.

Dan

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I have fished with DH, Thorne and Tuned up and I have liked all 3. I have found DH to be less expensive. While Thorne has the most options and Tuned up to have one of the fast turn around times. All 3 are great and you would be happy with either one. I know DH wasn’t in the question but I do not have any experience with Austin rods.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.