Aerator question

• brueggemanate
    NW Iowa

Do fish change there location and or depth when the aerator is turned on the lake. Are they closer to the aerator because it has more oxygen?

jigmasterflex
    Lake Wissota, Wisconsin

on a lake I fish a lot late ice the crappies and gills suspend around the aerator pretty thick, the lake is actually pretty good sized so it surprised me how many fish show up there, they put flags out around it so we’d poke around the edges of the roped off area but one day it was snowing pretty bad and nobody else was around so I ducked under and started drilling and that was pretty impressive, not much on bottom but tons of fish about halfway down in 10-14 FOW

jigmasterflex
    Lake Wissota, Wisconsin

I think the ropes are more of a suggestion than a law so don’t condemn me on that one

brueggemanate
    NW Iowa

Thanks. I’ll have to go do some drilling and see

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Fish near the aerator. They are there because the lake is susceptible to winter kill because of low oxygen, but those aerators won’t oxygenate the whole lake. The further from aerator the lower the oxygen.

BBKK
    IA

Just be careful, ice will be thin around it!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Just be careful, ice will be thin around it!

So true. You don’t have to be right on the edge of the open water. The oxygenated water will make it a good distance from the open area under the ice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.