Lazer/Lazer Synthetic vs. Mora

• rednax
    Southern WI

Been looking at the lazer synthetic hand auger, do the lazer augers cut faster/easier compared to the mora?

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I would say a lot easier. I have no experience with the synthetic hand version though. My buddy has the synthetic striklite power auger and that thing is always freezing up.

zachabbott
    NULL

Quote:

Been looking at the lazer synthetic hand auger, do the lazer augers cut faster/easier compared to the mora?

I had a mora. Just got rid of it this year! I spent a little more for a lazer auger. It is the BEST hand auger for the price.it cuts a hole in the ice like a knife to butter. There is no needed downward pressure, just a little though to keep it straight. I got so frustrated with my mora. The blades on the mora are just really bad! They are really sensative to pitch, meaning you have to buy new blades a lot.

Now, for the new synthetic auger, I’ve heard it good. I heard from a guy on here that the only difference is about a pound and 70$. So all I can say is spend a little extra to get a LOT extra!! Hope this helps

BBKK
    IA

Yep, lazers cut easier than mora when sharp. Lazer blades dull faster than flat blades from what I have experienced.

If you want to drill a lot easier, drop down one size from an 8″ to a 7″ or 6″ to a 5″. My 5″ mora is so much easier to drill with than my pops’ 6″ lazer. He usually says to just take the 5″er and leaves his in the truck. The hang-up at the bottom of the hole with a lazer auger STINKS! Mora goes right through.

NoFish

Compared to the Mora, the Lazer is a completely different animal. One thing to keep in mind is that I believe the synthetic lazer takes a different blade, and I don’t see them around very much. For me that’s a deal breaker because blade availability is the main reason I use a lazer instead of a Nils. If that doesn’t concern you it might be worth a try.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quote:

that thing is always freezing up.

Temps below 32F, Upon drilling your last hole, drill ~1-2″ in a dry area. This removes all slush from your last hole, and your next hole your auger will be ice free.

I do this with my power auger every time. Drill Drill Drill, then make a 2″ hole, set the auger down and pick it up ice free later. Just taught my 49yr old buddy this trick last week LOL

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.