Lakes with car safe access?

• mikegr
    MN

I haven’t had time to scout them all myself but does anybody have recommendations for the best Twin Cities area lakes that I can drive on with a car without getting stuck? A lot of accesses are too steep or rutted for me to think my car will make it. This Saturday I would like to go out somewhere like Bald Eagle, White Bear Lake, or Forest Lake but am open to suggestions. I have been hiking out all my gear on Lake Peltier but always end up fishing next to a Cavalier; I want to drive all my stuff out somewhere too!

edit: Should clarify that I don’t really care what lake we go out on. I’ve just caught fish before on the ones I mentioned. This time I’m bringing some newbies along and want to have a good shot at catching something.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Just wanted to note. There is no such thing as “safe” ice. Especially when it comes to driving a car on the ice.

Just be safe.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Both the sportmans access and both public access on Prior had a ton of cars driving on the lake last weekend. Stay on the plowed or worn roads and you will be fine. Should be able to access plenty of areas of good fishing. The sunfish bite was a little tough but with some work you will be able to get a decent # of nice 7-9″ fish. Lots of lookers – you just need to figure out what color or size gets them to bite. Last weekend it was firetiger and real small. The week before it was red and a larger jigging spoon. Good luck wherever you go.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

Just wanted to note. There is no such thing as “safe” ice. Especially when it comes to driving a car on the ice.

Just be safe.

Just wanted to note – There is no such thing as save driving. You chances of being hurt while driving to the lake are far greater than you chances of being hurt while driving on a lake. That is once there is a decent amount of ice. Which there is on most LAKES at this point.

mikegr
    MN

Quote:

Just be safe.

Sure, I understand that. What I meant by “car safe” was an access I don’t need 4wd or a taller truck to get over. Most of the lakes I’ve gone to this year so far have had really nasty accesses that my car is way to low to traverse.

mikegr
    MN

Quote:

Both the sportmans access and both public access on Prior had a ton of cars driving on the lake last weekend. Stay on the plowed or worn roads and you will be fine. Should be able to access plenty of areas of good fishing. The sunfish bite was a little tough but with some work you will be able to get a decent # of nice 7-9″ fish. Lots of lookers – you just need to figure out what color or size gets them to bite. Last weekend it was firetiger and real small. The week before it was red and a larger jigging spoon. Good luck wherever you go.

Thanks!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Medicine Lake in New hope is ussually good to get on. I drove my Carolla on there a lot.

frezerfisher

I have a saying (all ice is safe till it breaks the it is bad ice)Just be real careful.

johnnyg105
    Hugo, MN

Medicine looks good from the webcam http://www.mnlakecams.com/harty/harty.html Centerville was getting bad on both access points. WBL Ramsey beach is pretty steep but you might be able to get on at Bellaire Beach. Bald Eagle should be good also unless it’s went rapidly downhill the last week.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Medicine is good. I had about 18″+ out there last Saturday. The best part about Medicine is you don’t need to hole hop and scout fish. Just find a shanty town with 100+ vehicles.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Anybody been in the Chisago area lately?

ps0345

Quote:

Anybody been in the Chisago area lately?

16-18 Franky’s Plowed a road on South Lindstrom. Off Soderquist acesss in the channel.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks. Thinking of heading up tomorrow morning to a couple of old haunts in the area. Depends on weather.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

South Center had cars driving around, you’ll get plenty of fish, just very small ones! Access is right off Highway 8, Jeff’s garage on left little ice cream stand and Hotel is right there on right where you turn in. We went in by Pancake Island and the hole out in front of the rehab center.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Glad you didn’t try my secret spot.

Ha ha

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

North of the cites there are a number of lakes with plowed roads. Pokegama, Ann, Fish to name a few. If you are thinking of heading up that way maybe just stop by fish lake bait and ask. They seem to have a pretty good handle on the area lakes.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Glad you didn’t try my secret spot.
    Ha ha

is the rehab center the secret? They do get to get out to see a movie on Saturday nights.

mikegr
    MN

Thanks for the advice everyone! Ended up going out of Bellaire Beach on WBL. It’s easier to drive on than my own driveway and didn’t have any problems. I ended up in shallower water than I planned but we caught some crappies so it all worked out.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.