The versatility of ice plastics!

• Bryan Myers

For anyone that has spent a lot of time fishing for panfish with plastics you know how versital they can be. But I have fished with a lot of people over the years that never realized how preductive plastics can be through the ice.

One of the things I like the most about plastics is I don’t like retying baits on the ice with cold fingers. I have found that through just switching plastic, either style or color; I can change the entire profile, color, or presentation. It is easy to change the way the plastic is presented off of the bait itself just by changing the way it hangs off the hook. I rarely tip my plastics with any kind of meat unless the bite is extremely tough. I didn’t gain this kind of confidence in them over night it took a lot of time on the water and I started out fishing them on spoons also tipped with a waxy. Through the years I realized more times than not I don’t need meat to be successful on the ice. There are some real benefits to having meat on the hook expecialy for the taste to help keep it in the fish’s mouth for that extra second to allow you time to get it hooked. However often times especially for crappies and big gills when they commit they usually hold it long enough to get the hook set. However there are those days where they just seem like they want to chew on something and not just crush it. For me this year my answer for that has still not been larva. I have switched to Trigger X plastics and I have actually had finicky shallow gills, while sight fishing, come in and almost chew on a mustache worm two or three times before finally committing and taking it in all the way. That was something I had never seen before with just plastic.

These are some of the ways I like to rig my plastics, and even change the the way the jig is presented just by sliding the knot around!

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Nice post Bryan! Now go tear up those slabs!

Ekez

That’s awesome! Love the pics thanks!!

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Awesome post good read

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Excellent Post Brian,

I am just learning plastics this year for ice fishing. I got to thinking about how I have bags upon bags of plastics for open water fishing and yet refuse to use plastics for ice fishing.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Awesome post!!!

dld24

Great post man, I started using plastics last year I learned that for the most part if the fish aren’t hitting my plastics they weren’t hitting my live bait either….I like how you can just bite the plastics in half to downsize them and as you said you can hook the plastics so many different ways…Plastics all the way now

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Thanks! This will help a lot

Bryan Myers

Quote:

I got to thinking about how I have bags upon bags of plastics for open water fishing and yet refuse to use plastics for ice fishing.

I was the same way for years, I would just carry micro plastics around with me like I might use them and never did. But on open water I wouldnt dream about not having plastic tyed on. Finally one day while trying to catch enough perch so that we wouldnt starve, during my tech school years, my roomate put some plastic on with his wax worm and my whole prespective on ice plastics changed. We ate well that night!

It just takes time and maybe a day or two on the ice where the fish will probably hit anything and you will gain the confedence you need to use plastics anyday your on the ice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.