Best Icefishing Boot

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I know this gets posted often but I couldn’t find any recent posts. I have a pair of rocky’s now but my feet get cold from time to time. Last week I picked up a pair of Cabelas Inferno 2000 boots. They are very nice, but my feet still got cold just as fast as the Rocky’s. I know my feet get colder faster than most, but there has to be something better. At this point I really don’t care how bulky they are because I still have the rocky’s if I’m going to be doing quite a bit of walking. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

I wear Danner East Ridge boots. Goretex + 800gram + made in the USA, these are the best boots I have ever owned. Expensive? Maybe but not really when you consider the cost of everything else you need to fish, plus these get used for hunting, snow shoveling, etc. etc. I used to wear the big heavy boots with removable liners, but it’s too much weight and bulk and not enough support in those things, I have found and people call me crazy but the bulkier the boot the colder my feet get. Personal preference and budget, but my feet haven’t gotten cold yet in the Danners. Another thing to think of is socks, wear wool socks or smart wool or something heavier like that. $20 pair of socks seem outrageous until you wear them and your feet stay warm.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Get yourself a pair of white Mickey boots from your local military surplus. They’re the best!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

Get yourself a pair of white Mickey boots from your local military surplus. They’re the best!

x99

The boss had some $400 boots a few years back, they were rated for -50F and his feet were freezing at -25F… my feet were toasty in cotton socks and bunny boots… needless to say he and all his friends wear bunny boots now.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Four of my buddy’s and I have the Lacross Ice Kings and none of our feet have ever got cold. Now I would not want to hike to far in deep snow but nice warm feet all the time.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Ever think about keeping the boots you have and use a heated insole? The ones I am thinking about are orange and are about $100. I see them everywhere, a friend used them hunting and said they work great.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Your feet are not sweating are they? Wet socks?
    That was my issue. Kept buying “warmer” boots till I found what the issue was.

shaley
    Milford IA

My old ones were Columbia Bugaboos but no longer made in that style, new ones are Merrill Ice Jams and a sweet boot for $90….Was out yesterday in 6 degrees on the quad and fishing and toasty warm yet wear like a good hiker so not bulky….

shockers
    Rochester

Quote:

Four of my buddy’s and I have the Lacross Ice Kings and none of our feet have ever got cold. Now I would not want to hike to far in deep snow but nice warm feet all the time.

X2

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

One thing I would look into is socks. I always try wear a pair of looser fitting socks instead of a thicker pair of socks. When it’s cold you already lose circulation to your feet to keep your core body warm. A tighter fitting pair of socks becomes a double whammy. Sweat can also be a problem.

Another think worth looking into is head gear. Most heat is lost thru your head. Try a fleece neck gaiter, hood, etc. Minimizing heat loss thru your head & neck may translate into better blood cirulation to you feet.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have good quality moisture wicking socks so my feet don’t get wet.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Baffin.

Also, the socks and fit of the boot is critical. Not too tight and only a med weight wool sock. Must have a moisture wicking sock liner.

If the boots are too tight the insulation can’t do its thing.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Baffin.

I was looking at Baffins..
    2 questions…How heavy are they and how water resistant are they ?

I like my mickey mouse boots but they are just to heavy @ 53oz each…..

competitor
    South central, mn

I have size 14 feet, long and skinny. I had the same problem. Bought Rocky PAC boots, put on liner socks and quality wool, stick on cheap toe Warmers, and I am good to go.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I don’t which is best, but I know which isn’t. Last year I settled for the clam boots because I couldn’t get the pair I wanted in my size (14). They looked good at first sight but they are already hanging by a thread after 1 year. and for $150 last time I ever buy anything that says clam on them.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Quote:

I don’t which is best, but I know which isn’t. Last year I settled for the clam boots because I couldn’t get the pair I wanted in my size (14). They looked good at first sight but they are already hanging by a thread after 1 year. and for $150 last time I ever buy anything that says clam on them.

was this the Onyx boots or the Glacier pass boots. you might want to reconsider and check out the Sub Zero boots. there is no stitching on these. they are all welded insulated rubber boots. I was skeptical of them at first but gave them a try and have been very happy with them. the key is to pair them with a wicking base sock and a wool sock over that. they are very warm and totally water proof.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Baffin.

I was looking at Baffins..
    2 questions…How heavy are they and how water resistant are they ?

I like my mickey mouse boots but they are just to heavy @ 53oz each…..

Not sure on the weight but I can tell you I don’t notice. I’m a small person at only 160 lbs if that tells you anything.

If you buy Baffin, I recommend the boots with a leather upper. Not sure on the model. I have never had wet feet in mine so they have phenomenal resistance to slush and water. I’ve stepped in water up to 8″ deep without issue.

I’ve had mine for over 10 years but you wouldn’t be able to tell. They look a year old.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

x2, my feet always used to get cold. Picked up a pair of Ice kings and they have not gotten cold since.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Also, looking at grams of thinsulate is a terrible way to determine how warm they will be. R-value is the true measure of insulation, unfortunately no boot manufacturer gives an “r-value”

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

There are very few situations my Sorel Caribous cant handle. I think I’m on my 3rd set of felt liners. I also have a newer set of Lacrosse Pine Top Leather but have hardly wore them. Very warm and I replaced the foam liners with good ole felt. Nice boots. I also have a super heavy duty pair of pack boots made by Cabelas years ago. I think I have worn them twice but always know they are ready should I fish terribly cold temps. All of my winter boots are one size larger to accommodate a good sock or two.

tripjorgen
    NESD

I have the black millitary Mickey boots. My feet were always the first to freeze. Now with my Mickey boots my feet don’t get cold at all. Yes they are heavy but with some conditioning you will get used to it. I think I paid $35 for mine which is a great price. One problem I found is if you use ice cleats the soles are a little big for most cleats (haven’t tried yaktrax yet). Now if I could find a pair of gloves I would be set. I have the big frabill gloves like the guys on Ido where but my fingers still get a little cold

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Quote:

x2, my feet always used to get cold. Picked up a pair of Ice kings and they have not gotten cold since.

X3 Warmest boots I’ve ever owned, almost 16 years old. I wouldn’t want to dance in them

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

This one looks pretty good!
    Sorry Len, copyright infringement.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Thanks biggill

Quote:

I have the black millitary Mickey boots. My feet were always the first to freeze. Now with my Mickey boots my feet don’t get cold at all. Yes they are heavy but with some conditioning you will get used to it.

I’ve had the Mickey boots for 7yrs ….I just cannot deal with weight anymore….

I’m getting to be an old fart now

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Quote:

Another thing to think of is socks, wear wool socks or smart wool or something heavier like that. $20 pair of socks seem outrageous until you wear them and your feet stay warm.

What Smart Wool Socks did you get?

zekoonce
    West Salem, WI

I got a pair of Irish setter 2000 gram water proof boots and my feet are always dry and warm. Made by red wing boots so you know they are good. Price was like $170 I think.

Char’s guide
    Hampton, Ia.

Does anyone know what boot James and Joel was wearing on the SD show? Thanks, Joe

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.