Slender spoons and demon spoons

• Mnfisher2015
    Milaca, MN

Sat morning I was out on the hard water and wow I am now a firm believer in the custom jigs and spins products. Plain and simple they catch fish! I was using just a jig and minnow head for most of morning but then I switched to a slender spoon and it was like magic! I have never gotten that many pike on the ice before in 1 day! Granted I wasn’t targeting them but with no intentions in keeping fish anyways I had a blast! I highly suggest the demon spoon also! I got broke off a few times being I am a crappie targeter for the most part. But with demon spoon and slender spoon the ice just lit up. Thanks for reading!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Congrats on the great day fishing, those spoons really turn fish on! Before I got into the slender spoons and the VMC spoons, I would jig a buckshot or something similar just to keep me busy while waiting for my dead stick’s bobber to drop. Now that I’m fishing Slender Spoons, Tinglers, Tumblers, and Rattle Spoons, I’m out-fishing my live bait on a hook rig 5-1 or more. Like you said it is amazing how much a good spoon can turn on the bite!
    Thanks for posting!

Mnfisher2015
    Milaca, MN

I know the Ido guys swear by them and I didn’t actually think one lure could change so much! I just wanted to share my success while using them so hopefully someone else can share the great time!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve seen good results with PK Flutter fish as well. A lure you wont find in the stores.

fireline
    Rochester

Quote:

Congrats on the great day fishing, those spoons really turn fish on! Before I got into the slender spoons and the VMC spoons, I would jig a buckshot or something similar just to keep me busy while waiting for my dead stick’s bobber to drop. Now that I’m fishing Slender Spoons, Tinglers, Tumblers, and Rattle Spoons, I’m out-fishing my live bait on a hook rig 5-1 or more. Like you said it is amazing how much a good spoon can turn on the bite!

Thanks for posting!

You and James were using meat , right ?

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

Quote:

I’ve seen good results with PK Flutter fish as well. A lure you wont find in the stores.

I echo that. Fell in love with those out here in CO last year. I will be bringing a few home with me when I come back for Christmas to try and fool some fish!

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

It’d be nice if CSJ wasn’t pricing themselves out of business. $5 per spoon is ridiculous…

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

You and James were using meat , right ?

If by meat, you mean a minnow head, then yes.

josh a

I just paid $2.50 a piece for some slender spoons. The new UV buck shots are over $6 a piece. I don’t think CJS is overpricing their spoons at all. JMO

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I’d buy a bunch at $2.50, where was that from? Everywhere I’ve looked online has been in the $5 range.

Zach H

Quote:

I’d buy a bunch at $2.50, where was that from? Everywhere I’ve looked online has been in the $5 range.

Pretty sure Cabela’s had some priced at $2.69. Bought a couple!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

You can buy them directly from CJS at $2.75-$3.25 each depending on the size.

fishbizbob

I believe he’s referring to the New Pro Series Slender Spoons, not the originals. MSRP is around $5.00 however there are some stores/dealers that are selling them a little below that ( for now).

josh a

Joe’s has them for 2.50, every size is the same. I guess those are the originals though, no idea what the pro series is

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Is the difference big enough to justify $5 or should I go with the originals?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Joe’s has them for 2.50, every size is the same. I guess those are the originals though, no idea what the pro series is

Pro Series
    They are painted, as opposed to just metal.

As for are they worth the $5 price tag, I guess that is for each person to decide for themselves. I need to get myself some firetigers!

shockers
    Rochester

I was wondering the same thing about how much “better” the Pro series are compared to the regular. I hope to try both versions out soon next week on Red. Picked up a pro series version at Fleet Farm. As I recall, they were $4.19 each.

One sort of a related issue…most of the Slender Spoons I’ve seen in stores are the 1/8 or 1/4 sizes. But I see on reports/shows a lot of guys talking about 5/16 oz. Any thoughts on how that size compares to what appears to be the more common 1/4 size?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I just ordered my firetigers in both sizes and metals. Hope I get them by Saturday before going out on Medicine.

shamus
    Inactive

Quote:

One sort of a related issue…most of the Slender Spoons I’ve seen in stores are the 1/8 or 1/4 sizes. But I see on reports/shows a lot of guys talking about 5/16 oz. Any thoughts on how that size compares to what appears to be the more common 1/4 size?

The 5/16 size is the same size as the 1/8, but has the added metal/weight. I personally think the 1/4 size is a bit big.

fishbizbob

Quote:

Actually the 1/8th size is the most popular size as it’s the most versatile. You often catch Gills, Crappie, Perch and Walleyes on the 1/8th, where the 1/4th is most often used for Big eyes and Lakers.
    2nd most popular size is 1/16th, mainly for the pan-fisherman.

shockers
    Rochester

Good info. So, if I’m ice fishing – primarily for eyes – on Red or LOTW what would be your go-to size?

fishbizbob

Quote:

Good info. So, if I’m ice fishing – primarily for eyes – on Red or LOTW what would be your go-to size?

1/8th Gold/Red, Gold/Green Gold/Glow for those waters.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

It’d be nice if CSJ wasn’t pricing themselves out of business. $5 per spoon is ridiculous…

This is a short term cost of product development. The finish on the new products is not a tape. The finish itself is expensive and re-tooling production lines is costly. I don’t think the statement is the least bit fair since nobody is twisting your arm here.

BurlapBrothers
    Kavokian Slough, WI

Tough to beat custom jigs and spins. I’ve seen there tackle out fish the guy next to them many a times. I started using them after I was getting out fished by the guy I was sharing the otter with and haven’t looked back since I switched to there tackle.

shockers
    Rochester

Thanks for the advice, Bob! Much appreciated. And wouldn’t you know, that’s the one size I don’t really have. Heh. Back to the store!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

most of the Slender Spoons I’ve seen in stores are the 1/8 or 1/4 sizes. But I see on reports/shows a lot of guys talking about 5/16 oz. Any thoughts on how that size compares to what appears to be the more common 1/4 size?

I like the 5/16 for the river…works better in the current..

The 1/8 otherwise….

As Bob said the 1/16 are killer on gill and perch.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Quote:

Quote:

This is a short term cost of product development. The finish on the new products is not a tape. The finish itself is expensive and re-tooling production lines is costly. I don’t think the statement is the least bit fair since nobody is twisting your arm here.

Ok, well thanks for your input. I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that the vast majority of those on this site aren’t rich, don’t have corporate sponsors and don’t fish for a living. So, while you may say my statement isn’t “fair” I still think it’s accurate. The price of everything…sonars, augers, and now spoons ( which will likely get stolen by a dang slimer, has gotten ridiculous. That’s just a fact.

I realize there are a few folks here that like to jump on those who have anything less than praise to give to a sponsor, but im just gonna keep it real. If that offends you…well, I guess im not sorry at all.

tight-lines

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, well thanks for your input. I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that the vast majority of those on this site aren’t rich, don’t have corporate sponsors and don’t fish for a living. So, while you may say my statement isn’t “fair” I still think it’s accurate. The price of everything…sonars, augers, and now spoons ( which will likely get stolen by a dang slimer, has gotten ridiculous. That’s just a fact.

I realize there are a few folks here that like to jump on those who have anything less than praise to give to a sponsor, but im just gonna keep it real. If that offends you…well, I guess im not sorry at all.

I took a vow for ice fishing and hope to carry it through next summer of not spending so much on tackle. I want to get back to the basic’s and simple fishing. I spent a lot of time and money trying new techniques last summer and they didn’t pay off in the end. I am a true believer in that most products are geared toward catching the fisherman not the fish JMO .

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

I was only trying to let you know that to get a new product or even a new paint job to market costs extra money. Consumers pay for it, not the maker. I wasn’t taking a shot at you. If you saw it that way I’m sorry, I didn’t intend it in that context. Generally waiting a year will see the prices drop. I do agree that this year’s price on the pro colors is spendy though.

The popularity of the spoon itself helps to keep pricing high. Someone here mentioned that Fleet Farm had them marked cheaper for the originals but I can’t recall if they mentioned what the pro series cost.

BORGHY
    NULL

Right now Gander has slender spoons buy 1 get one half off.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.