Sleeping in a hub shelter

• Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Really? Then whats the point in spending the extra 100$ for the thermal version over the regular shelter?

The thermal versions are quite a bit warmer than non-insulated covers, but you can’t get away from the fact that the floor is still ice.

One of the main advantages is the lack of condensation on the inside of a thermal cover. A non-insulated cover will literally rain ice-cold drops on you every time the wind shakes the cover.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I’ve stayed overnight in a clam thermal hub houses a few nights. I don’t try it unless its above 0 with light winds. I use a big buddy which has a very sensitive oxygen sensor. I use its fan to keep the heat moving. We also used foam matts, cots and good bags. Bring a stocking cap to keep your head warm. Its difficult to fish and sleep. Not alot of room if 2 are sleeping. Too easy to drop something in a hole. Remember to have a pee bucket handy! I wonder how well a milk house electric heater with a generator would do for those worried about combustion heat??

castle-rock-clown

I built the floor with red kids snowboards on sale from Menards after Christmas. The thing pulls so easy you can drag it by hand even with a load. Once set up its still portable without taking dowm as I tow the sled with stuff in it behind the floor with the Clam popup still erect and all my stuff inside.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I built the floor with red kids snowboards on sale from Menards after Christmas. The thing pulls so easy you can drag it by hand even with a load. Once set up its still portable without taking dowm as I tow the sled with stuff in it behind the floor with the Clam popup still erect and all my stuff inside.

This is very similar to the floor I made. Also, FWIW I wouldn’t run a sunflower over night.

castle-rock-clown

I use a Big Buddy heater with both roof vents open and the lower corner door unzipped. I also have a battery operated CO detector right next to my head. There is an element of risk in everything we do, furnaces go cowshit in homes everyday and can kill you. Make sure you have a CO detector in your home.

jarrod holbrook

Check out the hammock camping guys. They use an “under quilt” Theory being that your body weight crushes the loft of the sleeping bag and gives you cold ass. The buddy heaters have a good enough o2 sensor to earn them an indoor rating if the fuel is kept outside. Vents and a slightly opened door/window should be ok… sunflower, NO WAY! The buddy heaters are actually a great little unit with lots of safeties. “I modified my previous statement to prevent butt-hurt”
    Do whatever you feel is safe folks…

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

“I’ve never heard of anyone getting sick from one”

Hard to talk when youre dead

shamus
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    I’ll chime in here.
    This is something I’ve done extensively in the past, Not so much recently since I pretty much live on the river anyway.

I’ve used QF3, But upgraded to a XL4000T for space…I’m 6’6″ and can’t lay down in a QF3… I used a zero gravity chair to sleep in when in the QF3 and I use a cot now in the xl4000T.

My routine.
    I sleep in my striker suit. No blankies…No sleeping bags…Just wear what I’d wear normally.

I use a cot. Small air mattress on cot. Heavy duty space blanket between cot and air mattress to reject cold air from below.

Safety is very important. I’ve nearly become a corpse from CO.

I put a fan in a door (no opening windows on XL4000T unfortunately). The fan blows air IN. You can let mother nature blow air in…but wind can change direction, and what’ll kill you is when the wind quits. Use that fan to blow air in to keep fresh air around you.

I run a sunflower, or double sunflower heater…all night.

CO2 detector hung in shanty.
    I also light a candle.

When the rattle reel goes…my boots are already on…I just get the line.

I don’t use any kind of floor…never have.

One other important thing to mention that I do differently than most is to keep the heater off the ice. I am not a fan of the ice skating rink, or better yet pond that can form.
    Therefore my sunflowers are always mounted to the top of the tank, even if it is the heater/cooker style….I clamp that baby on the top of the tank. Keeps the ice from melting…Common thing for people to bch about sunflower heaters…PICK THEM UP.

I always put a fan in the roof of the house blowing heat DOWN. Certainly helps warm up the shelter.

Do not be afraid to run excessive inflow of air…Just bring more heat. Thus the double sunflower.

Why insulated vs non-insulated…Condensation.
    It is hard to sleep when your hub is raining on you ) Been there done that.

The insulated houses will cake with condensation (frozen) thoughout the night and you will have a thick heavy house to dry out when you get home. FYI… Insulated does accumulate moisture over time….It is just less likely to rain on you.

I cook on the heater/cooker/sunflowers…Something in tinfoil typically.

In the past, it would be a rare winter weekend that I wasn’t sleeping on the ice. Only time it has nearly killed me was prior to me using a fan to blow air IN, on a night when mille lacs when zero wind. Surprised I woke up when my sunflower quit running due to lack of o2.

Sorry, but you may still end up a corpse if you keep doing this. NEVER sleep with a sunflower heater and its HIGHLY suggested to never sleep using a ventless heater…aka buddy heaters. Every year there are dead fisherman using inappropriate heat sources or no CO detectors…which isusally won’t alarm for sometime even at 70ppm. And if your fortunate to live through a CO exposure, plan on neuro sequela.

Three things you can count on from a FB&RM post.

1.) He’ll let you know that he lives on the river
    2.) He’ll mention his size
    3.) Sound advise based on experience.

Seems like good advise too me. He mentioned to use plenty of ventilation and a CO2 detector.

Alex Sharrow
    adirondack park upstate ny

buddy and I went one day/night ran the heater to get the chill off good sleeping bag would of stayed all night but a storm past over got everything wet due not being waterproof and no tarp but didn’t need the heater on all night plus we had cots so we were deff good on not being cold

munchy
    NULL

I’ve slept in my Eskimo Fatfish 949i (insulated) a few times and probably will never do it again. First time was a real learning experience on Red. -20 with 30+mph winds. No need to open the vents that night as the wind came right through the fabric. I also learned not to setup the cot on the side facing the wind, but put the heater there to allow the heat to be blown across. And if possible put your vehicle on the windward side to help block said wind. Keep the heater off the ice if you don’t want a lake in the morning. And sleep in your ice gear, no fabric sleeping bags or pillows as they will only get wet.

Gitchi Gummi

Three things you can count on from a FB&RM post.

1.) He’ll let you know that he lives on the river
    2.) He’ll mention his size
    3.) Sound advise based on experience.

I couldn’t help but chuckle at this!

Scott Kangas

I have recently decided to try sleeping in my insulated hub. I have a buddy heater but was thinking of using a small electric heater at night powered by a Honda 1000 generator. I would put the generator a fair distance away from the hub and run an extension cord. My thoughts are this would be a safer alternative to the buddy. Has anyone thought about or tried this? Thanks

blank

Not to be rude, but can I simply ask why you would want to sleep in a hub house? Other than if you’re in the BWCA or the camping part is all part of the fun.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Lol
    Sorry for trying to help.

With Proper air flow, a sunflower heater will do nothing more than keep you warm.

A buddy heater without air exchange will slowly build up toxic co gas but will shut off before being fatal. Use of vents and air exchange recommended.

I use a CO detector…I imagine spell check changed that to co2 for me. Just to clarify.

A lantern can also kill you without ventilation.

A buddy heater is producing the same co other heaters produce.

You can be a total idiot and not die using a buddy heater because it’ll shut off for you. Probably not a good idea to continually sniff the co, but I’m no Dr.

You can still be an idiot and not die with a sunflower if your smart enough to introduce significant air exchange… As suggested.

I’ve also mentioned that I’ve been THAT IDIOT without air exchange once, and will never make that mistake again… That mistake being air exchange… Not the sunflower.

To each their own solution.
    I’m significantly more worried about my safety when driving on a highway than I am sleeping in my well ventilated shack where I am in control of my destiny. Not so much on the hwy with everyone else, many of which with their phone in their hand, tired, drunk, or just not observent.

munchy
    NULL

Not to be rude, but can I simply ask why you would want to sleep in a hub house? Other than if you’re in the BWCA or the camping part is all part of the fun.

You don’t have a permanent and would like to stay a night or two on the ice.

Would like to be more mobile than a rental would allow.

The experience.

Some lakes don’t have drive-on access or plowed roads for a permanent to easily access.

Cost.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

“A buddy heater without air exchange will slowly build up toxic co gas but will shut off before being fatal.”

I think the issue here fish blood is that statements like this assume a lot of things, such as the unit actually works as its supposed to, or your airflow situation doesn’t change while you are sleeping. Who knows maybe my $100 product, probably made in China, decides to malfunction. If something does go wrong you don’t get to learn from the mistake, its game over.

Furthermore, YOU may not be an idiot but maybe someone reading this post is and they decide that it must be fine to go ahead and use a non-vented heater inside while sleeping. Maybe they think they know what “properly vented/airflow” means but they are wrong….

I wont tell someone they cant do it – that’s each individuals choice, but I think its a very bad decision with dire consequences

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I don’t know where your standing at this moment, but you could throw a rock and hit 5 things that could cause injury or death if used improperly.

To your point however, it’s not all bad that my statements are challenged as it gives this reader you are concerned about a chance to see the harm.

BTW. co kills a lot of people who aren’t laying down and sleeping. It doesn’t just pick on those who want to sleep in a hub house. It doesn’t care if your standing up or sitting down in a partially enclosed boat trolling for hours on superior on a dead calm day…

Sunflowers are widely sold.
    The risk is out there already.
    User beware

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Oh, and I’m 6’6″ and live on the river.
    Slab raps are great.

And if you wanted to know how much air exchange is enough exchange… That CO detector should do a good job of warning you early enough, similar to a buddy heater shutting off, and you can adjust your program accordingly

prospector
    Wyoming

I sleep on the lake in my huts 10 to 15 nights a year and have learned to just keep my buddy heater close to my bed. Before I go to sleep, I just turn it to pilot light. In the morning when I wake up, crank it up to high and wait five or 10 minutes before getting out of the bag. Not a bad night sleep if you ask me. I do feel a lot more comfortable with the heater turned off. Most nights I am up every few hours catching fish anyway. I have a CO detector and have never had any readings over zero, knock on wood. I am getting ready to take a nine day trip down to flaming gorge on the Wyoming Utah border chasing Burbot and Lake trout. Can’t wait! This will be my longest trip ever staying on the ice.

shamus
    Inactive

Oh, and I’m 6’6″ and live on the river.
    Slab raps are great.

Lol, nice.

Woodshed
    Elk River, MN

“Oh, and I’m 6’6″ and live on the river.
    Slab raps are great.”

That is pretty funny. I guess some men are just longer than others????

Seriously, not being a smart ass and for the benefit of the guy that wants to bring his wife out, what do you use for a fan and more importantly, what powers it? Batteries?

That reason I ask is that fan is going to be your single point of failure. If it quits, the plan fails. If he’s going to try and use your advise, I want to ensure he knows what you use.

I agree, buddy heaters are a vast improvement over a sunflower. If someone tells me they go to sleep with a sunflower running, my old guy niceness reverts to my younger man’s bluntness and I’ll call it like it is, “your a dumb ass”. Particularly if you bring someone with.

All that said, for the guy that got this thread going again. Don’t take any of this wrong, GO FISHING! Bring the wife. Have a good time.

Just want you to be safe brother.

evobassfish

What kind of co2 detectors are you guys using in your hubs when sleeping overnight?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

“Oh, and I’m 6’6″ and live on the river.
    Slab raps are great.”

That is pretty funny. I guess some men are just longer than others????

Seriously, not being a smart ass and for the benefit of the guy that wants to bring his wife out, what do you use for a fan and more importantly, what powers it? Batteries?

That reason I ask is that fan is going to be your single point of failure. If it quits, the plan fails. If he’s going to try and use your advise, I want to ensure he knows what you use.

I agree, buddy heaters are a vast improvement over a sunflower. If someone tells me they go to sleep with a sunflower running, my old guy niceness reverts to my younger man’s bluntness and I’ll call it like it is, “your a dumb ass”. Particularly if you bring someone with.

All that said, for the guy that got this thread going again. Don’t take any of this wrong, GO FISHING! Bring the wife. Have a good time.

Just want you to be safe brother.

Rude brother.

A fan fails, a CO detector is the safety.
    Can bring two of those if you like.

I feel like we’re skimming and not Reading too often…

That boat did not have air exchange.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    I don’t know where your standing at this moment, but you could throw a rock and hit 5 things that could cause injury or death if used improperly.

To your point however, it’s not all bad that my statements are challenged as it gives this reader you are concerned about a chance to see the harm.

BTW. co kills a lot of people who aren’t laying down and sleeping. It doesn’t just pick on those who want to sleep in a hub house. It doesn’t care if your standing up or sitting down in a partially enclosed boat trolling for hours on superior on a dead calm day…

Sunflowers are widely sold.
    The risk is out there already.
    User beware

You summed it up perfectly… CO CAN kill you on a boat…which is well ventilated just like your “claimed” fish house. When you are asleep, you aren’t going outside getting fresh air, hence ventless heaters should not be used for sleeping.

But I’m sure no one cares about your life other than yourself keep so it!

Really throwing insults at me personally doesn’t really add much value.

That boat did not have air exchange… You are correct it was out in the open, but without air exchange.

Your buddy heater is a ventless heater too, with a safety.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Some reactions here are about as adult as comments found on YouTube pages.

Woodshed
    Elk River, MN

Wasn’t trying to be rude.

“A fan fails, a CO detector is the safety. Can bring two of those if you like.” Makes sense

Woodshed
    Elk River, MN

Unless you using a sunflower, still wouldn’t advocate it

Woodshed
    Elk River, MN

Unless you using a sunflower, still wouldn’t advocate it

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I just don’t appreciate insults in a discussion… Really don’t help defend anyone’s point, they merely belittle…

We’re all more mature than that I hope.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.