Hard Case: Otter – Frabill – Other?

• rivy2112
    Minnesota

I would like to get a hard case for my rods. What are the main differences between the Otter and Frabill? I am looking to not have to break down my rods when I store them in the case. Right now I am using an arrow case that doesn’t work at all and I can only get one rod in there AFTER I pull my reel off.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Never owned a frabill but i do use the otter and have zero complaints

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

FYI the otter is on sale at fleet farm for $65.00, looks like theres free shipping on fishing gear if you cant get to the store.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I have used soft side cases before buying an Otter a few years ago and I only wish I had bought it sooner. The Otter has been great and I can fit 6 spinning combos in it. I heard about a few other cases on the market but have only used an Otter but love it. The FF price is the best I have seen.

Dave

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

p.s the sale ends the 29th.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If trying to save money you can also consider hard sided gun or better yet bow cases. I love my otter. I must fold reel handles. Luckily my new multiplier reel fit without taking it off the rod. Barely.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

From all the hard cases I’ve seen over the years, the Otter is top of the line. As mentioned, if your budget is tight, the gun hard cases work well. Pictured is my 48″ noodles & my new 48″ Gator stick that I would never trust transporting without a case! About $20 at Walmart

rivy2112
    Minnesota

Quote:

FYI the otter is on sale at fleet farm for $65.00, looks like theres free shipping on fishing gear if you cant get to the store.

Is it in-store only? I can’t even find the Otter case listed on the FF website.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I had some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket, so I ordered one. Free shipping to the house. I could drive a few miles out of the way to a store, but then I’d end up spending twice as much as I had planned.

baldwin4
    NE IA

Quote:

If trying to save money you can also consider hard sided gun or better yet bow cases. I love my otter. I must fold reel handles. Luckily my new multiplier reel fit without taking it off the rod. Barely.

Gun hardcase works great….I have 8 rods in mine…saved money to buy fishing lures…

rivy2112
    Minnesota

Looks like they are all out of stock online!

And I just came back from the local FF and they don’t have any hard cases what-so-ever! x2

super_do
    St Michael, MN

What local FF?

rivy2112
    Minnesota

Quote:

What local FF?

Oakdale

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Gun hardcase works great….I have 8 rods in mine…saved money to buy fishing lures…

I just left a fleet farm store with Plano gun cases for $39. It was very big and would definitely hold many rods.

doof

Just ordered one from marine general for $80. They said they have “a lot” of them.

rivy2112
    Minnesota

I guess I was just hoping that one of the many sporting goods stores in my area had one in stock I could pick up. Since I am planning on going out all weekend and also because I’m impatient.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

That sucks they were sold out at fargo when I checked at lunch as well. Now if I could just get their tires to go on sale.

BBKK
    IA

I’m in the same boat. I think I might upgrade to a hard side case for later this winter, or maybe for next year. I’ve been using a bag style and it gets the job done, but I need to watch where I set it in the sled so it doenst get hit.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Brooklyn Park has one Frabill left as of 5pm. That’s it!

wetsleeves
    Iowa

It took me a few years fighting with frozen zippers and cracked gun cases before I ponied up the $ for an otter case. Wish i would have just done it to begin with and saved myself the money and headache!

Great case. $70 is a small price to pay to protect $500 worth of custom rods…

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I checked out the frabill case when I was there. It had plastic buckles on it and I would be afraid they will break in the cold.

Marcum12

Ice fishing maniac has otter cases for 70.00. It says backorder but I talked to them yesterday and he said they just got a shipment in. I ordered mine last week and it should be here next week.

Paul Delaney

You will certainly be very happy with the Otter boxes they offer room for up to 8 rods and reels very securely along with incredible strength and durability and fail free latches.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.