electronic comparisons

• kwmagic
    Rochester, MN

I have used the vexilar fl-18 for years and love it. now is the time to upgrade and get a second flasher. I have had my eye on the fl-22. The added zoom feature is what I like for suspended crappies, but am curious how it compares to the hummingbird ice 55 and marcum lx6 or 7??
    any words of wisdom out there?? thanks in advance!!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Marcum

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I switched from the FL-18 and went to the LX-5 and not sorry. Even fished with the Fl-18 after I got the LX-5. Can’t speak on the newer models but I would be hard pressed to leave Marcum.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

All of the above brands will help you find fish. I would say right now would be a great time to try a marcum and see if it offers something you may feel is missing.

The vex are just crazy simple to use, but they don’t have as many features in my eyes. The marcum has alot of features and costs less. The hummingbird, i have no experience with them, but alot of people vouch for them while they own them, and then i usually see them being sold for different brands. The lowerance model i wasn’t a fan of, crazy interferrence, however some have told me that you have to dial them in to get them to shine.

kwmagic
    Rochester, MN

now one question on the marcum. can you use one next to a vexilar?? I have heard it gives the vexilar tons of interference?? I like the marcum and hesitant on buying one because of that.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

fished my lx-5 next to a 22, no issues.

the only one that was being a pain in the rear to my marcum was the lowrance, but the interferrence rejection took care of that

scottie56005

(GOOD)

The dial on the 55 is huge. Also has independent zoom. Both nice features.

FL22 excels in shallow water conditions. It is also super sharp and crisp with the readings compared to other brands.

LX-7 give you both vertical and round read outs, something no other brand offers. Independent zoom also.

(BAD)

55 has two cables for the ducer and uses blue on the flasher for the 3rd color.

FL22 only goes down to 60′ and zoom is set at 6′, 12′ only

LX7 is larger and does not fit a 5 gallon bucket. More fragile compared to other flasher.

I have not experienced any feed back issues with any models side by side. Each brand has adjustable power levels so you can play nice with your buddy next to you.

Obviously you can’t go wrong with any of the new electronics but it just comes down to what you want and need.

shaley
    Milford IA

I have fished both my 5 and 7 next to all the vex’s including the 22, the 5 is better IMO than the 22 in shallow weeds also has sharper crisper lines with the SFL and true 3 color where the vex only has 2 colors blended to make 3….No intereference issues with any unit except the FL 12, that one went nuts no matter what unit was around…

wallieye

LX5 for me and not looking at my Vex any more. I think that it does boooger some of the Vexs but that is their problem and not something that should keep you from running a great unit.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Quote:

now one question on the marcum. can you use one next to a vexilar?? I have heard it gives the vexilar tons of interference?? I like the marcum and hesitant on buying one because of that.

Doesnt bother the FW fl8 but drives my sons fl20 whacko.

fisherman-andy

Quote:

(GOOD)

(BAD)

55 has two cables for the ducer and uses blue on the flasher for the 3rd color.

FL22 only goes down to 60′ and zoom is set at 6′, 12′ only

LX7 is larger and does not fit a 5 gallon bucket. More fragile compared to other flasher.

I have not experienced any feed back issues with any models side by side. Each brand has adjustable power levels so you can play nice with your buddy next to you.

Obviously you can’t go wrong with any of the new electronics but it just comes down to what you want and need.

Ice 55 – It has several color palettes to choose from. You can choose from the tradition red/green/yellow. I use their 6 color palette which allows for better detail of fish size and movement. Only choosing the 6 color option will you see blue (smallest detail). You also do not need to use the 2nd support cable. Remove it and use the float tube like you do with a Vexilar unit.

LX6/LX7 – Are you sure these sonars are more fragile then your typical mechanical flasher? Its got no moving parts and has a shield screen cover. It’s possible the answer here would be a mechanical flasher being the more fragile unit.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

I have fished both my 5 and 7 next to all the vex’s including the 22, the 5 is better IMO than the 22 in shallow weeds also has sharper crisper lines with the SFL and true 3 color where the vex only has 2 colors blended to make 3….No intereference issues with any unit except the FL 12, that one went nuts no matter what unit was around…

Yeah my fl-12 hates marcums.

manselmo07
    Hudson WI

I’m not sure if advancements have been made with the Marcum units, but they were notorious for messing up Vexilars. i think it was based on power. If you are going to spend time in a big shack with other people, bring your Vexilar or Humminbird. You can fish in harmony. If you want to start an argument about feedback, bring your Marcum.

That being said, if you are going to fish by yourself or with other Marcum users….have at it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.