Camera VS Flasher

• indy500x
    Minneapolis MN

So I am new to cameras and flashers and have never used a flasher in my life and don’t know how to use one. But I just bought my first ice house last year (Quickfish 6) and built a floor for it this year, and just bought my first auger (eskimo barricuda) and am in the market for a camera or a flasher but seeing the high price of flashers am wondering which I should go with. I have fished with a few buddies that use cameras and one that uses a flasher but I don’t know how to read a flasher and wondering if it would be a waste of money right now? Please chime in guys would like to know as much info as possible, I am itching to get out ice fishing and want to brush up on things before ice gets here!!!!!

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I think you will find that a flasher is much more flexible in the different conditions that you can fish in. Depth, water clarity, ect.

FDR

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Flasher hands down a better choice.

b-j-r
    Pool 4

x2 with the flasher. With the flasher you are covering the entire water column. With a camera your missing out on alot. Flashers are easy to use, watch some youtube “how to” vids. Cameras are fun, but a flasher imho is much more useful. I bought my flasher 1st then a camera the following year. They work well together, but I will fish without the camera, but not without my flasher.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

They work well together, but I will fish without the camera, but not without my flasher.

Totally Dude!!

indy500x
    Minneapolis MN

I didn’t even think about youtube I will have to check that out tomorrow and see.

chirp
    Rochester

Quote:

Flasher hands down a better choice.

There are still some flashers out there that are as cheap as the low end cameras. Camera only see’s the depth of the camera. Just got back into ice fishing last year and the flasher is not that hard to figure out and by no means am I a rocket scientist. Flasher last year and camera for Christmas this year can’t wait for ice.

Welcome to IDO Indy

Paul Delaney

At first glance the flasher might seem a little difficult if you dont understand how to read them but once you are familiar with them they are your number one tool for having eyes under the ice. The cameras are a great tool also but if it is only going to be one for now by far I would recommend the flasher. The cameras are great for identifying specific things such as fish species certain weed types you may be looking for or finding weed edges or transitions from rocks to sand or mud. The flashers really are not difficult to use ask someone to show you how they work and how to read them and I think you will definitely find you will have much more use while fishing with the flashers.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I have both and can say this with confidence. Flasher hands down should be owned before a camera. Get yourself a flasher. The flasher is a must have. The camera is a inconvenient luxury.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

As everyone has stated, Flasher first camera later if you want. Keep an eye on the classifieds here and Craigslist. You should be able to pick up a used Marcum VX-1, LX-3, or LX-5 at a good price. Nothing wrong with any of the Marcum Flashers and a VX-1 can be found for under $200.

hankthecrank
    Broken Bow, NE

Agree with everyone else flasher first, camera second.Don’t leave home without it(flasher).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.