MarCum LX-9 release video!

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I think we can all agree that not all products are right for all people all the time. Sounds like you’ll be sitting this one out. Hopefully MarCum has something for you in years to come.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

This is the one I’ve been waiting on to switch over to exclusive Marcum Can’t wait until the first cold spell for guys to get interested in buying ice-fishing equipment like a FL-8, FL-18’s, Marcum 625sd,…so that I can buy a couple new Marcum units Of which, one will the new LX-9

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Looks cool. personally with trying to outfit 2 people [ Tucker not fishing with somthing lesser than what I have], It definitely a investment. Now if we can make these units boat friendly also, that would be great! Graph , camera , maybe gps that. mounts to boat dash, and then use same unit in winter. Heck a guy could actually be ahead of the game. With both of us having a boat we’ll take 2. James have you tried a LX-7 in the open water?

bee
    Maine

Not for me. I catch too many fish now. Some have to have a chance.

arklite881south

Quote:

Looks cool. personally with trying to outfit 2 people [ Tucker not fishing with somthing lesser than what I have], It definitely a investment. Now if we can make these units boat friendly also, that would be great! Graph , camera , maybe gps that. mounts to boat dash, and then use same unit in winter. Heck a guy could actually be ahead of the game. With both of us having a boat we’ll take 2. James have you tried a LX-7 in the open water?

You don’t need one Andy. Actually I’d prefer you don’t get one.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

I know I cannot wait for this to hit the shelves, but my wallet is telling me I have to. I started donating plasma when they released the info on this 4 weeks ago, just to be able to afford it I will use my lx-5 for hole hopping, and the lx-9 for the shack! Also, the included camera panner is a sweet addition to the package!

As for the gps debate, with most handhelds, its easier to look at the handheld till you get to “your marked spot” than it is to unpack your gear and look on your flasher. Heck, with today’s smartphones, pay 10 bucks for the Navionics app on your phone and you’re good to go for gps!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Heck, with today’s smartphones, pay 10 bucks for the Navionics app on your phone and you’re good to go for gps!

Exactly. Price is one of the largest motivating factors for both consumers and manufacturers alike. More importantly, it’s been mostly absent from this discussion. What would you be willing to pay for a unit that did everything? Current market offerings for GPS/Sonar combos of similar size to the LX-7 or LX-9 are $1500-1700. Would ice-fishermen be interested in such a unit? Even if the underwater viewing portion would be considered nearly free, you’re talking about an ice fishing unit that pushes $2k. Would the market bear that? With the existence of a $10 phone app or a handheld option that wasn’t strictly fishing or attached to a large-housing/battery?

Joel

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

A flasher/camera combo and a handheld GPS is the way to go IMO.

Most die hard ice fishermen already have some sort of GPS unit they all rely on to get to the spot, I don’t think adding a GPS to the Flasher/Camera combo would do much other than drive the price point up so much leaving units on the shelf. Once again my thoughts.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

honestly, i think gps on a flasher is just an added extra that wouldn’t get much practical usage. how close would your gps marks be together? would they be close enough to make it a hole-hopping necessity? if not, you will have your flasher on your handle bars of your atv/snowmobile trying to use the bulky package to navigate you. or trying to look at the screen while you drag your shack….. to me, it just seems like it would be more of an obstruction than an actual added value to your sonar unit. just my 2 pennies…..

skiman39

They should offer the LX7 series in a couple configurations. One with the LX7 platform with a GPS(the LX8) and one with the LX7 platform with camera(the LX9)Seems to me Marcum is not listening to what a good number of consumers want, I know Lowrance has got to be very happy Marcum wont design the Gps into there units cause all the sales of the Elite 5 ice machine last year and again this coming winter. I work for a major sporting goods store in the Northern Midwest and I know for sure we would have sold alot more Marcums if they would have had the GPS integreted in the LX7 last year already. All I would ever here out of half of the guys in shopping for a new ice fishing flasher “does this new Marcum have a GPS in it?” The price of a GPS integreted into the LX7 flasher unit alone shouldnt raise the price much more than a couple hundred bucks more than a regular Lx7.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Seems to me Marcum is not listening to what a good number of consumers want,

FYI – MarCum has already sold through their first production forecast on the LX9.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

The price of a GPS integreted into the LX7 flasher unit alone shouldnt raise the price much more than a couple hundred bucks more than a regular Lx7.

If and when GPS is added in future models expect to pay what you’d spend now for a comparable 8″ unit from other manufacturers.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Seems to me Marcum is not listening to what a good number of consumers want,

FYI – MarCum has already sold through their first production forecast on the LX9.

dangit! i want one now ! soon buddy soon…….

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

This doesn’t mean consumers won’t be able to find one at retail. It does mean that retailers have already purchased the LX-9s MarCum had originally planned for production for the year. To have that happen in August means one thing…. retailers are seeing incredible demand for the LX-9 which flies directly against what a vocal few are saying about the 9 needing GPS.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

This doesn’t mean consumers won’t be able to find one at retail. It does mean that retailers have already purchased the LX-9s MarCum had originally planned for production for the year. To have that happen in August means one thing…. retailers are seeing incredible demand for the LX-9 which flies directly against what a vocal few are saying about the 9 needing GPS.

i figured thats what you meant, pre-ordering on the business side. and i agree with your other statement. adding a camera, and then adding the ability to record you land that lunker with that camera, just top notch. this is my cup of tea!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

adding a camera, and then adding the ability to record you land that lunker with that camera, just top notch. this is my cup of tea!

That’s really what it comes down to. If the 9 is the right tool for the way you fish, buy one. If it isn’t right for you, don’t. Wanting it to be something different isn’t going to change anything.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

adding a camera, and then adding the ability to record you land that lunker with that camera, just top notch. this is my cup of tea!

That’s really what it comes down to. If the 9 is the right tool for the way you fish, buy one. If it isn’t right for you, don’t. Wanting it to be something different isn’t going to change anything.

took the words out of my mouth…… have you heard anything about the lx-6?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

have you heard anything about the lx-6?

Expect a full press release from MarCum regarding the LX6 to be right around the corner.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Don’t get me wrong I love my fl 22 but I like the options of the 9… I hopefully will be getting a camera soon!

skiman39

So what does that mean they didnt plan well enough for demand? maybe they could have sold even more if it was made with a GPS to?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

So what does that mean they didnt plan well enough for demand? maybe they could have sold even more if it was made with a GPS to?

Boy……if that horse hasn’t been beaten to death, you can paint me blue and call me Babe.

bjlange
    Hugo, MN

So when do you think they will start upgrading the LX-7’s to the new LX-9?

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

hey James, can you do me a favor and do a little digging for info on this for me…… just need to know what size and type of sd cards are compatible, and will the micro sd cards be compatible in the sd card adapter, etc…. if you can find those juicy details out, i would appreciate it so i can keep an eye out on sd card bargains from now till the LX-9 is released…. thanks bro……
    Shane

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

hey James, can you do me a favor and do a little digging for info on this for me…… just need to know what size and type of sd cards are compatible, and will the micro sd cards be compatible in the sd card adapter, etc…. if you can find those juicy details out, i would appreciate it so i can keep an eye out on sd card bargains from now till the LX-9 is released…. thanks bro……
    Shane

I’m on it…

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Shane

I’m on it…

much appreciated!! like i said, its easy to save quite a few bucks on sd cards if you catch them online, onsale….

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

also ask how much space 1 minute of video takes on the sd card. that oughta be useful on how many cards i need to take on a weekend trip.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Chris @ Marcum emailed me back and told me this about it….

I tried to get some clarification on this, all I was able to learn was that the LX-9 will use mini SD cards. The specs for record time, etc. have not been released yet.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

At first I was against the idea of the mini. Since then, I’ve purchased a few 8Gb ones, for $5.25 no less, and they’ve worked flawlessly in my digital trail cameras for deer hunting. With the added bonus that my Android phone also reads and displays from this chip.

Applied to ice fishing, I’m looking forward to pulling the chip out of the back of my LX-9, putting it into my phone, and sharing some video to friends stuck at work!

Joel

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.