MarCum LX-9 release video!

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I must admit, it looks fantastic!

Here’s a copy and paste of the official press release that was sent out with the video.

Supreme Technology in Your ‘Office’

MarCum’s remarkable LX-9 redefines fish-finding technology once more

Minnetonka, Minn. (July 9, 2012) – Three-in-ones have liberated cubicles and corner offices worldwide. Used to be that the printer, scanner and copier were standalone units, eating up space with their one-dimensional capacities. In a fish house, sonar and underwater cameras are standard issue, but also occupy space. Both have a footprint. Both are requisite. So what if you took the most advanced ice fishing sonar on the market and merged it with the highest resolution possible in underwater viewing? Welcome to the future of ice fishing.

MarCum Technologies’ new LX-9 Sonar/Camera/DVR System immerses hardwater anglers in a rich, colorful world of fish-finding technology. For the first time ever, it’s possible to view the fish, structure and cover through a diversity of underwater eyes—digital sonar and underwater video camera combined into a single high-tech portable device.

“Amazing… Underwater viewing and supreme sonar all in one,” says ice fishing pro Tony Roach while licking his chops. “The LX-9 gives me wide screen sonar and live underwater video views at the same time, on the same screen. I can even overlay sonar images onto live underwater video. Imagine the potential of this powerful combination.”

Imbued with MarCum’s full menu of famed patented sonar features, LX-9 is the culmination of a decade of intelligent sonar engineering. An 8-inch flat panel color LCD (with RCA video out) plays live underwater video, multiple user-defined sonar displays…or both simultaneously – the readouts actually merge into a single, easily viewable image. Industry exclusive Sonar Footprint™ Technology displays area of bottom coverage at any depth. A customizable “Dashboard” reveals digital depth, battery voltage, range, sensitivity, and interference rejection (IR), as well as on camera screen displays of water temp, camera depth, and relative camera direction. Sonar is also temperature capable when used with an optional High-Speed Transducer.

A built-in DVR even provides screen recording and instant on-screen playback. Unit can also record to a separate SD card, or via video-out/in.

MarCum’s intelligently managed sonar engine is driven by a cool 4800-watts PtP with a switchable Dual Beam (8o and 20o) transducer. Power matters; just ask the fish exposed by MarCums that can easily elude the low wattage pushed by other brands.

The system’s aquatic “truth detector” is the LX-9’s industry best Sony Super HAD II CCD camera with 75-feet of cable. Advanced light sensitive (.01 lux) optics deliver the sharpest, cleanest color picture available, while Darkwater™ LED Light Technology illuminates the viewing area in dark and dirty water.

“The ability to simultaneously compare vivid sonar renderings with actual underwater video advances our fishing skills and underwater perception by light-years,” says Roach. “And with a built in DVR, anglers can immediately capture, upload or review any underwater event. This is a truly remarkable piece of technology.”

The entire LX-9 system comes sheathed in a special padded softcase with a rechargeable 12-volt 9-amp battery, automatic charger and Snow Shield Faceplate. It even includes MarCum’s exclusive Auto Camera Panner for the full underwater video viewing experience – 360-degrees of fishiness in the palm of your hand.

“We remain one-hundred percent invested in the precepts of innovation,” says MarCum Brand Manager, Jon Marshall. “LX-9 is the brainchild of this passion and dedication—it’s the meeting of two essential fish-finding technologies, bringing together for the first time digital sonar and live color underwater video into a single portable unit. And with its built-in DVR function, the powerful images that scroll across the screen will be captured, replayed and shared via other portable electronic devices.

“At MarCum, we’ve long understood that information is power, but passion pulls the trigger.”

Loaded with features and functions, LX-9 is a fish-finding marvel waiting to explore, and to be explored. Visit http://www.marcumtech.com to discover this and other powerful MarCum technologies, and to initiate your own underwater surveillance mission.

About Marcum Technologies

Manufactured in the U.S.A. by Versa Electronics, MarCum Technologies offers the highest standards in underwater viewing systems and flasher-sonar units available today. For more information and a 2011 MarCum catalog, contact Versa Electronics, 3943 Quebec Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55427. For customer service, please contact us at 888-778-1208 or email us at [email protected]. Website is http://www.marcumtech.com.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Here’s some additional info that should help answer some of the follow up questions…

Price point will be $1199.99!

That’s $200.00 less than buying the LX-7 & VS825SD separately plus you’re getting the built in DVR and additional features like the heads up display & video out of the sonar!

This is still a modular system & the camera can be easily detached for the run & gun sonar guy.

People have been asking for a single unit sonar / camera combo for as long as I can remember. Well, here ya’ go.

sandmannd

Dang it!! They actually made something I would give up my LX-7 for!!! That is one sweet machine!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Sounds like a nice unit. At a near 1200.00 Price point I think I’ll let those who get theirs Free or near free be the test market. I am sure like most new electronics there will be a few bugs to work out of the system.

sandmannd

Quote:

Sounds like a nice unit. At a near 1200.00 Price point I think I’ll let those who get theirs Free or near free be the test market. I am sure like most new electronics there will be a few bugs to work out of the system.

I’ll tell you something about the bugs. The first time I had my LX-7 on the ice it kept turning off every five minutes. I got home and Monday morning called Marcum about it. Wednesday morning I had a new unit in my office with a return ticket to send the old one back and that one has been flawless. Are there going to be bugs in some? Of course, it’s a digital computer. It’s how the company handles issues that you look for and Marcum is top notch when it comes to that.

When you talk about the price, figure in what you are getting. Top of the line sonar and a top of the line camera. Try to buy those two separate and you spend more. It’s pricey for sure but well worth the investment if it’s what you are looking for and want to stay light on the ice.

dr._flathead

Is that Sheldon from “The Big Bang Theory”? lol…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Bring on the ice fellas !!

arklite881south

Dear Lord,

Quit making innovations that I can’t decide whether I need or want. I guess I should direct this to Marcum.

Looks brilliant gentleman. I like the fact that it is within 1 unit. I want to run and gun and don’t want to Wheel a flasher around. LOL!!

I’m very excited to learn more.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

I’ll tell you something about the bugs.

Ill tell you something about quality software development… Its called QA, I should not be the tester regardless! I agree the service is good, but I would prefer not to have to use it and have a solid bug free unit released the first time.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

battery life?????

I don’t have any definitive data yet but will share it as soon as it is made available.

loren_keizer

Quote:

Dear Lord,

Quit making innovations that I can’t decide whether I need or want. I guess I should direct this to Marcum.

Looks brilliant gentleman. I like the fact that it is within 1 unit. I want to run and gun and don’t want to Wheel a flasher around. LOL!!

I’m very excited to learn more.

After seeing the video and specs on this unit, I am thinking I may need to sell the LX-7 to get the LX-9! As Chris said, kudos to Marcum on their continuing development of the latest and greatest products! How sweet would this unit be in a boat as well? Scouting spots or seeing what is down below when marking fish that won’t bite?

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Still no GPS…so they half listened to their customers

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Still no GPS…so they half listened to their customers

Well, not exactly. Actually far fewer people want the GPS capability than want to do away with the need to haul around a separate camera and flasher.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I got $250 bucks for someone looking to upgrade their lx-7.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Expect to pay far more than that for a used 7.

3 Words…

1) LX7

2) Upgrade

3) Program

(Not sure if “LX7” qualifies as a word but you get my drift.)

LX7’s will be upgradable to the 9. Details will be announced in advance of the ice fishing season in plenty of time to allow owners to get their units upgraded before 1st ice.

scottie56005

Ask anyone that is going to spend 1k on ice fishing electronics what they want in a brand new product for 2012? Every person that is investing that kind of money uses gps. Now why have to use another device when it can be implemented into a single unit?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Ask anyone that is going to spend 1k on ice fishing electronics what they want in a brand new product for 2012? Every person that is investing that kind of money uses gps. Now why have to use another device when it can be implemented into a single unit?

MarCum did ask a huge number of ice anglers, retailers and pro staff what they wanted to see in future models and the overwhelming response was they wanted the LX7 to be video capable. Companies that invest millions of dollars in R&D, tooling, equipment, software and inventory to introduce new products do this type of research in great detail.

GPS was / is actually quite a way down the list in responses because most ice anglers use a handheld GPS when out on the ice. Will MarCum add GPS to their lineup in the future? I think that’s a foregone conclusion. But it isn’t where the greatest demand is right now. Anglers that want a sonar and underwater camera will save $200 over buying the units separately and won’t need to lug around a second unit.

Suffice it to say… I think it will be well received. If it isn’t your cup of tea, stick with your current unit until the 11, 13 or 15 comes out.

sandmannd

Quote:

Quote:

I’ll tell you something about the bugs.

Ill tell you something about quality software development… Its called QA, I should not be the tester regardless! I agree the service is good, but I would prefer not to have to use it and have a solid bug free unit released the first time.

No one ever asked you to do the QA. Marcum does a lot to ensure a quality unit and they succeed at that. What I was saying is that no matter what a company does there are going to be units here and there that have issues. The vast majority of these worked flawlessly. What I’m saying is it comes down to how the company handles those few that have an issue and Marcum handles them incredibly well.

James, the fact you can upgrade the LX-7 is very cool as well. They were really thinking ahead on these units.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James, the fact you can upgrade the LX-7 is very cool as well. They were really thinking ahead on these units.

When the plan is to constantly add new features and capabilities to their line-up to keep existing customers satisfied it will be more and more important to allow for an upgrade path that doesn’t involve selling last year’s unit for the newest model.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Expect to pay far more than that for a used 7.

3 Words…

1) LX7
    2) Upgrade
    3) Program

(Not sure if “LX7” qualifies as a word but you get my drift.)

LX7’s will be upgradable to the 9. Details will be announced in advance of the ice fishing season in plenty of time to allow owners to get their units upgraded before 1st ice.

Come on James your killing my offer…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Come on James your killing my offer…

Sorry bud. My guess is there will still be numbers of 7’s sold far too cheap by those wanting the 9 that will jump the gun and not look into an upgrade. Craiglist?

ghost78
    Minnesota

Can’t wait to see this in person

scottie56005

Very sweet unit that leaves a foul taste for the vexilar/bird guys. You mentioned gps being down a little ways on the list of wants/needs. What is above gps on this hypothetical list? Can I look forward to something that is ” highspeed ” ???

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Sawing my arm now. I’ll work on the leg tomorrow…

ron_weltzin
    Rochester, MN

You guys think the LX9 is something, wait until you see the LX11 coming out next year.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

I think the unit looks AWESOME and would love to add one to my aresenal! But the price is a little to steep for my budget.

scottie56005

The battery is what occupies a lot of the weight on these things. Sonar brains don’t weight much. The crystal weighs more than the unit itself generally speaking. This stuff has been around since the 80’s anyways. Adding a GPS platform, that doesn’t take up much weight. It is 2012 and we as consumers need to demand the next thing, instead of settling for the next best thing. I don’t buy the “this is what people want” The owner said they think outside the box, then put it in the box. Sonar is old news, cameras are really old, GPS in the new compared to those two. In my opinion even those 3 together is not thinking outside the box. It can be done but they don’t call it marketing for nothing, right!?

skiman39

I dont think Marcum asked many of the Ice anglers there input, almost all the ice anglers I know, ask, or talk to on the internet keep saying they want a flasher with a GPS like lowrance offers, I would say Marcum didnt listen to many ice anglers and just did whatever they wanted. I have both an LX7 and VS825sd and by no means want them in the same unit, doesnt really make a whole lot of sense to me what are you gonna do have the camera down the same hole as your transducer? That isnt gonna work very well when catchn fish wrappn your line around the cord, plus markin the tranducer on your flasher all day sucks to. Oh yea you could put the cord for the camera a few feet over in a different hole and look back towards your bait, but I bet your gonna still mark the camera head on the flasher if your in deep enough water. Plus when you buy both of these units separately someone else can use the one your not using, makes more sense. I bet the battery life isnt very good on this baby unless they put an entirely different battery setup in them, those cameras use alot more battery than the flasher does. You can only use a VS825sd at best all day for 6 to 8 hrs on a full charge on a 9amp 12volt now your gonna run a flasher too at the same time on the same single battery? Whats that gonna last out in the field about 4or5 hours? No Thanks, I’ll stick to purchasing the 2 units separately and keep hoping someday Marcum will really listen to the the consumer and make a flasher with the GPS integreted into it.

skiman39

You guys dont seem to understand that if they would just put a GPS in this head unit you would be able to mount the 8 inch head right to your atv/ snowmachine/ truck with a quick detach RAM bracket and take it back off once to fishing hole and then use as flasher/camera in the case. I surely would much more prefer the LX’s 8 inch screen for navigating from spot to spot over looking at my little 2.5″ handheld GPS screen or little smart phone screen. Now thats what I’m talkin about.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.