Strikemaster Lazer Mag, 2hp Tecumseh

• woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

My Lazer Mag 2hp hasn’t been running real well the last few times out on the ice. It seems to start about the same, and idle the same. But after letting it idle 20-30 seconds and go to drill my hole the auger quits after I give it any throttle. I really have to be touchy with the throttle during the first 6-7 holes i drill to get it high enough in RPM to drill. After a couple of minutes running the auger still boggs down when I give it some throttle but usually not as bad and at full throttle it runs fine.

I mixed fresh gas in December and it has a little Sea Foam in it. The plug is the original from 3 years ago.

Can anyone give me a few pointers or should I just call Strikemaster and see what they say?

Thanks

morey shay

i would start by changing the plug two cycle plugs
    cant tell if fouled
    good luck

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

I would adjust the air fuel pin on the carb, sounds like its getting too much of one or the other

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’d start with a fresh plug then gas. After that dig into carb as far as you are comfortable and clean. After that take it in. That would be my course of action.
    I put in a fresh plug every year. Overkill I’m sure but its an old 2-stoke habit I picked up running sleds.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Make sure your gas cap vent is open far enough as well. If it isn’t getting vented, it will either kill or run like poo. change the plug too. A new plug makes a world of difference.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sounds like a carb adjustment needed. I would guess it is flooding out, when you give ‘er. A plug will not cause this, but this will foul a plug. Start by readjusting to about factory settings, this would be by turning the Low speed screw until it is lightly seated(clockwise) then back off counterclockwise 1 and 1/4 turn. Also do the high speed screw clockwise until lightly seated, then counterclockwise 5/8 to 3/4 turn out. The high speed screw is the larger in diameter of the two. Start there and tweek adjustments for best operation. I too would start with a good plug also

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

Sounds like a carb adjustment needed. I would guess it is flooding out, when you give ‘er. A plug will not cause this, but this will foul a plug. Start by readjusting to about factory settings, this would be by turning the Low speed screw until it is lightly seated(clockwise) then back off counterclockwise 1 and 1/4 turn. Also do the high speed screw clockwise until lightly seated, then counterclockwise 5/8 to 3/4 turn out. The high speed screw is the larger in diameter of the two. Start there and tweek adjustments for best operation. I too would start with a good plug also

After work tonight I bought a new spark plug and installed it. No difference in the way it ran. It still idled fine and giving it any throttle it would quit. I tried with the gas vent open as much as I could and I spun the gas cap almost off, still no luck. I took off the air filter thinking I might be restricting air flow and that didnt help.

I looked for any adjustment screws on the carb. I can find the idle adjustment screw, but I don’t see any low or high speed adjustment screws. I looked on my lawn mower carb and they were very easy to find there, does my auger carb have them?

Thanks for the tips guys, I know its just a matter of time before I get it running correctly again.

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

Mine was doing similar things. Turned out to be gas line was collapsing due to being soft and mushy. Runs fine now.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

Mine was doing similar things. Turned out to be gas line was collapsing due to being soft and mushy. Runs fine now.

My auger and gas line should only be 3 to 3.5 years old, but I will definitely check it tonight.

Tmagill

The adjustment screw should be tucked behind the tank…but sounds more like you need to get into that carb a lil bit and do some tuning

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I used to fiddle with the hi/lo speed adj all the time on my 3hp model 30. I have never touched them on my 2-hp stealth. Not saying they cant move out of position but mine still runs perfect after 8 years.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

I called Strikemaster service in Big Lake. They gave me a tip to tweak the carb and if that doesn’t work I will have to order a carb kit. It should be running well anytime now.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

My Lazer Mag 2hp hasn’t been running real well the last few times out on the ice. It seems to start about the same, and idle the same. But after letting it idle 20-30 seconds and go to drill my hole the auger quits after I give it any throttle. I really have to be touchy with the throttle during the first 6-7 holes i drill to get it high enough in RPM to drill. After a couple of minutes running the auger still boggs down when I give it some throttle but usually not as bad and at full throttle it runs fine.

I mixed fresh gas in December and it has a little Sea Foam in it. The plug is the original from 3 years ago.

Can anyone give me a few pointers or should I just call Strikemaster and see what they say?

Thanks

Well,

My auger is fixed and I wanted to post my findings. I purchased a carb kit and installed it myself. I was somewhat happy because once I got everything back together it fired up in two pulls. However, my auger simptums were the same as they were before.

I made a second call to strikemaster explaining my issues. They told me even though a new carb kit was installed, I still needed to make adjustments to the metering lever inside the carb. The metering lever gets pushed down by the diaphram and the lever pulls up the needle valve allowing more fuel to flow. They told me that it might take several attempts to bend the metering lever up enough to find the sweet spot. If its bent too far the carb will leak fuel even when the engine is off.

It took me three attempts of bending the metering lever and my auger is running better than new. A HUGE thanks to Strikemaster service department, they are TOP notch in my book.

I received multiple PM messages with people having similar issues, and I hope that reading this helps them.

Tight lines

-Woody

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

Thanks, now I know how to fix mine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.