Broken tip on my St. croix Legend

• Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

So I pulled my legend ice out of my rod bag for the first time this year and the tip is hanging on by a thread. The rod is 3 years old and I’m pretty sure I didn’t send in any warrenty card when I bought it. Any thoughts on what the best way to mend this up would be????

Thanks,

Matt

finman

I’d cut the tip off clean from the rod, right where it broke. Then heat up the broken tip piece VERY carefully with a lighter and pull the broken rod bits out. Then lightly sand the rod where the tip will go and epoxy it back on.

Take the rubber spring bobber off before you heat it, or it might melt! Hold the tip with a pliers when you heat it- those little buggers get hot real quick!!!

kruger
    Metro,mn

Quote:

I’d cut the tip off clean from the rod, right where it broke. Then heat up the broken tip piece VERY carefully with a lighter and pull the broken rod bits out. Then lightly sand the rod where the tip will go and epoxy it back on.

Take the rubber spring bobber off before you heat it, or it might melt! Hold the tip with a pliers when you heat it- those little buggers get hot real quick!!!

X2

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

The ones I repaired require a different technique than what finman posted here. St Croix has the two tip sections silver soldered together so a conventional repair as he mentioned does not work. What I have done to repair these is to snip at the break, then take the tip section and separate the two parts with a side cutter. At that point, the best thing to do is to get a new front tip from a rod builder ($2 bucks), put it on with normal tip cement, and then finally add back the part with the rubber grommet. The ones I’ve repaired look factory fresh when done but are 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter than before, although I have not seen any difference in the rods action or fishability. PM me if you want to see a picture of how a repair looks.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

I did this to my buddy’s St Croix Ledgend that was broken in the same spot. You can’t even tell the differents.

Bassn Dan

Quote:

Quote:

X2

X3

And do NOT use a side cutter to trim the blank – it will cut it, but will also crush it causing more damage. Use a cut-off wheel on a dremel tool or go around the blank with a fine edged file to cut it back far enough to remove the damaged area (a half inch or so should be enough.) Then do as suggested by kruger to put it back together. Should be an easy fix, but if let us know if you have any questions.

Good luck.

Dan

josh a

i might consider sending it back to the factory. st. croix has exellent customer service. even without sending in the warranty card you should have no problem getting a new one. i take mine to joe’s sporting goods whenever i have a problem. they’ll mail it in for you for 10 bucks

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

I have heard of others breaking in storage. Not sure how you stored it but you should cut the line and let the tip and spring relaxed in storage.

clicker

What I personally would do is:

When heating a rod tip up never heat the blank. more then a couple seconds can damage the graphite. It melts pretty easy.

Do not use a cutter that will smash the rod, you’ll ruin the blank.

I use a razor blade and or a really fine hack saw blade and then file to cut my blanks.

You can reuse the tip you have if you can get the blank pieces off. You could try using a small drill bit and drill the blank pieces out.

Id find a rod tip glue not an epoxy. Should be no problem to repair this with about 10 minutes of work.

Any rod builder would be able to do this for you for cheap too.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Good luck sending it back, it will cost you 5 or $6 shipping and then St. Croix wants $10 from you to ship it back. Fix it your self.

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

Send it back. I took 2 back to Scheels this fall. I was hoping they would exchange on the spot as they do with their Scheels brand rods. Anyways, they sent them back to St. Croix at no charge (either direction) and no proof of purchase. They didn’t know what St. Croix would do if anything, fix them, or send new ones. A couple weeks later Scheels called and said I had 2 new rods waiting. Great customer service on Scheel’s and St. Croix’s end. That’s why you spend the extra buck and buy good brand names. Luepold is the same way with all their optics. No questions asked.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

This happened to my Legend a few years back. I called St. Croix in Park Falls and this is exactly how they explained to fix it myself. When you need to re-attach the double eye use a dab of super glue, (gorilla glue) and hold it steady until it dries. Then let it sit for a few hours so it doesn’t move and dries firmly. You should be good to go.

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

Thanks for all the information guys, the rod is back in action and I looks almost as good as new.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.