Nils Auger

• crappie23

I have had my Nils power auger the past couple of years and have been quite happy with it. I used it yesterday to drill several holes. This morning when I tried to drill holes it vibrated alot and really cut quite poorly. So I thought that the blades were possible the issue. Took it to a friend who services augers. We looked at the blades and checked to see that everything was tight on the auger. Blades seemed nice and sharp still and everything was tight. Anyone have any experience with Nils Augers that might have any suggestions as to what the issue might be? After checking everything I am puzzled!!

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

You possibly have ice on the blades so it wouldn’t catch? Or did it thaw out over night?

coppertop
    Central MN

Look at each weld on your flutes, mostly near the cutting edge. Maybe a cracked weld, it’ll look like a tiny hairline crack in your paint. I had a 8″ strikemaster that didn’t have a sufficient weld, it let loose and I had those exact symptoms.

bee
    Maine

I would suspect ice since you used it the day before. The flutes on a Nils are 100% welded so that should not be a problem.

crappie23

It sat out in my Tahoe over night. When I took it out that morning I didnt notice any ice on the blades but that is defintely possible. The thing that I did notice that was different than the day before was the ice. It was smooth on top and that night it rained. The top of the ice was all messed up. It just seemed that auger didn’t want to grab ahold. I was actually hoping that my blades were getting dull. Since they seem to be sharp enough I guess that I will be checking the flutes and possible sending in the blades to be sharpened. Thanks for the replies guys.

shaley
    Milford IA

My guess is iced up, mine did the same thing today after 2 holes wouldn’t drill the 3rd untill I deiced then fine again…but may just ship the head to Frank to be resharpened sine I got 4 years on it and thousands of holes…

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Could the blades have taken a hard wrap? Did it get dropped? The blades can still be sharp, just not able to cut, if the angle has been messed up. Frank DeLuca outside of Duluth can re-tune or re-sharpen if needed. Fast turn around.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I have an OLD jiffy that was doing this same thing. I tired new blades, thought it was ice etc. Mine turned out to be the cracked weld as suggested in another post. Once I got it welded up again it was fine. Angle of blade has to be right and any like crack etc can mess it up. Hard to believe that weld broke, cut it is 15+ years, so I must have hit it sometime when it started acting up

milemark_714

Quote:

Could the blades have taken a hard wrap? Did it get dropped? The blades can still be sharp, just not able to cut, if the angle has been messed up. Frank DeLuca outside of Duluth can re-tune or re-sharpen if needed. Fast turn around.

It doesn’t take much of a hit to mess-up the blade angle.I have seen guys whack the bottom to clear of ice.That’s the nice thing with having a chipper blade,can take more abuse.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

Quote:

It doesn’t take much of a hit to mess-up the blade angle.I have seen guys whack the bottom to clear of ice.That’s the nice thing with having a chipper blade,can take more abuse.

Banging on the ice like that is a big no-no with a Nils. It’s one of the reasons why I won’t let anybody use my auger. I’ll drill anybody a bunch of holes if they ask, but nobody lets the beast out of its cage but me. ;-)

DAN J

I’ll second that., you can drive my truck and date my girl but keep your hands off my NILs!!!

crappie23

I went ahead and sent my blades off to Frank for sharpening. After speaking with him and closer inspection of the blades I could see that even looking and feeling somewhat sharp they need some attention. I appreciate all of the responses and help.

shaley
    Milford IA

Frank will get them back to you fast and most times sharper than new…I’m on my 4th season on my head and hope to get the rest of the season out of it before it needs Franks help….With only 8″ at best so far, deep ice may not be a problem this season…

kegger

i would guess ice a thin layer does that to mine even after 10 holes the ice still dont come off if u heat it up it seems to be back to normal. Get a otter auger cover to protect it those nils covers are not to handy and if u put it in that on the ice after use it seems to melt off in the case

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.